Posted to alt.ham-radio,sci.electronics.repair
Fox Fox is offline

Default Yaesu FT-897D noisy in CW narrow mode

When I put my 897D in narrow CW mode (with the Collins 300Hz filter),
it sounds like the gain is way too high somewhere. Noise in the
passband sounds clipped and rumbly, and the received signal has a lot
of harmonics in it. It sounds like something is loose inside the
chassis and rattling with a loud signal, but it's the same with
headphones or any external speaker.

With the 2.3k SSB filter, things sound great. I do not hear any
evidence of overdrive.

I can improve the audio by turning RF gain -way- down until the signal
is almost gone, but then I lose the ability to pull signals out of the
mud because the background noise is still everywhere. Right now the
filter performs nowhere near as well as my DX-70 with the cheap
ceramic filter when it comes to working weak stations.

Does anyone have a schematic or any experience with this situation? I
am thinking there's a gain adjustment somewhere that's out of control.
Or maybe the filter itself is no good. I've had the latter for years
and never really thought much of it but I've been working with the rig
more lately and it's starting to become annoying.
Posted to alt.ham-radio,sci.electronics.repair
Fox Fox is offline

On Jan 20, 1:33*pm, Meat Plow wrote:

First thing I would do is to find another ham in your area that has
the same filter and swap it.

BTW.. I am in the Albany, NY area... It's the 300 Hz filter, YF122CN
Posted to alt.ham-radio,sci.electronics.repair
Fox Fox is offline

On Jan 20, 7:03*pm, Fox wrote:
On Jan 20, 1:33*pm, Meat Plow wrote:

First thing I would do is to find another ham in your area that has
the same filter and swap it.

BTW.. I am in the Albany, NY area... It's the 300 Hz filter, YF122CN

Does anyone know if this is the "audio overload" or "noisy cw" problem
addressed by TSN-0405?