DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   halp, dvd drive won't stay closed (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/281604-halp-dvd-drive-wont-stay-closed.html)

squirltop July 3rd 09 07:28 AM

halp, dvd drive won't stay closed

Hi, I acci#%@! knocked the laptop off and the DVD\CD drive came out
and it was misaligned after I put it back in.

I took it apart

The drive will not stay closed, it still has the spring action pushing
it closed but it will not stay closed

Does anybody know of schematics for
HL Data Storage DVD-ROM DRIVE Model # GDR-8082N
http://www.altavista.com/web/results...2n&kgs=1&kls=0

or has a picture or explain the locking\release mechanism?

I have one part that may be misplaced, I meant to take a picture but
didn't

thanks for replies

sandy58[_2_] July 3rd 09 09:21 AM

HL Data Storage DVD-ROM DRIVE Model # GDR-8082Nhttp://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=hl+data+storage+gdr-8...

or has a picture or explain the locking\release mechanism?

I have one part that may be misplaced, I meant to take a picture but
didn't

thanks for replies

Superglue?

[email protected] July 3rd 09 11:11 AM

sandy58 wrote:

On Jul 3, 7:28*am, squirltop wrote:
Hi, I acci#%@! knocked the laptop off and the DVD\CD drive came out
and it was misaligned after I put it back in.

I took it apart

The drive will not stay closed, it still has the spring action pushing
it closed but it will not stay closed

Superglue?

I was going to say duct tape :) and mean it.

The OP knows what the problem is, and finding parts list for a CD
would be, well hard.

For the OP, I have an Apple laptop CD, I'm used to taking stuff apart
to fix it, if you think it would have the same lock, I could take a
picture of it for you.

No promises now, just if I can get around to it, and it could take a
few days, the 4th and all. Plus your CD is like dirt cheap.
--

Looking for a bulk file Renamer?
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Adrian C July 3rd 09 11:14 AM

squirltop wrote:
Hi, I acci#%@! knocked the laptop off and the DVD\CD drive came out
and it was misaligned after I put it back in.

I took it apart

The drive will not stay closed, it still has the spring action pushing
it closed but it will not stay closed

Does anybody know of schematics for
HL Data Storage DVD-ROM DRIVE Model # GDR-8082N
http://www.altavista.com/web/results...2n&kgs=1&kls=0

or has a picture or explain the locking\release mechanism?

I have one part that may be misplaced, I meant to take a picture but
didn't

thanks for replies

On these drives there often is a small hole where in emergencies a paper
clip would be inserted to release the drawer. Have a go with that paper
clip and see exactly where the paper clip would land and what part it
would press. There should be some spring tension against insertion of
the clip at that point - you'll find an electromagnet nearby which will
be moving the part (bar?) in the same manner when the drive normally
ejects. That tension might have gone, or something else has been bent or
twisted in the way. Perhaps your misplaced part is the spring?

Or just toss the drive - replacements are cheap.

-
Adrian C

Shaun July 4th 09 05:18 AM

"squirltop" wrote in message
Hi, I acci#%@! knocked the laptop off and the DVD\CD drive came out
and it was misaligned after I put it back in.

I took it apart

The drive will not stay closed, it still has the spring action pushing
it closed but it will not stay closed

Does anybody know of schematics for
HL Data Storage DVD-ROM DRIVE Model # GDR-8082N
http://www.altavista.com/web/results...2n&kgs=1&kls=0

or has a picture or explain the locking\release mechanism?

I have one part that may be misplaced, I meant to take a picture but
didn't

thanks for replies

Use good ol' DUCT TAPE or better yet Gorilla tape. That should hold it
shut.