Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Television Tube going out?

We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

What type of connector from sat box to TV?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 7, 10:44*pm, jakdedert wrote:
wrote:
We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. *Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? *Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? *I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

What you describe sounds like 50 or 60 Hz 'hum bars' in the
picture...the video equivalent of a steady hum in an audio signal at the
power line frequency. *The cause is the same; namely a 'ground loop' or
improper/insufficient shielding of the video signal somewhere along the
line.

It's also possible that this noise--and it definitely is noise, ie:
outside interference of some sort--is something different. *My bet's
still on a shielding issue. *Remove and replace each connection, making
sure all are tight. *Examine all cables for condition. *If it's
possible, substitute known-good cables one at a time to see if the
symptom improves.

You may not have the technical 'chops' to pull all this off; but it's
what it will take to dx the problem. *Find someone to help you. *One
thing for certain; it's not a symptom of a bad tube.

jak

Have you tried another tv? If the problem is stilll there, it
definitely is not the tv!