DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New battery for UPS (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/273029-new-battery-ups.html)

Charles March 9th 09 09:09 PM

New battery for UPS

My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the lead-acid
battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

Thanks.

Michael A. Terrell March 9th 09 09:29 PM

New battery for UPS

Charles wrote:

My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the lead-acid
battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

If it is that old you may have to pry it out of the chassis. They
tend to swell over the years and some designs are so tight that it is
difficult to remove before the batter fails. You didn't state the brand
or model. Enter them into a search engine with replacement battry and
you will find dozens of vendors. Don't bother searching with your
state, because every one of them list all 50 states in their meta tags.
Interstate Batteries
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...t_info/ups.asp
is on national chain that has warehouses all over the country, and a lot
of RV dealers carry the brand. They are hungry right now, and should be
happy to place a special order. I have a local tire dealer who will
order them for me at his costs, if I prepay, and include the sales tax
so I can refurbish supplies for my 'Computers For Veterans' project.
Make sure the battery you buy has the right terminals. UPS batteries
generally use 1/4" Faston connectors, while the identcal battery has
3/16" Faston connectors when sold for other uses.

Another source is E-bay, if you are pinching pennies.

BTW, I have found manuals for most UPS i've worked on availible
online by searchining brand + model + manual.

For larger home or small office UPS systems, the portable jumpstart
batteries are around 17 AH and the entire unit can be had for about $40
when Harbor Freigh has them on sale.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tart&Submit=Go

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

GO1.WEB March 9th 09 09:30 PM

New battery for UPS

Dear Friend,

Yes,It's good idea but you have to find out same model or similer
ratings.

Let us know some infomation about your UPS
*Brand name and Model Number

See you online.
GO1.WEB Team http://www.go1.web.officelive.com

PeterD March 9th 09 11:23 PM

New battery for UPS

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:09:46 -0400, "Charles"
wrote:

My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the lead-acid
battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

Thanks.

Brand? Model? Tried downloading a manual?

jakdedert March 10th 09 12:50 AM

New battery for UPS

Charles wrote:
My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the lead-acid
battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

Thanks.

Depends on the model. I've had some that I needed to take down
practically to a bare chassis in order the change the battery. Others
have a door in the bottom secured by one or two screws....

Once it's out, secure one of the same type as indicated by the numbers
on the old one.

jak

WW[_2_] March 10th 09 02:02 AM

New battery for UPS

"Charles" wrote in message
My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the
lead-acid battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

Thanks.
Many UPS use a 12 volt 7 amp battery. I have replaced 2 for one friend. $25
to $30.. Google UPS battery when you see what size is needed. WW

Andrew Rossmann March 10th 09 08:55 PM

New battery for UPS

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article ,
says...
My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the lead-acid
battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

What brand of UPS? Some have doors or covers that are user removable to
get at the battery. APC sells battery kits for many of their UPS's
(includes a return box for recycling, as you should NEVER put a lead-
acid battery in the garbage!)

I've bought my own batteries in the past. Just open up the UPS and see
if you can see the specs on the battery. If the UPS manufacturer doesn't
cover up the label, you can probably find the exact battery manufacturer
and model #.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross