DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Identity a SOT-23 transistor marked MO5 or M05 (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/267034-identity-sot-23-transistor-marked-mo5-m05.html)

Jonathan Schneider December 17th 08 09:59 PM

Identity a SOT-23 transistor marked MO5 or M05

I'm fixing a laptop and am trying to identify a transistor which I
believe may be popped. Well I assume that's what it is. It has all
three legs connected.

It is SOT-23 and marked MO5 or could be M05 (letter Oh or digit zero).

There are a couple of others onboard and I believe it's part of the
power supply.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Jon

Jonathan Schneider December 17th 08 10:25 PM

Identity a SOT-23 transistor marked MO5 or M05

Best guess is not a tranny but a dual zener (like part WOST05C) with
common anodes on the middle pin. Probing others onboard adds credence
to this though I'm very much open to suggestions.

Jon

Michael A. Terrell December 18th 08 01:26 AM

Jonathan Schneider wrote:

I'm fixing a laptop and am trying to identify a transistor which I
believe may be popped. Well I assume that's what it is. It has all
three legs connected.

It is SOT-23 and marked MO5 or could be M05 (letter Oh or digit zero).

There are a couple of others onboard and I believe it's part of the
power supply.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Jon

They generally use code numbers, not part of the actual number. There
are a couple databses on line like this one to help identify SMD semis.

http://www.marsport.org.uk/smd/mainframe.htm

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Franc Zabkar December 18th 08 02:29 AM

Identity a SOT-23 transistor marked MO5 or M05

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:25:13 +0000, Jonathan Schneider
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Best guess is not a tranny but a dual zener (like part WOST05C) with
common anodes on the middle pin. Probing others onboard adds credence
to this though I'm very much open to suggestions.

Jon

I haven't checked all of the following, but they appear to be similar
parts with the same marking code:

http://www.microsemi.com/datasheets/MSC1378.PDF (SM05)
http://www.secosgmbh.com:8081/datash...03C~SMD36C.pdf
(SMD05C)
http://soft.laogu.com/datasheet/103/...NJIT_87495.pdf (PJSMS05)
http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/S/M/...ation.pdf.html
(SM05)
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-...DSA-791422.pdf
(WOST05C)

- Franc Zabkar

N_Cook December 18th 08 10:27 AM

Identity a SOT-23 transistor marked MO5 or M05

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

Jonathan Schneider wrote:

I'm fixing a laptop and am trying to identify a transistor which I
believe may be popped. Well I assume that's what it is. It has all
three legs connected.

It is SOT-23 and marked MO5 or could be M05 (letter Oh or digit zero).

There are a couple of others onboard and I believe it's part of the
power supply.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Jon

They generally use code numbers, not part of the actual number. There
are a couple databses on line like this one to help identify SMD semis.

http://www.marsport.org.uk/smd/mainframe.htm

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Are manufacturer's allowed to put whatever code they like on devices ?
So is it possible to have 2 functionally different devices (on same
package?) with the same code ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Michael A. Terrell December 19th 08 01:09 AM

N_Cook wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

They generally use code numbers, not part of the actual number. There
are a couple databses on line like this one to help identify SMD semis.

http://www.marsport.org.uk/smd/mainframe.htm

Are manufacturer's allowed to put whatever code they like on devices ?
So is it possible to have 2 functionally different devices (on same
package?) with the same code ?

Did you look at the link? It happens, quite often. OEMs don't check
with each other to see if someone else is using the same code. They
don't care, because it is an internal product ID for their use, so
people loading pick & place machines can look at the marking and make
sure they have the right part. Its not THEIR problem if you buy parts
from someone else using the same code.

You have to have an idea what the part does, then look for parts
using that code that would do the job.