DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brother MFC 9420CN Color Laser Printer (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/298595-brother-mfc-9420cn-color-laser-printer.html)

[email protected] February 22nd 10 06:23 PM

Brother MFC 9420CN Color Laser Printer

I'm trying to repair this multifunction color laser printer / copier /
fax / scanner. The person who gave it to me indicated it needed a new
OPC belt. Sure enough, when powered up it gives a message "No OPC
Belt. Install OPC Belt" Unusual, the normal message is "Replace OPC
belt". Once I found out how to replace the OPC belt, I discovered the
belt was already present. And I discovered the tension release pins
on the belt cartridge were still inserted (they are to be removed
before installing the cartridge).

Since a new belt costs in excess of $200, I would prefer to establish
the cause of the error message before spending that much money. There
are no obvious pressure or optical switches to detect the presence of
the OPC belt. Does anyone have any experience servicing these?

PlainBill

circuit February 22nd 10 08:13 PM

Brother MFC 9420CN Color Laser Printer

That means the photodiode or whatever they are using to detect the presence
of the opc belt is not being triggered. Could be toner on the sensor, or
the release pins may be somehow preventing the detection.

Jeff Liebermann February 23rd 10 06:20 PM

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:23:37 -0700, wrote:

I'm trying to repair this multifunction color laser printer / copier /
fax / scanner. The person who gave it to me indicated it needed a new
OPC belt. Sure enough, when powered up it gives a message "No OPC
Belt. Install OPC Belt" Unusual, the normal message is "Replace OPC
belt". Once I found out how to replace the OPC belt, I discovered the
belt was already present.

Try reseting the OPC counter:
http://solutions.brother.com/Library/pdf/sl4cfb/sl4cfb_op_en.pdf
The procedure is at the end.

However, I don't think it will fix the problem. Some sensor (optical
or microswitch) is not working when you insert the OPC belt cart. That
sometimes happens when the wrong cart is crammed into the printer.
Brother makes several that are similar. Verify the number. My
guess(tm) is that there's a microswitch somewhere inside that
activates when the OPC belt cart is inserted, and the connector at the
end of its cable is unplugged from the last person that was inside the
printer. Reading between the lines of your posting, it seems there
was some previous work done.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

[email protected] February 23rd 10 09:54 PM

Brother MFC 9420CN Color Laser Printer

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:36:57 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:23:37 -0700, rote:

I'm trying to repair this multifunction color laser printer / copier /
fax / scanner. The person who gave it to me indicated it needed a new
OPC belt. Sure enough, when powered up it gives a message "No OPC
Belt. Install OPC Belt" Unusual, the normal message is "Replace OPC
belt". Once I found out how to replace the OPC belt, I discovered the
belt was already present. And I discovered the tension release pins
on the belt cartridge were still inserted (they are to be removed
before installing the cartridge).

Since a new belt costs in excess of $200, I would prefer to establish
the cause of the error message before spending that much money. There
are no obvious pressure or optical switches to detect the presence of
the OPC belt. Does anyone have any experience servicing these?

PlainBill

Remove the pins.

Already done.
Do a factory reset.

'Factory reset?' I've reset the OPC counter, and checking the other
counters(page, drum, fuser), they all appear to have been reset. Is
there one I've missed?

PlainBill

[email protected] February 23rd 10 09:58 PM

Brother MFC 9420CN Color Laser Printer

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:13:59 -0500, "circuit"
wrote:

That means the photodiode or whatever they are using to detect the presence
of the opc belt is not being triggered. Could be toner on the sensor, or
the release pins may be somehow preventing the detection.

My idea also. However, the presence of a microswitch is non-obvious,
and there are no signs of optical sensors present. Or maybe I've been
barking up the wrong tree. I've been thinking in terms of a detector
that would be blocked by the cartridge. Perhaps a reflective sensor
that detects the presence of a cartridge. Thanks, some good ideas.

PlainBill

.. .