DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Laptop LCD (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/268501-laptop-lcd.html)

John January 8th 09 07:03 PM

Laptop LCD

Hello,

I have a laptop and the video ribbon cable got messed up.

I then purchased a new one and looked at the diagram online etc.

It appears that I need to connect it to the motherboard underneath the
keyboard and then to the back of the LCD.

My question is this:

Is it safe to work on the LCD with the battery out of the laptop and
power off of course... meaning could I be shocked at all?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm new to repairs. The laptop is really old and not worth that much
so I don't care if it doesn't work and I don't want to take it to a
repair shop.

Thanks!

Adrian C January 8th 09 08:24 PM

Laptop LCD

John wrote:

I'm new to repairs. The laptop is really old and not worth that much
so I don't care if it doesn't work and I don't want to take it to a
repair shop.

Stop! Get the service manual. What is the make and model?

--
Adrian C

1D10T[_2_] January 8th 09 09:38 PM

Laptop LCD

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen
der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht
fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen
das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlights.

msg January 8th 09 09:49 PM

Laptop LCD

1D10T wrote:

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen
der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht
fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen
das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlights.

This sign was often seen afixed to computer cabinets in the 50's and 60's; I
first saw it attached to an LGP-30. I seem to remember even seeing it in
some old issue of Life or was it Datamation. Does anyone know its actual
origin?

Michael

John January 8th 09 10:47 PM

Laptop LCD

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:24:41 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

John wrote:

I'm new to repairs. The laptop is really old and not worth that much
so I don't care if it doesn't work and I don't want to take it to a
repair shop.

Stop! Get the service manual. What is the make and model?

It's a Dell LS.

I tried to install the ribbon and my screen is still just white.

I can hear the laptop boot up normally though.

Adrian C January 8th 09 11:03 PM

Laptop LCD

wrote:

John wrote:

I'm new to repairs. The laptop is really old and not worth that much
so I don't care if it doesn't work and I don't want to take it to a
repair shop.

Stop! Get the service manual. What is the make and model?

It's a Dell LS.

Dell Lattiude LS what? Mever mind, hope you found the troubleshooting
section of the manual and followed the cautions.

I tried to install the ribbon and my screen is still just white.

I can hear the laptop boot up normally though.

Does not sound good that. You sure you haven't whacked the brightness on
full, or switched video output to an external monitor, or jammed the lid
switch? or used the cable for the wrong type screen or something?

--
Adrian C