DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Warwick Sonic III amp (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/273455-warwick-sonic-iii-amp.html)

N_Cook March 15th 09 02:04 PM

Warwick Sonic III amp

Not the cause of the problem that it is here for repair, but I cannot return
it to the owner with this glaring potential (in both senses) fault,
presumably the same for all such Warwick amps.
One large heatsink with +75V on it and the other at -75V and 2.5mm between
the two , both mounted on standard polyester pcb with chassis standoffs well
away from the heatsinks. Discharged both before this test of course,
requires only 1.5Kg of force between the 2 heatsinks to narrow the gap to
1.5mm.
Have amp designers never seen the internals of their stuff
resonating/oscillating mounted in or on speaker cabs, especially bass amps
such as this?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Arfa Daily March 16th 09 09:09 AM

Warwick Sonic III amp

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:04:12 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:

Not the cause of the problem that it is here for repair, but I cannot
return
it to the owner with this glaring potential (in both senses) fault,
presumably the same for all such Warwick amps.
One large heatsink with +75V on it and the other at -75V and 2.5mm between
the two , both mounted on standard polyester pcb with chassis standoffs
well
away from the heatsinks. Discharged both before this test of course,
requires only 1.5Kg of force between the 2 heatsinks to narrow the gap to
1.5mm.
Have amp designers never seen the internals of their stuff
resonating/oscillating mounted in or on speaker cabs, especially bass amps
such as this?

Ran into similar design phenomena in a Berringer Euro Power powered
mixer. Left me sitting scratching my noggin wondering what the hell
were they thinking.

Well Meat, you answered your own question there ! It was a Behringer, so
they weren't thinking at all ... !! d;~}

Arfa

jeff May 10th 20 05:06 AM

Warwick Sonic III amp

Meat Plow wrote:

Ran into similar design phenomena in a Berringer Euro Power powered
mixer. Left me sitting scratching my noggin wondering what the hell
were they thinking.

Well Meat, you answered your own question there ! It was a Behringer, so
they weren't thinking at all ... !! d;~}

Arfa

Heh I don't even know how to spell the damn name. I won't work on that
crap unless it's store stock. However I was mildly impressed
(sonically) with the BX4500 amp. I won't look inside, that will no
doubt spoil things.

Makes me want to resurrect my old Harmon Kardon A500 tube amp with its
ambiance knob set high!