DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Television Tube going out? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/266342-television-tube-going-out.html)

[email protected] December 7th 08 01:45 AM

Television Tube going out?

We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

Jamie December 7th 08 01:52 AM

Television Tube going out?

wrote:
We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

You have some electrical noise being generated some where around you.
like a bad insulator on the line, bad grounding on the shielding
etc..

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

ian field[_2_] December 7th 08 10:38 PM

Television Tube going out?

wrote in message
We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

What type of connector from sat box to TV?

jakdedert December 8th 08 04:44 AM

Television Tube going out?

wrote:
We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

What you describe sounds like 50 or 60 Hz 'hum bars' in the
picture...the video equivalent of a steady hum in an audio signal at the
power line frequency. The cause is the same; namely a 'ground loop' or
improper/insufficient shielding of the video signal somewhere along the
line.

It's also possible that this noise--and it definitely is noise, ie:
outside interference of some sort--is something different. My bet's
still on a shielding issue. Remove and replace each connection, making
sure all are tight. Examine all cables for condition. If it's
possible, substitute known-good cables one at a time to see if the
symptom improves.

You may not have the technical 'chops' to pull all this off; but it's
what it will take to dx the problem. Find someone to help you. One
thing for certain; it's not a symptom of a bad tube.

jak

hr(bob) [email protected] December 9th 08 02:35 AM

Television Tube going out?

On Dec 7, 10:44*pm, jakdedert wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Have you tried another tv? If the problem is stilll there, it
definitely is not the tv!

Franc Zabkar December 10th 08 09:21 PM

Television Tube going out?

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:45:49 -0800 (PST), put finger
to keyboard and composed:

We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small
color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line
originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line
scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over.
Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this
could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions?
Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's
opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

These articles describe the "hum bar" phenomenon:
http://svconline.com/images/archive/...eansignals.pdf
http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_losing_hum_bar_2/

They're on the techy side, though.

If you can't resolve your ground loop problem by reorganising your
cabling, the author suggests two possible solutions - a Video
Isolation Transformer or a Video Common-Mode Choke.

- Franc Zabkar