DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   glass cement - what is it ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/266702-glass-cement-what.html)

N_Cook December 12th 08 07:50 PM

glass cement - what is it ?

The cement used to fix the UV filter glass discs to the front of dichroic
lamps etc, so high temperatures. It is clear , maybe a silicone type
material.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Jim Yanik December 13th 08 01:21 AM

glass cement - what is it ?

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

The cement used to fix the UV filter glass discs to the front of dichroic
lamps etc, so high temperatures. It is clear , maybe a silicone type
material.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Probably a UV-curing cyanoacrylate,or it could be an optical epoxy.
Edmund Scientific (edsci.com) has UV curing optical glues.(not cheap)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Charles December 14th 08 11:17 PM

glass cement - what is it ?

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0851590.html

N_Cook December 15th 08 08:24 AM

glass cement - what is it ?

Charles wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
The cement used to fix the UV filter glass discs to the front of

dichroic
lamps etc, so high temperatures. It is clear , maybe a silicone type
material.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0851590.html

I think you're right. I'd forgotten about waterglass. Once you make a
purchase under the lamp cover disc it comes away fairly easily. I did not
realise that waterglass can tolerate such high temperatures - even a major
non-sand component of foundry casting sand even.
I'd forgotten I used it a long time ago to stick a glass patch over a bullet
hole in a sheet of window glass, otherwise I've just used for disguising
scratches on 'scope CRT screens. Incidently there must be some medical use
for it as I got a pint of it from a dispensing chemist.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

whit3rd December 16th 08 10:20 PM

glass cement - what is it ?

On Dec 15, 12:24*am, "N_Cook" wrote:

[about filter plate on high intensity lights]

I think you're right. I'd forgotten about waterglass. Once you make a
purchase under the lamp cover disc it comes away fairly easily. I did not
realise that waterglass can tolerate such high temperatures -

Isn't waterglass brittle and corrosive (etching the glass as it
adheres)?
I think a flexible high temperature adhesive like RTV silicone
is a better prospect, and more likely.

Dichroic reflectors and UV or 'heat absorbing' glass are typically
used on projector lamps which get quite hot, the thermal
cycling would fracture a hard adhesive.