Posted to sci.electronics.repair
WKW WKW is offline

Default Nichrome winding insulation question

I have two old soldering stations with burned out elements I want to
rewind. ( One is an old ungar they quit making ages ago but it was a good
iron ) I found some #30 Nikrothal 80-20 wire cheap on eBay which appears to
be the same length and resistance as the original. I just want to know what
kind of paint or insulating material to use to keep the wire from shorting
to the metal barrel or to neighboring turns ( They are both 24 volt
transformer units ). I took one elemant apart already and the coil is
sandwiched between to metal tubes about .02" apart.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

WKW wrote:

I have two old soldering stations with burned out elements I want to
rewind. ( One is an old ungar they quit making ages ago but it was a good
iron ) I found some #30 Nikrothal 80-20 wire cheap on eBay which appears to
be the same length and resistance as the original. I just want to know what
kind of paint or insulating material to use to keep the wire from shorting
to the metal barrel or to neighboring turns ( They are both 24 volt
transformer units ). I took one elemant apart already and the coil is
sandwiched between to metal tubes about .02" apart.

I am sure that you will receive replies from folks considerably more familiar
with heater construction than myself, but FWIW, please see how I worked with
soldering iron heaters to build an SMT hot air rework tool at:

http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/smt-rework-tool

I found that windings separated by ceramic spacers was typical in units
that I disassembled and I used refractory cement in my finished unit to
provide structural strength and thermal conductivity and thermal insulation
in appropriate places.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

msg wrote:

WKW wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention that the internal insulation in all of the heaters I
cannibalized was mica -- in discs, sheets, bars, etc. Ceramics made up the
rest of the structural material. When inserted into the metal tube, the
spacers prevented any contact with heater wire.

Michael

Michael