DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   No Boom From The Box (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/280910-no-boom-box.html)

Ron June 24th 09 12:06 AM

No Boom From The Box

I had this RCA boom box for two or three years now and even though the
tape player never really worked the way it was suposed to, I was
pretty happy with it. But now the CD player part of it is no longer
playing properly: I stick a CD in, and all I get is a message that
says there is no disc in the player, and the I don't think the motor
is spinning either.

Does anyone know if this is a fixable problem, or time to junk it and
buy a new one?

Ron

Circuit[_2_] June 24th 09 05:03 AM

No Boom From The Box

Did you clean the lense at all with a CD lense cleaner? They sell them at
Kmart, Wallmart etc. Its a disc with a felt pad mounted on it.

Ron June 24th 09 11:53 AM

No Boom From The Box

Circuit wrote:
Did you clean the lense at all with a CD lense cleaner? They sell them
at Kmart, Wallmart etc. Its a disc with a felt pad mounted on it.

He means bcause if you did, and it wasnt knackered before, it probably
is now! ;) Use a cotton bud (QTip) and some Isopropanol

Ron

b June 24th 09 12:29 PM

No Boom From The Box

On 24 jun, 01:06, Ron wrote:
I had this RCA boom box for two or three years now and even though the
tape player never really worked the way it was suposed to, I was
pretty happy with it. But now the CD player part of it is no longer
playing properly: I stick a CD in, and all I get is a message that
says there is no disc in the player, and the I don't think the motor
is spinning either.

Does anyone know if this is a fixable problem, or time to junk it and
buy a new one?

Ron

If cleaning the lens with a q-tip and alcohol does not resolve it, it
is probably the laser unit needs changing. probably not worth it.
you can also check that the sled moves well, that is the mech which
slides the laser block perpendicular to the disc.

one last thing to try before binning it (and I mean last-ditch
attempt, as this can ruin the laser) is to look for a small pot on the
laser assembly, this is the laser power. try turning this a 1/8 of a
turn in either direction. mark original position with a felt pen so
you can get back to it.
-B

Ron June 25th 09 06:59 AM

No Boom From The Box

one last thing to try before binning it (and I mean last-ditch
attempt, as this can ruin the laser) is to look for a small pot on the
laser assembly, this is the laser power. try turning this a 1/8 of a
turn in either direction. mark original position with a felt pen so
you can get back to it.
-B

Thanks for the advice, guys; much appreciated. :-)

Ron