Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

Default Straightening tube/valve pins

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
I could never find out what an interocitor was...

"Stand back... Further, please..."

It's from "This Island Earth", a silly film with a few nice moments. Rex
Reason makes a good alien. ("Mozart? Ah, yes... Your composer.")

In the animated version of "The Coneheads", Beldar communicates with the
home world using an interocitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Island_Earth_(film)

Note how the poster anticipates the "Forbidden Planet" poster.

I've only read part of the original novel, which appeared to be

(surprise!)
superior to the movie. The upcoming remake will hopefully be a significant
improvement.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2655rema.html

I'm sure an interociter made a mention in "Plan 9 from outer Space" as well.
A classic film of its type.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

"msg" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

hyposthphosphicator

Sounds like something Sylvester the Cat would say (or try to). I'd like
to hear an audio clip of this word spoken; how about a wav file? (Linus
Torvald's pronunciation of 'linux' is still floating around the 'Net).

Michael

Hi - posth - foss - fick - ayta The "th" is soft like in "the" or
"that"

Easy, huh ?? ;-)

Arfa

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/17/2009 5:32 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"msg" wrote in message

Peter Wieck wrote:

snip

I spent a few shifts in the tool-room in my time - and between
fetching buckets of air and carbon-stretchers...

I wonder how widespread is the usage of such mythical terms; I had
a friend who labeled boxes of unknown (mostly hardware) components
"muffler bearings", and another who routinely castigated incompetent
parts buyers saying of them "he doesn't know modems from manhole
covers".

How about some more of these?

We used to send apprentices for rubber hammer and glass nails, and also for
a long weight ... I also used to work with a wonderful old boy called Norman
who used to tell little old ladies who asked what was wrong with their TV
set so that they could tell their husbands when they got home that he had
had to "move the hyposthphosphicator two degrees nearer to the ecliptant in
order to improve the impactic contact". It took me years to learn that
properly, and I've never forgotten it, or how he could say it to customers
with a totally straight face. Another guy that I have done work for in the
past, used to bill fuses as "glass encapsulated surge protection devices"
:-)

The last company I worked for (mfr. of tape/disc conversion systems), we
used to say that one of the great features of our products was "maximum
byte separation".

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson