DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GRE tunnel experiment (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/268865-gre-tunnel-experiment.html)

msg January 13th 09 08:44 PM

GRE tunnel experiment

Some of this newsgroup's readers probably administer a LAN that includes
an Internet router which can support GRE tunnels (Cisco, *nix); would
anyone be willing to set up a GRE tunnel with me for a little while to
explore multicast packet routing? On most flavors of unix it is a
simple matter to create and assign addresses to the GRE interface and
set up a tunnel, and to enable multicast forwarding.

I need to verify that tunnels to my site pass multicast traffic, in
anticipation of seeking a multicast peer on the I2 or what remains
of the MBONE. I have ported a PIM routing daemon and kernel support
to my environment and am currently routing multicast internally.

The hope is that someone out there, on the other end of a tunnel,
can access a test multicast radio stream that I am running, and perhaps
also to source some multicast traffic that I can access. It shouldn't
take a lot of time (perhaps 10 to 15 minutes total) and it would help
a lot to further the use of multicasting on the greater Internet.

You folks in the U.K., or elsewhere across the pond, should relate to
my efforts; the BBC rewards clients that access its media streams over
multicast with higher bandwidth versions than what is offered to the
conventional unicast Internet user.

Thanks much,

Michael