Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Workbench Magnifier Lamp Purchase

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 03:13:21 +0100 (CET), George Orwell
wrote:

I enjoy soldering and repairing electronics, both old TV's, radios, and
modern circuitboards. Unfortunately my eyesight isn't what it used to be,
my nearsightedness has gotten worse the past two years. Now I'm thinking
of buying a decent workbench magnifier lamp, like one of the Luxos.

My basic question for people who have made such a purchase, did you go for
the 3 or 5 diopter lens, which gives a magnification of 1.75x or 2.25x.
The price is pretty much the same either way and I'm sort of leaning
towards the 5 diopter. My only concern is that maybe too much magnification
might introduce errors or distortion?

https://www.mixmaster.it

The more the merrier. But get a *good* one. I got a cheap one first,
and the quality was lacking, plastic lens, light was poorly
distributed.

My favorites are the ones with the circle bulb, and one that has two
CFLs one on each side. That last one (I can post the model) was
expensive (several hundred) but the circle bulb style are not so bad.