Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is this component???

Hope someone out there can help. I'm in the process of
replacing a large chip (new replacement: NTE7054 IC
Single Chip TV Processor) on a 1991 Montgomery Ward (CRT says Zenith)
TV.
While removing the old chip, I knocked off this component
SIEMENS
OFWM1960
224-106B7 It could be 224-10687, but It looks more like a "B"
Side profile is 3/4" wide, 1/2" high, 3/16" thick, with 5 legs.
Not only can I not find a replacement, but I can't get an answer
as to what the darned thing is, and neither can our local electronics
parts store (they called Siemens tech dept.). I could email pictures
(side and top view) if it would help. Thanks.
Mark Goodall
(lose the #)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:19:53 -0800 (PST), mark
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hope someone out there can help. I'm in the process of
replacing a large chip (new replacement: NTE7054 IC
Single Chip TV Processor) on a 1991 Montgomery Ward (CRT says Zenith)
TV.
While removing the old chip, I knocked off this component
SIEMENS
OFWM1960
224-106B7 It could be 224-10687, but It looks more like a "B"
Side profile is 3/4" wide, 1/2" high, 3/16" thick, with 5 legs.
Not only can I not find a replacement, but I can't get an answer
as to what the darned thing is, and neither can our local electronics
parts store (they called Siemens tech dept.). I could email pictures
(side and top view) if it would help. Thanks.
Mark Goodall
(lose the #)

Could it be some kind of hybrid IC? Trap? Filter?

It might help if you uploaded a photo of the PCB and the part to an
online image hosting service. If you could trace where it connects to,
that might help as well.

What was the part number of the original jungle IC that the NTE7054
replaced? Maybe its datasheet has an application circuit that will
reveal the functions of the support components, assuming your mystery
part is one of these.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a Zenith IC number. They didn't make any of their
own, so they had companies with foundries like Fairchild, RCA, &
Motorola make their semiconductors. I'll see if I can find my old
Zenith semiconductor book. If the set is a zenith chassis, someone
might have a manual for it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:00:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

I didn't find the OP's part number, but here are other Zenith 224-
parts:

http://www.wehaveparts.com/zenith1.htm

ZENITH 224-105 FILTER
ZENITH 224-131 RESONATOR
ZENITH 224-160 FILTER
ZENITH 224-27 CRYSTAL
ZENITH 224-30-01 CERAMIC FILTER
ZENITH 224-68-01 CRYSTAL

The NTE7054 appears to be a cross for a Sanyo LA7670:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-...DSA-578078.pdf

The above datasheet contains an application circuit.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:19:53 -0800 (PST), mark
put finger to keyboard and composed:

While removing the old chip, I knocked off this component
SIEMENS
OFWM1960
224-106B7

I found this:

http://puncom.com/Radio%20MW%20Equipments.htm
FILTER SAW 44 MHz OFWM 1958

It looks like your part may be a SAW filter. If so, then it should
connect to pins 8 and 9 of the jungle IC (Sanyo LA7670).

Here are the photos you emailed to me:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/temp/GEDC0454.JPG (side view)
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/temp/GEDC0455.JPG (top view)

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:44:24 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

It looks like your part may be a SAW filter. If so, then it should
connect to pins 8 and 9 of the jungle IC (Sanyo LA7670).

This document has numerous OFWM SAW filters but not yours:
http://radio.elektroda.net/pdf/filtry-saw.pdf

There is a pinout diagram for OFWM parts in SIL-5 packages.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:19:53 -0800 (PST), mark
put finger to keyboard and composed:

SIEMENS
OFWM1960

I'm guessing that this part may be a match:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=495-1957-5-ND

The cost is USD3.19.

This is its datasheet:
http://www.epcos.com/inf/40/ds/mm/M3953M.pdf

I believe the "OFW" in the part number stands for "OberFlächenWelle"
which is German for "Surface Wave".

SAW = Surface Acoustic Wave

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm guessing that this part may be a match:http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...tail&name=495-...

The cost is USD3.19.

This is its datasheet:http://www.epcos.com/inf/40/ds/mm/M3953M.pdf

I believe the "OFW" in the part number stands for "OberFlächenWelle"
which is German for "Surface Wave".

SAW = Surface Acoustic Wave

- Franc Zabkar

Thank you, Franc.
Mark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mark wrote:

On Dec 12, 2:17 pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:19:53 -0800 (PST), mark
put finger to keyboard and composed:

SIEMENS
OFWM1960

I'm guessing that this part may be a match:http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...tail&name=495-...

The cost is USD3.19.

This is its datasheet:http://www.epcos.com/inf/40/ds/mm/M3953M.pdf

I believe the "OFW" in the part number stands for "OberFlächenWelle"
which is German for "Surface Wave".

SAW = Surface Acoustic Wave

- Franc Zabkar

Thank you, Franc.

Franc did better than my research. All my books were too old to
help. Good work, as usual.