DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony HT-5500D receiver problems (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/297640-sony-ht-5500d-receiver-problems.html)

rob34[_2_] February 5th 10 11:07 AM

Sony HT-5500D receiver problems

This unit will come on and the protection display will come on. I have
had the volume turned down and I have checked the speakers for any
problems. I have even checked all the output transistors and various
components around the outputs. Has anyone run into this problem with
this unit? Would anyone have a schematic or service manual that they
could email me? Thanks, Rob

Mark Zacharias[_2_] February 5th 10 01:11 PM

"rob34" wrote in message
This unit will come on and the protection display will come on. I have
had the volume turned down and I have checked the speakers for any
problems. I have even checked all the output transistors and various
components around the outputs. Has anyone run into this problem with
this unit? Would anyone have a schematic or service manual that they
could email me? Thanks, Rob

The receiver portion of this system is the STR-K840P.

If the outputs are OK, the most likely culprit is IC501, an STK350-230.
You should measure DC with respect to ground from the center of each emitter
resistor to confirm a DC offset. Most of the amp channels use UPC series
drivers which are quite reliable, the one channel using the STK is a
frequent offender. Sony won't allow me to distribute their service
literature.

Mark Z.