DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Co-locate XM Terk Antenna on Directv Dish (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/282708-co-locate-xm-terk-antenna-directv-dish.html)

Perry Aynum July 19th 09 02:44 PM

Co-locate XM Terk Antenna on Directv Dish

I had a Dish installed on my roof. I also have a Terk XM antenna that would
get a good signal where the Dish is.

Can I mount the XM antenna on the Dish bracket without causing any signal
interference?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Liebermann July 19th 09 05:13 PM

Co-locate XM Terk Antenna on Directv Dish

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:44:57 -0400, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

I had a Dish installed on my roof. I also have a Terk XM antenna that would
get a good signal where the Dish is.

Can I mount the XM antenna on the Dish bracket without causing any signal
interference?

As long as the XM antenna is not in FRONT of the dish, blocking the
dishes view of the sky, it might work. The problem is that mounting
the XM antenna behind the dish is going to make the dish block out a
large part of the sky. That's not very useful. Since the dish
usually overhangs the top of the mounting pipe, there's no way to add
an extension pipe to install the XM antenna on top. This isn't going
to work.

Methinks your best bet is to get the stock Terk outoor mounting
contraption:
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2004
and install it somewhere away from the dish.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

JB[_5_] July 19th 09 05:49 PM

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
I had a Dish installed on my roof. I also have a Terk XM antenna that

would
get a good signal where the Dish is.

Can I mount the XM antenna on the Dish bracket without causing any signal
interference?

Thanks for any help.

Depends on where the birds are in relation to the antennas. I suspect that
if mount the XM patch no higher than the Dish LNB, it won't interfere, but
only as long as the down converters don't interfere with each other. This
should be minimized if you mount the patch behind and around the LNB and
adjust for best XM signal spilling off the Dish. So it is likely to help
the XM without hurting the Dish. If the XM bird is much higher than your
Dish bird, you will have to mount XM behind the dish and no harm no help.

All that should matter is that they will see the sky and keep the cables
short.

[email protected] July 20th 09 07:06 PM

Co-locate XM Terk Antenna on Directv Dish

wrote:

I had a Dish installed on my roof. I also have a Terk XM antenna that would
get a good signal where the Dish is.

Can I mount the XM antenna on the Dish bracket without causing any signal
interference?

As long as the XM antenna is not in FRONT of the dish, blocking the
dishes view of the sky, it might work. The problem is that mounting
the XM antenna behind the dish is going to make the dish block out a
large part of the sky. That's not very useful. Since the dish
usually overhangs the top of the mounting pipe, there's no way to add
an extension pipe to install the XM antenna on top. This isn't going
to work.

Actually, it will work. I don't remember where I saw it or the
manufacturer, but someone makes an 'L' shaped mount that piggybacks
onto the clamp that locks the dish to the mounting pole. This will
allow placing small antenna slightly above and behind the dish.

As is usual, this has limitations. In a wind it places an increased
stress on the mounting pole.

PlainBill

Jeff Liebermann July 20th 09 07:56 PM

wrote:

[...]

It would need too be a rather strange looking mount. The typical bent
pipe DBS dish mount stops just above the center of the dish. The "L"
shaped contrivance would need to cantilever back from the pipe about 4
inches, and then go up about 10 inches in order to clear the top of
the dish. However, it will work if it clears the top of the dish.

As is usual, this has limitations. In a wind it places an increased
stress on the mounting pole.

I would guess that the bulk of the wind resistance would be in the
dish, not the mounting.

PlainBill

[email protected] July 21st 09 08:12 AM

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you saw something like this

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...shooterrev.pdf

mm July 22nd 09 10:44 PM

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 00:12:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Methinks your best bet is to get the stock Terk outoor mounting
contraption:
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdI...
and install it somewhere away from the dish.

Perhaps you saw something like this

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...shooterrev.pdf

That looks good. You certainly don't want to drill any more holes into
the house than you have to.