DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mitsubishi VCR Upper Drum Removal? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/281154-mitsubishi-vcr-upper-drum-removal.html)

Ron June 26th 09 08:49 PM

Mitsubishi VCR Upper Drum Removal?

I have a Mitsubishi HS-U500 VCR that I believe the heads have gone bad
on.

A friend gave me a non-working HS-U500 and I want to replace the upper
drum on mine with the one that was given to me.

I took out the two screws on both drums and neither one will lift
off.

Are these things pressed on or something? If so how can I get them off
w/o damaging anything?

David Farber June 26th 09 11:19 PM

Ron wrote:
I have a Mitsubishi HS-U500 VCR that I believe the heads have gone bad
on.

A friend gave me a non-working HS-U500 and I want to replace the upper
drum on mine with the one that was given to me.

I took out the two screws on both drums and neither one will lift
off.

Are these things pressed on or something? If so how can I get them off
w/o damaging anything?

I don't have the VCR in front of me but are you sure you won't need a
soldering iron to remove the head wiring from the cylinder assembly?

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Ron June 27th 09 12:05 AM

On Jun 26, 6:19*pm, "David Farber" wrote:
Ron wrote:
I have a Mitsubishi HS-U500 VCR that I believe the heads have gone bad
on.

A friend gave me a non-working HS-U500 and I want to replace the upper
drum on mine with the one that was given to me.

I took out the two screws on both drums and neither one will lift
off.

Are these things pressed on or something? If so how can I get them off
w/o damaging anything?

I don't have the VCR in front of me but are you sure you won't need a
soldering iron to remove the head wiring from the cylinder assembly?

Thanks. I spoke to someone at an electronics repair shop and that is
what has to be done.

Jerry G. June 28th 09 06:26 AM

Mitsubishi VCR Upper Drum Removal?

I hope you realize that after the head is swapped, you will have to do
the tracking alignment procedure. You will need a scope, the service
procedure from the service manual, and the calibration tapes. If the
VCR works properly without the alignment being done, it will be a
coincidence.

Jerry G.

Ron June 28th 09 06:30 PM

On Jun 28, 1:26*am, "Jerry G." wrote:
I hope you realize that after the head is swapped, you will have to do
the tracking alignment procedure. You will need a scope, the service
procedure from the service manual, and the calibration tapes. If the
VCR works properly without the alignment being done, it will be a
coincidence.

Jerry G.

Nope didn't know that. What is there to align / adjust except for
maybe the roller guides? Are you telling me that every mass produced
VCR is manually adjusted after production?

Jeroni Paul June 28th 09 06:48 PM

Mitsubishi VCR Upper Drum Removal?

Nope didn't know that. What is there to align / adjust except for
maybe the roller guides? Are you telling me that every mass produced
VCR is manually adjusted after production?

Yes, they must be calibrated. However if you only swap the upper drum
it may work, just go on and try ;)
Keep in mind the upper drum in some units can be mounted in two
different ways rotating it 180 degrees, but it will work only one way.

b June 29th 09 03:16 AM

On 26 jun, 21:49, Ron wrote:
I have a Mitsubishi HS-U500 VCR that I believe the heads have gone bad
on.

A friend gave me a non-working HS-U500 and I want to replace the upper
drum on mine with the one that was given to me.

why not just swap the whole deck over complete with good heads? might
be more effective if you aren't experienced in setting these things
up....