DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Identify this components please. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/267315-identify-components-please.html)

Joe McElvenney December 22nd 08 01:35 PM

Identify this components please.

Hi,

Strapped directly across the b-e junction of a TIPL755A bipolar in a
SMPS out of a HP54502A scope is the following -

Body - cylindrical, black plastic, 5/8" long by 1/4" dia.

Body markings - MCS MTS 90A.

Leads - two, axial.

PCB marking - S1.

Polarity markings - nil.

Condition - s/c.

Naturally I don't have a schematic but my guess is that it's some sort
of over-voltage clamp. A great deal of googling hasn't helped me so
any info would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays - Joe

Michael A. Terrell December 22nd 08 03:43 PM

Joe McElvenney wrote:

Hi,

Strapped directly across the b-e junction of a TIPL755A bipolar in a
SMPS out of a HP54502A scope is the following -

Body - cylindrical, black plastic, 5/8" long by 1/4" dia.

Body markings - MCS MTS 90A.

Leads - two, axial.

PCB marking - S1.

Polarity markings - nil.

Condition - s/c.

Naturally I don't have a schematic but my guess is that it's some sort
of over-voltage clamp. A great deal of googling hasn't helped me so
any info would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays - Joe

It doesn't appear to have the schematic but the 'service' manual is
available for free at the manufacturer's website:
http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/techSupport.jspx?pid=54502A%3Aepsg%3Apro&pageMode= MN&cc=US&lc=eng

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Franc Zabkar December 22nd 08 08:09 PM

Identify this components please.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:35:11 +0000, Joe McElvenney
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hi,

Strapped directly across the b-e junction of a TIPL755A bipolar in a
SMPS out of a HP54502A scope is the following -

Body - cylindrical, black plastic, 5/8" long by 1/4" dia.

Body markings - MCS MTS 90A.

Leads - two, axial.

PCB marking - S1.

Polarity markings - nil.

Condition - s/c.

Naturally I don't have a schematic but my guess is that it's some sort
of over-voltage clamp. A great deal of googling hasn't helped me so
any info would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays - Joe

Is there an S2?

I don't know what a coil would be doing across a B-E junction, but can
you measure any inductance?

I can't imagine that S1 is an OV clamp, unless it is a reverse biased
diode for protection against excessive negative voltages. But then a
diode would have a polarity marking.

Does the body of the device have sharp ends (like a 1N4007 diode) or
are the ends rounded like a resistor?

- Franc Zabkar

Joe McElvenney December 24th 08 07:58 PM

Identify this components please.

Hi everybody,

It appears that the components is a thermal switch that shunts base
current away from the switching transistor when the ambient board
temperature reaches a certain figure due to a fault condition such as
an overload or a fan failure.

I have the HP service manual but it doesn't have a parts list or
schematic for the SMPS, so I'm reduced to guessing my way round the
circuit. The unit works without the temperature switch but I can use a
locally available substitute while looking for the real thing. I am
currently investigating a source of C122F1 SCR's so I may fix the
+5.2V regulator.

BTW, I gave the marking incorrectly - twice; they are MCI MTS 90A.

Thanks for your help - Joe

Franc Zabkar December 25th 08 09:05 PM

Identify this components please.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 19:58:37 +0000, Joe McElvenney
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hi everybody,

It appears that the components is a thermal switch that shunts base
current away from the switching transistor when the ambient board
temperature reaches a certain figure due to a fault condition such as
an overload or a fan failure.

I have the HP service manual but it doesn't have a parts list or
schematic for the SMPS, so I'm reduced to guessing my way round the
circuit. The unit works without the temperature switch but I can use a
locally available substitute while looking for the real thing. I am
currently investigating a source of C122F1 SCR's so I may fix the
+5.2V regulator.

BTW, I gave the marking incorrectly - twice; they are MCI MTS 90A.

Thanks for your help - Joe

US patent number 5,512,732 ...

http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/Sw...0K xc1wO6MuFw

.... refers to a "ferrite reed switch" obtained from Therm-O-Disc, Inc
of Mansfield, Ohio, model MTS-90B with a Curie temperature of 90 degC.

US patent number 4,509,029 ...

http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/Th...sZS7rwyBfNBD3Q

.... assigned to Midwest Components, Inc, (MCI?) describes a thermal
switch consisting of "a reed switch surrounded by an annular collar
made of ferrite material and a pair of annular permanent magnets".

The latter patent refers to a brochure entitled "Thermal Reed
Switches" by Tohoku Metal Industries.

I suspect that "MTS" may stand for "Magnetic Temperature Switch".
There are plenty of Google hits for this term.

AFAICT, Midwest Components, Inc is a division of Therm-O-Disc, Inc:
http://www.thermodisc.com/index.asp

This site lists an MTS90B part made by MCI:
http://www.mwcomponents.com/~midwest...ser_part=mts90

- Franc Zabkar