DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HP 3581A LED digits not lighting (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/294923-hp-3581a-led-digits-not-lighting.html)

fazeka December 27th 09 11:06 PM

HP 3581A LED digits not lighting

Hi,

I have a 3581A that was working a few years ago when I purchased it
off eBay (yes, yes, I know).

I went to power it up recently (not having powered it up for about a
year) when
I noticed that the inner two LED digits are not lighting. I'm not
talking about
missing segments, but the inner digits not working altogether:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5645/3581aled.jpg

Working the frequency control I can see the lighted digits changing,
but that's
all.

Is this a repair that is straightforward? I consider myself handy.
Otherwise,
any tips/advice on where to have this thing sent for repair?

Thanks,
Chris

Jamie December 28th 09 02:47 AM

fazeka wrote:

Hi,

I have a 3581A that was working a few years ago when I purchased it
off eBay (yes, yes, I know).

I went to power it up recently (not having powered it up for about a
year) when
I noticed that the inner two LED digits are not lighting. I'm not
talking about
missing segments, but the inner digits not working altogether:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5645/3581aled.jpg

Working the frequency control I can see the lighted digits changing,
but that's
all.

Is this a repair that is straightforward? I consider myself handy.
Otherwise,
any tips/advice on where to have this thing sent for repair?

Thanks,
Chris

Can't be much..
most likely a cable header connection.

Michael A. Terrell December 28th 09 01:05 PM

fazeka wrote:

Hi,

I have a 3581A that was working a few years ago when I purchased it
off eBay (yes, yes, I know).

I went to power it up recently (not having powered it up for about a
year) when
I noticed that the inner two LED digits are not lighting. I'm not
talking about
missing segments, but the inner digits not working altogether:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5645/3581aled.jpg

Working the frequency control I can see the lighted digits changing,
but that's
all.

Is this a repair that is straightforward? I consider myself handy.
Otherwise,
any tips/advice on where to have this thing sent for repair?

Thanks,
Chris

Here is the service & operation manual:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/lit...3581-90012.pdf

The display circuit is on page 140.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

hr(bob) [email protected] December 30th 09 02:25 AM

HP 3581A LED digits not lighting

On Dec 28, 7:05*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
fazeka wrote:

[...]

Greed is the root of all eBay.- Hide quoted text -

First suspect is the cable connecting the display to the main board.
Try moving the cabke in and out slightly at each end. Then dig into
the 170 pages of the manual.