Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Nichrome Wire

I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:44:32 -0500, "Jim Davis"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

This Nichrome 80 wire is 0.32mm (0.0126 inches) in diameter and has a
resistance of 13.4 ohms/m at 208C:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st.../product/W3205

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Davis wrote in message
I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

Those silly little facial sun tan lamps with UV discharge lamp and IR
heaters, as ballast , have heater wire of about that dimension, for robbing.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 28, 1:44*pm, "Jim Davis" wrote:
I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. *It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. *I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. *Any Ideas?

Nichrome wire was used to make igniters for model rockets. Try your
local toy and hobby shop. . 0.010 is 30 AWG.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:44:32 -0500, "Jim Davis"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

Try searching for "resistance wire" "nickel chromium":
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22re...+chromium% 22

Here are a few hits:
http://www.enasco.com/product/SB10532M
http://www.omega.com/pptst/NI60.html
http://www.resistancewire.com/AlloyS...lloysearch.php

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/28/2009 6:04 PM Franc Zabkar spake thus:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:44:32 -0500, "Jim Davis"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

Try searching for "resistance wire" "nickel chromium":
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22re...+chromium% 22

Note Franc's wise use of quotation marks. Too many people are unaware of
how you can focus Google's results like a laser beam by using them.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Davis wrote in message
I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

240V 600W wire heater element, I have laying around, is 0.012 inch diam for
7 in unstretched length and 0.16 inch diameter of spiral

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
I'm replacing very tiny heating coils. It's about the size of a thread,
maybe about .010" in diameter. I don't know exactly what gauge they are
yet, but I wondering where to find the wire itself. Any Ideas?

Thanks for the responses guys. The wire I need is .004" dia. I found it at
McMaster Carr - 30 bucks for a roll.

Thanks again.