Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Where to buy a plug in transformer

I thought this would be the easiest thing I ever shopped for on the
Internet, but alas..

I'm looking for a AC120V - AC14V 20VA plug in transformer for an alarm
system. I figured there would be hundreds of "Transformers R Us" type
websites but I can't seem to find one right off hand.

Anybody got a favorite electronics supply vendor that sells these things?

Dallas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dallas wrote:

I thought this would be the easiest thing I ever shopped for on the
Internet, but alas..

I'm looking for a AC120V - AC14V 20VA plug in transformer for an alarm
system. I figured there would be hundreds of "Transformers R Us" type
websites but I can't seem to find one right off hand.

Anybody got a favorite electronics supply vendor that sells these things?

Dallas

Argh ... nothing found for 14 volts. How about these?

16.5vac @ 40va or 18vac @ 20va:
http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=37&main=1

16vac @ 20va:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...formers/2.html

All three are plug-in transformers for US receptacles. I have purchased
from MPJA in the past; good results. Never ordered from AllTronics.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 11, 4:42*pm, "Dallas" wrote:

I'm looking for a AC120V - AC14V 20VA plug in transformer for an alarm
system.

Anybody got a favorite electronics supply vendor that sells these things?

Dallas

Digi-Key lists them, but show them as being a "Non-Stock" item. Call
for details:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...0W&x=21& y=11

I used to have a link to another source of many wall-warts from when I
was in college, but I don't find them now. I'll keep looking in my
archives. Good luck.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

"Dallas" wrote in message
m...

| I thought this would be the easiest thing I ever shopped for on the
| Internet, but alas..
|
| I'm looking for a AC120V - AC14V 20VA plug in transformer for an alarm
| system. I figured there would be hundreds of "Transformers R Us" type
| websites but I can't seem to find one right off hand.
|
| Anybody got a favorite electronics supply vendor that sells these things?
|

| Dallas

Mouser has 15 V ones: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/636/2016.pdf

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

"Bryce" wrote in message
| Dallas wrote:
|
| I thought this would be the easiest thing I ever shopped for on the
| Internet, but alas..
|
| I'm looking for a AC120V - AC14V 20VA plug in transformer for an alarm
| system. I figured there would be hundreds of "Transformers R Us" type
| websites but I can't seem to find one right off hand.
|
| Anybody got a favorite electronics supply vendor that sells these
things?

| Dallas
|
| Argh ... nothing found for 14 volts. How about these?
|
| 16.5vac @ 40va or 18vac @ 20va:
| http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=37&main=1
|
| 16vac @ 20va:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...formers/2.html

| All three are plug-in transformers for US receptacles. I have purchased
| from MPJA in the past; good results. Never ordered from AllTronics.

I've ordered from allelectronics many times - their stuff is decent but
typically new surplus of some kind. Jameco also has a 14V wall wart (1A
though)
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ctId=202260 &

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

iws wrote:
I've ordered from allelectronics many times - their stuff is decent but
typically new surplus of some kind. Jameco also has a 14V wall wart (1A
though)
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ctId=202260 &

That may be enough. It's never clear exactly what 20VA is. It could be
14 Watts with no trouble, it could be 20 Watts before it melts down,
and it could be 14 or 20 Watts total power drawn including loss in the
core of the transformer, etc.

Here 230-120 volt conversion transformers are sold in peak VA, but it is
sold as if it were Watts (the same thing with UPS's). So a 100 "Watt" (VA)
transformer is really good for 70Watts and only for a few microseconds.
It's really only useable for about 50 Watts.

So my GUESS is that if really does output 14V at a maximum current of 1A,
it's really better than a 20VA unit.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:50:27 -0700, iws wrote:

Mouser has 15 V ones: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/636/2016.pdf

Thanks everyone for your answers.
--
Dallas