DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   LCD repair (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/266519-lcd-repair.html)

[email protected] December 10th 08 03:52 AM

LCD repair

If this is not the group to post this please forgive.
Is there any way to repair nonfunctional rows and columns in LCD
displays
such as in inexpensive games etc.?

John.

b December 10th 08 04:01 AM

LCD repair

On 10 dic, 04:52, wrote:
If this is not the group to post this please forgive.
Is there any way to repair nonfunctional rows and columns in LCD
displays
such as in inexpensive games etc.?

John.

i'm sure others with more experience than me will contribute, but
AFAIK the 'fix' for this sort of fault is panel replacement. working
on individual 'rows and columns' is not something i've ever heard
of....
-B

JW December 10th 08 10:17 AM

LCD repair

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:01:18 -0800 (PST) b
wrote in Message id:
:

On 10 dic, 04:52, wrote:
If this is not the group to post this please forgive.
Is there any way to repair nonfunctional rows and columns in LCD
displays
such as in inexpensive games etc.?

John.

i'm sure others with more experience than me will contribute, but
AFAIK the 'fix' for this sort of fault is panel replacement. working
on individual 'rows and columns' is not something i've ever heard
of....

Yup. The rows and columns are driven by chips that are bonded to a
flexible PCB that connects to the LCD itself. The chips cannot be
replaced.

William Sommerwerck December 10th 08 11:53 AM

LCD repair

This problem can be caused by dirty or oxidized contacts.

LCDs are often "attached" to the PC board with a conductive rubber strip
(not solder). Lifting the LCD and cleaning the board often fixes the
problem.

Clint Sharp December 11th 08 03:53 PM

LCD repair

In message , JW
writes
Yup. The rows and columns are driven by chips that are bonded to a
flexible PCB that connects to the LCD itself. The chips cannot be
replaced.

The chips can be and are replaced as a module including the flexible
PCB, there are companies out there who will do this. As to the economics
of replacing them on a TV or monitor...
--
Clint Sharp

JW December 12th 08 12:12 PM

LCD repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:53:45 +0000 Clint Sharp
wrote in Message id:
:

In message , JW
writes
Yup. The rows and columns are driven by chips that are bonded to a
flexible PCB that connects to the LCD itself. The chips cannot be
replaced.

The chips can be and are replaced as a module including the flexible
PCB, there are companies out there who will do this. As to the economics
of replacing them on a TV or monitor...

The panels I've looked at lately all have chips bonded to the LCD
substrate. The are not packaged but are raw die located along the vertical
and horizontal edges. Only the original manufacturer of the panel might be
able to replace them, but I'm not even sure they could.