DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toshiba 42H81 Blows Fuse at Random (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/266819-toshiba-42h81-blows-fuse-random.html)

Chris F.[_2_] December 14th 08 03:57 PM

Toshiba 42H81 Blows Fuse at Random

This 2001 model projection set has a tough problem to track down, so I'm
hoping someone can give me some advice. Fuse F850 (5A), in the power supply,
will blow at random intervals - sometimes when trying to power up, or the
set might run fine for hours, days, or even weeks. Just thought I'd check
for any known issues with this set, before attempting what could be a long
and frustrating job.

Jamie December 14th 08 04:12 PM

Chris F. wrote:
This 2001 model projection set has a tough problem to track down, so I'm
hoping someone can give me some advice. Fuse F850 (5A), in the power supply,
will blow at random intervals - sometimes when trying to power up, or the
set might run fine for hours, days, or even weeks. Just thought I'd check
for any known issues with this set, before attempting what could be a long
and frustrating job.

Maybe you have the wrong fuse in there?

Most likely requires a slow blow type..

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Chris F.[_2_] December 14th 08 06:47 PM

Toshiba 42H81 Blows Fuse at Random

It doesn't specify. If it always blew instantly, I would indeed suspect that
the inrush current was too much for it. But once the set is warmed up, it
shouldn't be drawing anywhere near 5 amps (at least not on the B+ supply,
which is where I assume this is). Some component must be shorting
intermittently, and finding it isn't going to be easy unless someone can
fill me in on a known issue with these sets.

gareth magennis December 14th 08 08:19 PM

"Chris F." wrote in message
This 2001 model projection set has a tough problem to track down, so I'm
hoping someone can give me some advice. Fuse F850 (5A), in the power
supply, will blow at random intervals - sometimes when trying to power up,
or the set might run fine for hours, days, or even weeks. Just thought I'd
check for any known issues with this set, before attempting what could be
a long and frustrating job.

I've come across equipment before that has the wrong fuse specified. For
various reasons the manufacturer uprated it later on. And of course, the
manufacturer might not be in a hurry to point out its mistake .......

Gareth.

Eeyore December 14th 08 09:11 PM

Toshiba 42H81 Blows Fuse at Random

"Chris F." wrote:

It doesn't specify.

Naught, naughty. That alone is a CE / IEC fail.

Graham

Leonard Caillouet December 14th 08 11:27 PM

"Chris F." wrote in message
This 2001 model projection set has a tough problem to track down, so I'm
hoping someone can give me some advice. Fuse F850 (5A), in the power
supply, will blow at random intervals - sometimes when trying to power up,
or the set might run fine for hours, days, or even weeks. Just thought I'd
check for any known issues with this set, before attempting what could be
a long and frustrating job.

What circuits does this supply line service? Monitor each circuit to see
how much each is drawing. Fuse each circuit supplied by this fuse
individually if the excessive current is intermittent. When that circuit
blows its fuse you know where the problem is.

Leonard

Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] December 15th 08 03:56 AM

"Chris F." wrote in message
This 2001 model projection set has a tough problem to track down, so I'm
hoping someone can give me some advice. Fuse F850 (5A), in the power
supply, will blow at random intervals - sometimes when trying to power up,
or the set might run fine for hours, days, or even weeks. Just thought I'd
check for any known issues with this set, before attempting what could be
a long and frustrating job.

You could temporarily substitute an AC ammeter for the fuse and watch the
current. Alternatively, you could use a large fusible resistor, say 1 ohm at
10 watts or .1 ohm if you prefer, and monitor the voltage across the
resistor. Should give you an idea what the current is doing.

Mark Z.

Chris F.[_2_] December 15th 08 06:44 PM

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

"Chris F." wrote in message
This 2001 model projection set has a tough problem to track down, so I'm
hoping someone can give me some advice. Fuse F850 (5A), in the power
supply, will blow at random intervals - sometimes when trying to power
up, or the set might run fine for hours, days, or even weeks. Just
thought I'd check for any known issues with this set, before attempting
what could be a long and frustrating job.

You could temporarily substitute an AC ammeter for the fuse and watch the
current. Alternatively, you could use a large fusible resistor, say 1 ohm
at 10 watts or .1 ohm if you prefer, and monitor the voltage across the
resistor. Should give you an idea what the current is doing.

Mark Z.

That's basically what I plan to do. I have a Fluke DMM that can record
min/max readings, I plan to insert it at various points in the circuit and
have it record any current spikes when and if they occur. Hopefully it
should help narrow the problem down.