DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   USB Cable with Aluminum Shield Braid (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/297354-usb-cable-aluminum-shield-braid.html)

Wild_Bill February 1st 10 10:29 AM

USB Cable with Aluminum Shield Braid

I was fixing a mutilated cable for a friend's portable music/video player
with a weird connector at the device end.

So I figured if I could get the connector shell open, I'd just use a new USB
cable to replace the original cable which had a USB connector at the other
end. The shell opened with an appropriate amount of pressure applied with a
ChannelLock plier (with thick tape applied to the jaws).

After preparing the end with shrink tubing and splaying the conductors so
they would be able to connect to the ridiculously small conacts inside the
connector, I began to tin the leads with solder, but the shield braid wire
would not tin.

With a magnifier, there was no visible pink copper color at the ends of the
freshly cut strands.

I don't know where the USB cable came from, but the wrapper and a sticker on
the cable are marked 14G000505709. The sticker also includes: ROHS
Compliant.

The cable jacket is printed with AWM E101344 style 2725 60*C 30V Space
Shuttle-D USB Revision 2.0.

--
Cheers,
WB

N_Cook February 1st 10 12:42 PM

Wild_Bill wrote in message
[...]

You can get aluminium solder but beware the flux is extremely corrosive. Use
an old soldering iron tip to use it.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Gerard Bok February 1st 10 01:13 PM

USB Cable with Aluminum Shield Braid

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 05:29:48 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I was fixing a mutilated cable for a friend's portable music/video player
with a weird connector at the device end.

After preparing the end with shrink tubing and splaying the conductors so
they would be able to connect to the ridiculously small conacts inside the
connector, I began to tin the leads with solder, but the shield braid wire
would not tin.

Wrap & twist some bare copper wire around the braid :-)

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

Wild_Bill February 3rd 10 10:47 PM

USB Cable with Aluminum Shield Braid

Thanks for your reply. Adding a copper extension was a consideration, but
there is too little space available.

I'll just use a cable with a real tinned copper shield.

--
Cheers,
WB

Wild_Bill February 3rd 10 10:55 PM

USB Cable with Aluminum Shield Braid

Thanks for your reply. You're correct about aluminum (or aluminium, some
places) solders and fluxes.

I think finding a copper braid shielded cable should be the solution.

How hard could that be? (as they often say on Top Gear).

--
Cheers,
WB