DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Liability & responsibility of electrician? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/281699-liability-responsibility-electrician.html)

Wes[_2_] July 6th 09 01:00 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

john wrote:

The failure that you had was probably caused by your rigger not using an
airride trailer to move the equipment and something got shaken up. Four
weeks of running proves the voltage was not the problem. Some
disgruntled employee probably ****ed in the cabinet.

245 volts is within the normal specs from the utility. AS far as
changing the tap, you should have called in a machine tech to set it up.
An electrician wires only to the safety disconnect switch in the
machine, after that it is your responsibility to call in a machine setup
tech.

Moving a machine unleases the devils inside. We move a machine a hundred feet across the
plant and we often have issues in the near term. Moving introduces physical shock loads
into the electrics, often causes connectors to lose connection, marginal components to
fail, ect. We moved one machine 200 feet and when we powered it up, I had to reload
parameters and pc parameters.

No mention was made of the age of the machine by the OP. Caps dry out and such. It might
have just been the machines time to go. I still think the shop owner is looking for a
free lunch.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Jamie July 6th 09 01:07 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

RoyJ wrote:

Assuming a nominal 240VAC supply, 245V is in no way "not correct" --
it's only about a 2% overvoltage.

And since there is likely no load in shop when the install was taking
place, the 245 would be a higher than normal reading.

But I question the use of "3phase" and "245 volts" in the OP question.
Around here, 245 volts would be perfectly normal for a single phase
circuit, very high for a "standard" 208/3 phase delta.

We still use 208 for ligthing only..

krw[_5_] July 6th 09 01:20 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:40:26 -0700, James Sweet
wrote:

If an unlicensed person does electrical work, the work has to be inspected
by a licensed electrician before the power is turned on. If that was not the
case, there would be no point in licensing electricians, would there?

Geoff.

Depends on where you are. Here in the US, the work has to be inspected
by an inspector, not an electrician. You have to be a licensed
electrician to be hired by most electrical contracting companies, but
there is no law against unlicensed people electrical work. I've replaced
electrical service panels and added circuits for renovations in the
homes of quite a few friends and family members, I'm not licensed, but
it was no trouble to get a permit and have the work inspected when it
was complete. Even licensed electricians have to get their work inspected.

That depends entirely on the jurisdiction. Several cities have
tradesmen full employment laws. Some have no inspectors at all.

Doug Miller July 6th 09 01:41 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

In article , wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
You're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the voltage supplied
by the utility. The utility doesn't supply 220V or 240V or whatever. They
supply (for example) 4KV. A transformer at the point of service reduces that
to 220V, or 240V, or whatever. Different transformers connected to the *same*
4KV primary voltage could easily produce different secondary voltages.

No, I'm not. When I lived in the US, (PECO) the electric company sold
me 240 volt 2 phase electricity. It was nominaly 127 volts, but often
dropped down during times of high usage.

They did not supply or sell me 4kv volts, or anything else.

Yes, I'm afraid you are missing the point. Different locations, even though
attached to the same local grid, may have different supply voltages because
they are receiving those supplies through different transformers.

Doug Miller July 6th 09 01:45 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

In article , daestrom wrote:
krw wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 17:29:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
You're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the voltage supplied
by the utility. The utility doesn't supply 220V or 240V or whatever. They
supply (for example) 4KV. A transformer at the point of service reduces

that
to 220V, or 240V, or whatever. Different transformers connected to the

*same*
4KV primary voltage could easily produce different secondary voltages.
No, I'm not. When I lived in the US, (PECO) the electric company sold
me 240 volt 2 phase electricity. It was nominaly 127 volts, but often
dropped down during times of high usage.

240V isn't "two phase", rather single phase, or otherwise known as
"split phase". ...and it had better not be 127V (maybe twice that).

They did not supply or sell me 4kv volts, or anything else.

They supplied that to the pole. Please read.

What they carry on the pole is immaterial. What they supply to the
customer service entrance is the 'point of sale'.

Very few homes or light commercial service is in the 4kV range in the
US.

Nobody ever said it was.

The service entrance voltage is usually much lower, 240 or 480.

Right, I think we all know that.

In
these cases, the step-down transformer used to convert from distribution
voltage (e.g. 4kV) to the service entrance voltage is the utility's
responsibility.

The utility is responsible for supplying the voltage/frequency at the
service entrance / metering point of sale, not 'the pole'.

Exactly so. Anyone who still doesn't understand how different premises
attached to the same local grid could have service entrance voltages which
are *nominally* the same but *actually* different by five or ten percent,
please raise your hand.

Jamie July 6th 09 01:45 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

John Larkin wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 02:58:00 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:40:18 -0700, the renowned John E.
wrote:

I have been asked to offer an opinion in a sensitive situation.

A machinist moved his shop across town and required some rewiring (3-phase
outlets, conduit, etc.) in order to locate some machines where he wanted
them.

He hires a guy who's not a pro (and later discovers is not insured) but has
done shop wiring before and had a good attitude and track record. The guy
does good work. No complaints about the quality of his work.

Owner throws the switch, all works fine.

The story continues 4 weeks later when the very expensive CNC fries its
controller PCB to the tune of $4000.

Turns out the voltage in the shop was upward of 245 and the taps in the CNC's
power supply were set for 220.

What is the legal and moral responsibility of each party?

What will not be helpful are replies about the character or intelligence of
either of the players or their actions.

Thanks.

IMO, 11% high voltage over nominal should not "fry" the controller
board in the first place.

Yes. The controller was overly fragile, or it may have just had a
random failure unrelated to supply voltage. That happens.

If the owner blames the electrician, don't use him again. Sue the
power company for providing 245.

John

You can only do that if the electric company is actually providing that
245V.
It's possible they are providing 480/460 V 3 Phase, and a in house
transformer is being used. If that is the case, then there should be
taps on the primary side to adjust this how ever, this measurement
must be taken with at least 50% load of the shop on it to get a true
reading.

245V is not uncommon and shouldn't cause any issues, actually,
induction motors run better on peppier voltages.

I may sound like I'm getting fired up over this with multiple reply's
I have made, it's nothing against you John how ever, this comes from
events that I have seen take place at work where expensive electronics
just went faulty on normal use and caused a lot of down time and
material loss. The powers to be that don't know anything about the field
start pointing fingers and when they research to see who was the last one
to have their hands in the machine no matter how long ago it was. They
think its a good justification to start blame storming. Some time people
loss their jobs when they did absolutely nothing wrong only to save the
ass of some one else!.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson July 6th 09 05:44 AM

Doug Miller wrote:
Yes, I'm afraid you are missing the point. Different locations, even though
attached to the same local grid, may have different supply voltages because
they are receiving those supplies through different transformers.

I got that. What is wrong is that the person who wrote that originally (was
it you?) used that to explain why a regular house outlet could be 220 volts
on one side of town, and 240 volts on another, both connected to the same
"grid".

There's going to be some variation, but not that much.

Geoff.

Michael A. Terrell July 6th 09 06:08 AM

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
Yes, I'm afraid you are missing the point. Different locations, even though
attached to the same local grid, may have different supply voltages because
they are receiving those supplies through different transformers.

I got that. What is wrong is that the person who wrote that originally (was
it you?) used that to explain why a regular house outlet could be 220 volts
on one side of town, and 240 volts on another, both connected to the same
"grid".

There's going to be some variation, but not that much.

Nonsense! Do you believe that the entire town is powered by a single
substation, and that there are no I/R losses? It IS possible that an
older part of a town hasn't been upgraded in a long time, and that the
additional load pulls the line voltage down at the end of a MV feed
while another site is closer to a substation and has higher voltage
available to the building.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt July 6th 09 06:48 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:16:00 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:04:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

We must ask you at this point...what is your definition of an
electrician.

Someone who has a license, (and/or) is a member of the union, passed a
test that entitles him to call himself an electrician.

But not someone with no formal training, licensure or certification.

Geoff.

So then what am I? I passed the tests, at one time held a (California)
C7 and C10 license, ( as responsible managing employee for a large
company who before me had NO liceneses), have worked for the past 12 yrs
as a machine shop electrician (with no failures to date), CNC repair
tech and so forth.

However..Ive refused to belong to any union since 1974, when my 6 week
stint as a UAW worker left me cold about unions.

Am I just a "handyman" because I dont belong to a union spit?

My business cards indicate that I do electrical (non licensed) as well
as CNC and Machine Tool Repair.

So am I simply a "handyman"?

Inquiring minds really want to know.

You can get a license without being in the union.

Excuses do not make you qualified. Especially if the tests you took
were way back in '74.

Gunner Asch[_4_] July 6th 09 07:40 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Of course I can. And did.

Excuses do not make you qualified. Especially if the tests you took
were way back in '74.

Where did you get that date from? Was that the year you were spawned?

I put my C7-C10 on "Hold" with the California BCA in 1998. I think its
expired now..as I recall, it only had a 10 yr life on hold.

Shrug..another weekend at a Contractors Fast Learn and take the test on
Monday. Not a big deal. Except the fees and costs.
Which means Ill simply continue on as a CNC tech who occasionally does
electrical work, until the economy turns around. Of course..I may be
near retirement age by that time...assuming the US doesnt melt down
totally.

Shrug

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Archimedes' Lever July 6th 09 09:11 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:40:10 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

CNC electronics cost about 4-8 times as much to fix as normal
electronics. Shrug..its called :"the going rate" unfortunately.

Motor controllers are 70s technology with MAYBE 90s electronics, if you
are lucky. Even if it is a brand new design, it still isn't worth
anything more than any other industrial application.

$4000 is a bit much for a simple swap out.

Perhaps it is guys like you that have inflated the price over the
years. Overt greed is such a sad thing. It produces jerks that thumb
their noses at the entire industrial world, then cannot figure out why
God handed you a heart condition.

I guess that's what they all deserve for buying Japanese CNC hardware.

Buy American. I'll bet that one of Cincinnati Milacron's controller
boards do not cast that much.

Laugh laugh laugh? You say? I laugh at you, jackass.

I say that I hope that chest gripper of death hits you soon, because
you are a major Asch hole.

Martin Brown July 6th 09 09:11 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

William Sommerwerck wrote:
1. Did the electrician have any control over the voltage when the system
was rewired?

2. Is it normal for electricians to measure the voltage, and "do

something"
about it if it's not correct (if only reporting the problem to the
businessman)?

You missed the point of the original post. The person who did the work was
NOT an electrician, they were a "handyman" hired to do the work.

I didn't miss the point (I think). He was doing the work of an electrician.
And whether or not he was a licensed electrician, he is still morally
responsible for the quality of his work. (Think Hamurabi.)

Only if it can be shown that he did something wrong. I don't know what
US tolerances on voltage are but in the UK 245v on a nominally 240 line
(these days 230v with asymetric tolerancing) wouldn't raise eyebrows.

Since the person never said where they were, it's hard to guess what the
rules are but in (almost?) every jurisdiction that licenses
electricians, a license is needed to do electrical work.

If an unlicensed person does electrical work, the work has to be inspected
by a licensed electrician before the power is turned on. If that was not

the
case, there would be no point in licensing electricians, would there?

No, there wouldn't be. But if he botched the job, he has to be held
responsible. Doesn't he?

Iff he botched the job. The kit worked for a while after he left. And he
did not claim to be a qualified electrician.

Had he connected the machine chassis to live and electrocuted someone
then it would be a different matter. But even then the employer who got
in a cut price handyman to do a qualified industrial electricians job
would still be guilty of more serious fundamental health and safety
offences for not having the installation inspected by a competent person
before switching it on. What are the US regs like on employer liability?

Of course, one might argue that if the person who hired him /knew/ he wasn't
an electrician, and didn't have the work inspected, then he (the hirer) is
responsible for whatever went wrong.

Exactly. And that is how the insurers would argue it to avoid paying out
a dime if the whole building burnt down as a result of unqualified
electrical work that had not been properly inspected before switch on. I
don't see that the handyman has anything to answer for although he may
still have problems with frivolous litigation from the OP's mate.

Regards,
Martin Brown

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt July 6th 09 09:15 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:43:44 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

As a CNC tech..I agree with you. Unfortunately however...there are far
far too many Big Name manufactures out there who utilize minimal design
perameters when they make something (very expensive) and then charge out
the ass when it goes tits up.

Yeah, this dopey **** really knows about quality. NOT!

"Big Name manufacturers"? What easy sleazy Japanesey?

Cite, asswipe? US makers?

Don't jack off at the mouth without backing it up.

What are you ****ed about? Single sided boards? What? How ****ing
hard can it be to be one that touts hi,mself as a CNC tech if all the
gear is so "cheaply made".

Jeez, when are you going to go tit up?

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt July 6th 09 09:22 AM

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:00:41 -0400, Wes wrote:

Moving introduces physical shock loads
into the electrics,

Jeez. Unless it is full of improperly torqued screw type terminations,
there is NOTHING in a simple shock that would damage ANY CNC "electrics"
as you call them.

They can handle like 40Gs, Just like a hard drive can. They can
certainly handle ten, and unless you dropped the ****ing thing, you
cannot possibly shock a PWA to that degree.

"Physical shock loads" is a bunch of crap too. They get subjected to
physical shocks, which get transferred across an assembly, but their is
no remnant "load" or anything else. If there is, the entire damned thing
all the way out to the containment case for it is designed wrong.

You would have to drop a machine from a foot in the air to cause a big
enough shock.

I would be hiring new material handling personnel if they were not able
to move a few tons around gracefully enough to keep from damaging any
electronics contained on the load.

Gunner Asch[_4_] July 6th 09 11:48 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

wrote:

CNC electronics cost about 4-8 times as much to fix as normal
electronics. Shrug..its called :"the going rate" unfortunately.

Motor controllers are 70s technology with MAYBE 90s electronics, if you
are lucky. Even if it is a brand new design, it still isn't worth
anything more than any other industrial application.

$4000 is a bit much for a simple swap out.

Yes it is indeed. Take that up with the Japanese btw..and their US
agents.

Perhaps it is guys like you that have inflated the price over the
years. Overt greed is such a sad thing. It produces jerks that thumb
their noses at the entire industrial world, then cannot figure out why
God handed you a heart condition.

My greed? Hummm perhaps you havent any idea that Im one of the cheapest
CNC service techs in So. Cal? Or is it simply that Im A service tech
that busts your chops?
Or are you simply an argumentative Leftwing piece of **** who doesnt
like anyone to the Right of Trotsky? Powa to da Pipples!!!

I guess that's what they all deserve for buying Japanese CNC hardware.

Buy American. I'll bet that one of Cincinnati Milacron's controller
boards do not cast that much.

How much do you care to wager on that? Be specific......I could use a
nice score. But then..it would appear you are a Leftwinger..and you
would lose, whimper and whine, and then steal someone elses money if I
held a gun to your head and made you pay up on your bet.

Laugh laugh laugh? You say? I laugh at you, jackass.

yawn

I say that I hope that chest gripper of death hits you soon, because
you are a major Asch hole.

And I hope you have a nice day too.

Gunner, off to LA to finish taking apart a factory

Gunner Asch[_4_] July 6th 09 11:53 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

wrote:

As a CNC tech..I agree with you. Unfortunately however...there are far
far too many Big Name manufactures out there who utilize minimal design
perameters when they make something (very expensive) and then charge out
the ass when it goes tits up.

Yeah, this dopey **** really knows about quality. NOT!

"Big Name manufacturers"? What easy sleazy Japanesey?

Mori Seiki, Sharnoa, Toyoda, Mitsubish and so forth.

Now I know you are simply masturbating while typing..as you dont have a
clue that there are any US manufactures left besides Haas and
Fadal....but hey...enjoy yourself and the rest of us can laugh our asses
off at you.

Cite, asswipe? US makers?

Don't jack off at the mouth without backing it up.

Shush..you must missed a stroke.

What are you ****ed about? Single sided boards? What? How ****ing
hard can it be to be one that touts hi,mself as a CNC tech if all the
gear is so "cheaply made".

VBG

Jeez, when are you going to go tit up?

Long after Ive had the chance to **** on your grave.

JosephKK[_3_] July 6th 09 01:14 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:40:18 -0700, John E.
wrote:

[...]

Since i am not sure where you are at, and you did not mention. In the
US if the shop owner knowingly hired an non-licensed electrician to do
the install, 'e would have to eat the loss. Similar in UK and much of
Europe. The selected tap voltages and delivered line should have been
within normal acceptance range for the controller power supply. As
for why the controller fried that is unclear at this time; causation
from the mains connections has yet to be discussed adequately.

JosephKK[_3_] July 6th 09 01:48 PM

wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
You're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the voltage supplied
by the utility. The utility doesn't supply 220V or 240V or whatever. They
supply (for example) 4KV. A transformer at the point of service reduces that
to 220V, or 240V, or whatever. Different transformers connected to the *same*
4KV primary voltage could easily produce different secondary voltages.

No, I'm not. When I lived in the US, (PECO) the electric company sold
me 240 volt 2 phase electricity. It was nominaly 127 volts, but often
dropped down during times of high usage.

They did not supply or sell me 4kv volts, or anything else.

Here it's even simpler. Israel electric sells me 230 volts, 50Hz electicity
and except for just before the power going out it has been that way for 12
years. When I had a UPS monitoring the voltage, it was never more than
1 volt +- spec.

Ok, since you insist would anyone out there who gets 4kv from their local
electric company please raise your hand.

Geoff.

Household feeds and commercial/industrial feeds are not the same
thing. I have seen many modest size office buildings take 480 V
feeds. I have worked on systems that take 12 kV feeds. I know of
electric service customers that take 138 kV feeds. None of these i
mentioned are industrial. You could check out what an aluminum
smelter takes as feed with a search engine.

Archimedes' Lever July 6th 09 02:16 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 03:48:34 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Hummm perhaps you havent any idea that Im one of the cheapest
CNC service techs in So. Cal?

Bwuahahahahaha! I'll bet your skill set matches your price schedule.
Low and lame.

Hummm? Yeah, you'd probably be better at that.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt July 6th 09 02:18 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 03:53:52 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Now I know you are simply masturbating while typing..as you dont have a
clue that there are any US manufactures left besides Haas and
Fadal....but hey...enjoy yourself and the rest of us can laugh our asses
off at you.

You're an idiot. There are about three in Cincinnati alone, including
the biggest in the world, the Cincinnati Milacron.

You are only about as dopey as it gets.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt July 6th 09 02:19 PM

wrote:

Long after Ive had the chance to **** on your grave.

Doubtful.

What is that a pussy surfer boy threat?

I will live far longer than a twit like you.

JosephKK[_3_] July 6th 09 03:03 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 17:56:15 -0500, Ignoramus20157

On 2009-07-05, John E wrote:
2. Is it normal for electricians to measure the voltage, and "do something"
about it if it's not correct (if only reporting the problem to the
businessman)?

This is the basic question I'm asking. Is it common and regular practice to
inform the owner of a voltage as high as 245? And to suggest that he have
factory personnel come and look at each machine and examine PS taps and such?
And if he had hired a licensed electrician would the electrician likely had
informed the owner of the voltage difference?

I have 245 volts in my garage. Everything works great.

245 volts is a perfectly normal voltage. It corresponds to 122.5 volts
AC from a regular outlet.

There is no causal relationship, as far as I can tell, between
perfectly normal voltage provided in your shop, and your CNC machine
frying after 3 more weeks.

I have not yet seen a more inane discussion thread.

Mere ignorance is curable. I have seen worse in this NG. I have seen
far, far worse in other NG. Stick around and learn something, even if
it is only how crazy people get.

JosephKK[_3_] July 6th 09 03:08 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:11:46 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20157" wrote in message
m...
245 volts is a perfectly normal voltage. It corresponds to 122.5 volts
AC from a regular outlet.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I've measured (give or take a few tenths)
in the MSOE power lab (which is equipped with 208V 3 phase), and very nearly
the same at my own bench at home.

Tim

Your apparent conflation of single phase systems and 3 phase systems
only serves to confuse outsiders.

JosephKK[_3_] July 6th 09 03:15 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:04:07 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:

Assuming a nominal 240VAC supply, 245V is in no way "not correct" -- it's only
about a 2% overvoltage.

And since there is likely no load in shop when the install was taking
place, the 245 would be a higher than normal reading.

But I question the use of "3phase" and "245 volts" in the OP question.
Around here, 245 volts would be perfectly normal for a single phase
circuit, very high for a "standard" 208/3 phase delta.

Can't say that i have ever heard of 208 V 3 phase delta sources. All
of the 208 V, 3 phase stuff i have seen has been 120/208 V, 3 phase
"Y". Wiring motors for 208 V, 3 phase delta i have seen though, they
typically also have taps for 240 V, 3 phase and other voltages as
well.

Doug Miller July 6th 09 03:26 PM

In article , wrote:

Since i am not sure where you are at, and you did not mention. In the
US if the shop owner knowingly hired an non-licensed electrician to do
the install, 'e would have to eat the loss.

Nonsense. There are *many* areas of the U.S. in which there is *no* regulation
of the electrical trade.

[email protected] July 6th 09 06:43 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

wrote:

[...]

First of all, 245 VAC is a common AC voltage in the US. *Yes, I know
we say 110 / 220, but it is more like 120 / 240. *

Second, what was the 'handyman' hired to do? *If he wired a number of
1 and 3 phace 110 / 220 volt *outlets, he has no liability. *If he
hard-wired (ran conduit directly to) the equipment, it is open to
discussion. *If he adjusted wiring taps, etc than he MAY be
responsible.

Just to muddy it up even further, we recently put a medical device
through CE approval and were advised by the examiner that our label
should read "110/240", and that's the label we passed with.

Ah!! More of the old 'nominal' vrs 'actual' nonsense. 3/4" iron pipe
isn't. Neither is 3/4" copper because it has the same flow
characteristics as 3/4" iron. Except there are three ratings of
copper water pipe with the same OD, but different IDs. And 2 x 4s
haven't been 2" x 4" since they started planing them. The latest
change in size was to bring them in line with metric lumber sizes, but
metrification of the US is dead....

PlainBill

However, every controller I have ever seen uses a regulated power
supply. *Decades ago my employer built them. *We tested the supplies
at full load while varying input voltage from 20% below nominal to 20%
above nominal voltage (90 - 130 VAC). *If the equipment operated for 4
weeks, I would say the 'handyman' is not responsible.

Fully agreed.

PlainBill

Steve Lusardi July 6th 09 07:21 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

John,
Sounds like no formal contract was in effect. The shop owner hired labor,
not a licensened electrician. In point of fact the owner should have had the
service inspected and certified by law in most areas. He didn't. Secondly,
even if he had, the conformability of his equipment to the new installation
would never be the responsibility of the electrician, unless it was
specifically mentioned in a formal contract. So, the owner and receiver of
this service, owns the sole burdon of responsibility., no question. There is
no such thing as a free lunch. If the owner wanted this level of assurance,
he would have hired a firm that does this professionally and his price would
naturally reflect the cost of the necessary insurance and the maintenance of
all the appropriate license costs. By lo-balling the job, he assumed all the
risks and consequences. This should be a lesson for all of us.
Steve

obal.net...

--
John English

Harold and Susan Vordos July 6th 09 09:51 PM

"Tom Horne" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 1:04 pm, RoyJ wrote:
Assuming a nominal 240VAC supply, 245V is in no way "not correct" --
it's only
about a 2% overvoltage.

And since there is likely no load in shop when the install was taking
place, the 245 would be a higher than normal reading.

But I question the use of "3phase" and "245 volts" in the OP question.
Around here, 245 volts would be perfectly normal for a single phase
circuit, very high for a "standard" 208/3 phase delta.

Roy
Three phase delta would not produce 208 volts unless it was a customer
provided special purpose transformer. Three Phase Delta can be wired
as corner grounded, grounded center tap in one phase with the opposite
phase being the odd higher voltage to ground known as the wild leg or
stinger, or completely ungrounded with or without ground fault
detection. The way you end up with three phase 208 is to wire the
transformer in a wye or star configuration with the transformer
primary taps set to produce 120 volts to ground on each of the three
secondary legs.
--
Tom Horne

The sole exception to that is if the wild leg is wired to ground. It then
yields 208 volts, at least on my panel.

No, I don't use it that way. Just tested voltage out of curiosity.

Harold

Jamie July 6th 09 11:42 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

"John E." wrote:

[snip]

Turns out the voltage in the shop was upward of 245 and the taps in the CNC's
power supply were set for 220.

So far, no problem.

A nominal 240V service can vary +/- 5% and be within power quality
specifications. Equipment (nameplate) ratings are normally lower to
acount for voltage drop. A 120V service powers 110V appliances. A 240V
service powers 220V loads.

Paul, I take my hat off to you sir...

I knew some one here would finally get it right! :)

Wes[_2_] July 6th 09 11:54 PM

"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

[...]

A few thoughts. Wiring inside an industrial facility gets pretty sketchy at times. Using
Michigan for an example, there is nothing saying plant personnel can not run circuits.
I've worked for two firms that were big enough to be concerned about this and could not
find anything stopping us from running power inside the plant ourselves. (Gunners Temp
worker exception)

New machine installations, we hire a licensed electrician, and have the sellers or
manufacturers technical staff commision it. That means they make sure the line voltage
and taps are correct. They throw the switch. Put a million dollars or more of machinery
on the floor, you want the warranty to be in effect.

Now repositioning machines, we tend to do our own wiring assuming we have the manpower to
do it. If not, we hire a licensed electrican.

Recently we aquired used machining centers from a plant the corporation closed down, those
we wired ourselves after making sure we knew how the taps were set.

Earlier this year, my brother, a licensed master electrican with a michigan electrical
contractors license wired up an used CNC near where I live. My brother is pretty good,
knew I worked with CNC's and lucky for him, he was installing the same model we have on
the plant floor. Had he not had me for a resource, he would have depended on the customer
to tell him what the machines electrical requirements are.

In the case of this machine, it does have a transformer, not all CNC's do. Quite often
you get 2xx v machines and step down 480v to match it. 480v is pretty much the standard
in US manufacturing facilites of any decent size. Copper and switch gear adds up at half
the voltage. Now if the japs would just design around 480V nominal, life would be very
nice.

Since it was my brother and he likes to give more than expected, I went over to check
things. Most electricians don't have CNC techs to call on. Btw, shock loads that our
troll ridiculed? Somehow a breaker on the spindle drive managed to trip during the move.
It wasn't from an overload or overvoltage. It was from rigging and transporting.

There was some slack jaws concerning their investment when it powered up with a spindle
alarm. Some of those drives go for 5-12 grand. BTDT.

Smiles all around when I found the problem and made it spin and move.

I'd really like to hear the handymans side of the story. I wonder if the OP can get him
to post?

Wes

Paul Hovnanian P.E. July 7th 09 12:32 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

"John E." wrote:

[snip]

Turns out the voltage in the shop was upward of 245 and the taps in the CNC's
power supply were set for 220.

So far, no problem.

A nominal 240V service can vary +/- 5% and be within power quality
specifications. Equipment (nameplate) ratings are normally lower to
acount for voltage drop. A 120V service powers 110V appliances. A 240V
service powers 220V loads.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming
Never test for an error condition you don't know how to
handle.

[email protected] July 7th 09 04:42 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 04:44:03 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
Yes, I'm afraid you are missing the point. Different locations, even though
attached to the same local grid, may have different supply voltages because
they are receiving those supplies through different transformers.

I got that. What is wrong is that the person who wrote that originally (was
it you?) used that to explain why a regular house outlet could be 220 volts
on one side of town, and 240 volts on another, both connected to the same
"grid".

There's going to be some variation, but not that much.

Geoff.

Depends entirely where you are. I've seen wider variations than that.
GENERALLY the power company will correct if the voltage is "out of
tolerance" but you don't count on it in some third world countries. Or
some older inner-city areas.

My current line voltage is 116. I have seen 123, and 108 and just
about anything in between in sites seviced by the same power utility
here in Ontario - but generally 117 is pretty standard.

Doug Miller July 7th 09 12:44 PM

wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
Yes, I'm afraid you are missing the point. Different locations, even though
attached to the same local grid, may have different supply voltages because
they are receiving those supplies through different transformers.

I got that. What is wrong is that the person who wrote that originally (was
it you?) used that to explain why a regular house outlet could be 220 volts
on one side of town, and 240 volts on another, both connected to the same
"grid".

There's going to be some variation, but not that much.

Sorry, but that's not correct. Suppose you have two nominally identical
transformers, each specified to produce a secondary voltage of 230VAC when
4KVAC is applied to the primary. If the tolerance is +/- 5%, one could have a
secondary voltage as low as 218.5, and the other as high as 241.5, without
there being anything wrong with either of them.

Moreover, it's entirely possible to have connected to the same local
distribution grid 30-year-old transformers that are designed and speced to
produce a secondary voltage of 220VAC, and brand-new transformers that are
designed and speced to produce 240VAC. Throw in a small tolerance, and you
might see service entrance voltages ranging from 215 to 250 at different
services on the same local grid.

There simply is no support for your notion that service voltages must be the
same at different locations attached to the same local distribution grid. The
power company distributes the same voltage everywhere, true -- but the service
entrance voltage is determined by the individual transformer at each
individual point of service. There is _no reason_ to suppose that will be the
same everywhere.

Tim Shoppa July 8th 09 04:04 PM

On Jul 5, 2:40*am, John E. wrote:
[...]

From my past experience in industrial environments, it's 100%
guaranteed that the electrician will wire the 3-phase feeds wrong.
Either the phases will be out of sequence (motor spins backwards), or
it'll be Delta instead of Wye, or wrong voltages, or something. It has
absolutely nothing to do with how much specifying you try, it'll get
hooked up wrong every single time.

Tim.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. July 8th 09 05:56 PM

Tim Shoppa wrote:

On Jul 5, 2:40Â*am, John E. wrote:
[...]

From my past experience in industrial environments, it's 100%
guaranteed that the electrician will wire the 3-phase feeds wrong.
Either the phases will be out of sequence (motor spins backwards), or
it'll be Delta instead of Wye, or wrong voltages, or something. It has
absolutely nothing to do with how much specifying you try, it'll get
hooked up wrong every single time.

Tim.

You need to dump the outfit you are using and use a competent electrician.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

life imitates life July 9th 09 01:38 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:04:32 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

On Jul 5, 2:40*am, John E. wrote:
[...]

From my past experience in industrial environments, it's 100%
guaranteed that the electrician will wire the 3-phase feeds wrong.
Either the phases will be out of sequence (motor spins backwards), or
it'll be Delta instead of Wye, or wrong voltages, or something. It has
absolutely nothing to do with how much specifying you try, it'll get
hooked up wrong every single time.

Tim.

Your name Shoppa or Lammeh? Just wondering, because that is a pretty
lame outlook.

stan July 16th 09 05:41 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Jul 5, 11:39*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Incorrect. Distribution voltages are on the order of a few thousand volts,
stepped down by transformers at the point of service to a few hundred. New
location = different transformer = possibly different service voltage even if
the distribution voltages are exactly the same.

Yes, BUT, a power company attempts to keep a constant voltage through their
service area. While the voltage fluctuates due to equipment, load, etc, I don't
think you can honestly say that if it is 220 volts on one side of town, the
same "grid" produces 240 on the other side of town. It might be 242 in one
place and 239 in another, but even that's a big difference unless there is
a heavy load in one location and not another.

The EU spec allowing household line voltage to be 240 volts while claiming 230
was to allow the UK to keep their current system while being "in spec" but I
doubt it was intended to allow variations from as much as 220 in one place
and 240 in another within the same country.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

Was going to ask someone knowledgeable to post the percentage voltage
variation allowed in the USA (or wherever it is) for 'normal service'.
For example if one were to look at European and similar so-called 230
volt systems might find that plus 10% to minus 5% (or some such thing)
quite normal? Just using those as an example that is around 218 to to
253 volts!
The question posted states "Upwards of 245 volts, whereas the machine
taps were set for 220 volts".
That is only a 12% difference! And when was the voltage found to be at
245? Immediately upon installation or several days/weeks later?
To answer the question as asked; I don't think the workman who did the
wiring is/was responsible. More so the owner who should take
responsibility for not using the proper trade/profession. If it was
say an insurance or warranty situation surely whoever has to repair or
supply the 'blown' part would ask "What tests or checks were made
after the machine was moved here and hooked up anew? There is also
nothing to say that the machine had not been working on 245 volts, or
whatever , at the old location. Also what was the agreement or
contract with the worker about testing the machines at the new
location once hooked. Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe more a task for the
people who regularly operate and service the machines regardless of
whether they are in the old or new location? Did the owner get a
cheaper job by taking the risk of using a non-registered electrician.
Two cents fom here based on what's provided!

stan July 16th 09 05:48 AM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Jul 5, 12:34*pm, wrote:
I work on lasers that use a buck/boost with 16 tap possibilities *on 3
phase all the time, and I used to use the same units in theatrical
touring service until more modern solid state lasers dominated the
laser show industry. . *From that perspective, *I'm amazed at the
replies here that have failed to ask two simple questions. *I will
state that I never met a house electrician who ever looked at the
rating plate on the gear, although I did have a few that asked about
phase sequences.

* * Two, I never met a house electrician who ever checked anything
hooked to the pigtail I gave him to connect, including "professional"
rental generator technicians (actually they were the worst) *In the
theatrical business, it is up to the touring operator to check the
local guys work, and in most cases, we preferred they stand in a
corner and watch us, after your first blown passbank with 3 or 4 out
of 22 power *transistors blown in the laser, you get the idea to check
the taps both preshow and under load condition. * In one case I asked
for 220/3, went to lunch, *and came out to find 380V European power
from the generator *in my distro box, which is why the box had its
own"tagged out" *disconnect switch. Its a rotary switch in big modern
generators, easy to mess up.

Questions:

*One, *Did the "electrician" hook straight to the machine's tappable
control transformers, or did he meet a simple *junction box on the
side of the machine. *If it were the later, I'd say he's off the
hook. *On the other hand if he was staring at a tap strip , he should
have asked. There is also the possibility of a "cascade" of
transformers in some machines, ie little CTs all over the place in the
machine, that need tapped. ??????

Two, Did anybody bother to read the manual chapter on setup? Machine
shop gear needs leveled and "trammed" *when moved, its not a simple
matter of tossing a CNC off the truck onto any old pad of concrete and
expecting good parts to tolerances, and the first paragraph usually
reads, something like "check settings" and have appropriate safety
gear. ??????

The fault occurred months down the road, a instant *":poof and shower
of sparks:" would point to the electrician, but months down the road
is lack of due diligence on the part of the owner.

BTW just measured our North American domestic single phase here!
Leg A = 119 volts, Leg B = 121 volts. Leg A to b = 232 volts.
119/115 = 3.4% high
121/115 = 5.2% high
232/230 = 0.8% high
It's about 02.00h in mid summer so system load is probably light and
utility will have adjusted. No AC loads here; not needed.

PeterD July 16th 09 01:56 PM

Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:48:36 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:

On Jul 5, 12:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

Except for the fact that the NA standard is 120/240 volts (there are a
number of authorative references, feel free to Google them). So your
two 'phases' are almost dead on (probably measurement error) and the
240 is slightly low (measurement error, seems odd that it can be off
consdiering that it is supposed to be the sum of the two 120 legs.)

The reason that it was standardized at 120 volts was because of the
massive interconnecting done in North America in the past 25 years.
Old standards included the 115 volts you mention, and 117 volts in
some areas, and even some with 110 volts. It was determined that it
would be necessary to standardize all voltages (just not the low
voltages we are discussing here) to allow interconnection, and direct
substitution of equipment.