Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 12 Multimeter Display Problem

Hi Meat Plow,

Yes, that procedure works for a while (a year or so), but eventually, it
has to be done again.

John

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:59:57 -0400, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:37:34 -0400, rote:

Hi Meat Plow,

That is what I have done, but I use a special cleaning 100% alcohol I
ordered from MCM Electronics years ago.

John

Well I assume it worked out ok for you. We used to use a 100% alcohol
for swabbing tape heads back in my days as a warranty service tech for
Circuit City's mobile audio stuff.

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:16:41 -0400, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:17:59 -0400,
rote:

Hi,

Back in 1995, I bought a Fluke "12" Multimeter (digital) because of a
special feature (Max & Mim) it has. I have not used that meter often over the
years, unless I needed to use that special feature.

I have a display problem. Not all the segments of a digit are "active".
I had worked on this problem more than once over the years. The display
panel has those problematic edge contacts.

Does anyone know of a good fix for this problem?

Thank You in advance, John

PS, Remove "ine" from my email address

If you remove and clean the edges of the display and all the contact
points and its connections to the board with 90% alcohol with a
lintless swab that should restore the display for another few years if
not longer. I've done this to my Fluke 77 twice in the 20 years I've
had it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The rubber permanently relaxes so you have to narrow the spacing/ increase
the closure force, ISTR running a film of solder over the pcb lands in one
such case, otherwise change/cut back any spacing arrangement, ie not
increased pressure on the glass

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:57:26 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

If you remove and clean the edges of the display and all the contact
points and its connections to the board with 90% alcohol with a
lintless swab that should restore the display for another few years if
not longer. I've done this to my Fluke 77 twice in the 20 years I've
had it.

I have a Fluke 10 and a Fluke 77. Over the last 10 and 20 years
respectively, I've had to clean each roughly every 5 years. I used
ordinary 90% alcohol and let it air dry before reinstalling. 100%
alcohol is hydroscopic and rapidly absorbs moisture from the air.
Alcohol also tends to harden rubber, which is not a great idea for a
rubber connector.

What seems to work the best is xylene based "rubber restorer" that I
use for softening the rubber rollers in laser printers.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/all/S03
It did some experimenting and found that it causes the rubber to
soften and swell slightly, which was exactly what I needed.

However, there was a problem. LCD's don't draw much current so Fluke
used the cheaper carbon conductive Zebra connector instead of the more
expensive silver contacts.
http://www.fujipoly.com/products/genProductLine.asp?ProductLine=Zebra
http://www.fujipoly.com/design/genDesignGuidelineArticle.asp?ContentItemID=dga_10 10
http://www.fujipoly.com/PDF/2007_Catalog.pdf (4.5MB)
The strip tends to deform and stay deformed if compressed. Note that
the Zebra connector is intended to be compressed 8% to 20% with 10% to
15% as the target value. You can see it with a microscope.

I learned all this the hard way dealing with display failures in a
product I helped design. Products would get returned for various
other failures. However, when reassembled, the LCD display would show
missing segments.

I built a fixture (milled slot in an aluminum block with a flat cover.
Drop the old Zebra connector inside, slop some rubber restorer on the
strip, and slightly compress from the ends. This worked, but was
strictly an experiment, and not intended to be a repair procedure.
What we found was that over compressing the Zebra connector would
create an uneven edge, which would not make very good contact. Someone
noticed that the worst connection problems were in the middle of the
Zebra strip. That's where the customer and techs, trying to repair
the problem would squeeze the PCB and LCD together, bending the PCB
slightly. That would temporarily increase the connector pressure, but
result in a bad connection when released. Resist the temptation to
squeeze the strip. We reduced the compression to about 10% which
eliminated the visible deformation. Reassembling the Zebra strip in
the original orientation was also a big help.

Someone later discovered that the PCB was bending slightly in wave
soldering. Stiffeners were added prior to soldering, which totally
eliminated the problem.

The rubber permanently relaxes so you have to narrow the spacing/ increase
the closure force, ISTR running a film of solder over the pcb lands in one
such case, otherwise change/cut back any spacing arrangement, ie not
increased pressure on the glass

I'm fairly sure that won't work. The problem is that there's no way
to insure that the soldering is the same height across the strip. Some
solder lumps will be higher than others, resulting in an uneven
compression of the rubber. If you then move the Zebra strip even
slightly, you'll end up with air gaps in the over-compressed areas.

Incidentally, Zebra connectors are also a problem with HP41C series
calculator.

Mo
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_audiofaqc.html#AUDIOFAQC_012

--