Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default What gadget/s can't you currently leave your home without and why ?

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800 (PST), Steve
put finger to keyboard and composed:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

The key fob for my car.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Steve" wrote in message
What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

In my life so far I have installed WANs (Cisco routers, microwave radios,
work with T-1s T-3s and up to OC-48 and Fore/Marconi ATM switches - install
hardware and do the programming), install and do M.A.C.s of PBXs (Nortel
Option 81c, Opt. 11c, Callpilot, etc. - install and do the programming), ran
a computer repair department (both PCs and APPLE Macs), repair TVs, VCRs and
Pioneer Laser Disc units and worked in the prototype department of a LORAN-C
manufacturer, worked in a plastics chemistry lab and designed assembly lines
complete with the programming and installation of programmable controllers,
plus other experiences. In college I studied such things as Psychology,
mechanical engeniering, physics, ergonomics and human factors ( human -
machine interactions ) and math. Thus, I am no stranger to High-Tech..

My wife is a gadget person and has a blog, a facebook page, an iPhone, etc.
and thinks I'm strange because I seldom even use a cell phone, I pay bills
by checks through the mail, don't like to buy anything unless I have the
cash for it (almost never use credit cards) and seldom watch TV or listen to
the radio.

After all that, I have to say that, though it may be ironic, I can't think
of anything that I would feel bad about leaving at home.

I would personally be happy if I could live a simple life, ride a horse or
my mt bike to work and look forward to only having a good book and good
dinner to come home to.

As far as gadgets go, I can't think of anything since the late 1800's that I
would feel bad about leaving at home.

Sorry for cutting the number of NGs to four but my host sucks and limits it
to 4 max..

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Dec 4, 8:13*am, "caveat" wrote:

[...]

..................and you dabble in rec.org.mensa too. What about a wee
dictionary....to help you SPELL, gadget-head. Shocking! :-)
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

If you're looking for something that isn't obvious -- cell phone, navigator,
jukebox, PDA, etc -- I can't think of any.

I normally carry my cell phone -- for emergencies or long-distance calls, as
it's normally turned off -- and my PDA, which stores a lot of useful and
necessary information. But I wouldn't "die" if I left these or the other
items at home.

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Steve" wrote in message
What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

Pacemaker & insulin pump.

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"caveat" wrote in message

Hard to believe you could be a technophobe! :-)

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants. My wife says
that were I to leave them home, the women would mob me, and the men
would lynch me.

Cell phone is the only thing. I don't have anythign else that I carry.
I even leave my car keys in the car so I don't carry them either.
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Father Guido Sarducci" wrote in message
In message news:08b5b8e3-74b3-4159-8c63-
, Steve
said:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/411534932

They make a shoulder holster for that?

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants.
My wife says that were I to leave them home, the women
would mob me, and the men would lynch me.

Lynde
Oh? Would the noose be snug enough?
/Lynde

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants. My wife says
that were I to leave them home, the women would mob me, and the men
would lynch me.

Cell phone is the only thing. I don't have anythign else that I carry.
I even leave my car keys in the car so I don't carry them either.

I see a quick profit here! Where do you park your car?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 01:13:02 -0700, "caveat"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In college I studied such things as Psychology,
mechanical engeniering, ...

Before college I couldn't even spell injuneer, and now I are one! :-)

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants. My wife says
that were I to leave them home, the women would mob me, and the men
would lynch me.

Cell phone is the only thing. I don't have anythign else that I carry.
I even leave my car keys in the car so I don't carry them either.

I see a quick profit here! Where do you park your car?

In my garage... g However many people where I live don't take their
keys out of the car. It is not uncommon to see a car running at the
convience store in the winter, no one in it. (Yea, a few get stolen,
too...)
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:39:02 -0500]:

We now live in a much better neighborhood but we do not tempt our
neighbors or their children. We installed deadbolt locks, and we use
them without fail. Our neighbors think we're crazy but we will be the
last on the block, not the first, to have a breakin.

Locks only keep the honest or lazy out. How do you know that you having
deadbolts doesn't mean the thieves think you have something worth
protecting?

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Justin wrote:
Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:39:02 -0500]:
We now live in a much better neighborhood but we do not tempt our
neighbors or their children. We installed deadbolt locks, and we use
them without fail. Our neighbors think we're crazy but we will be the
last on the block, not the first, to have a breakin.

Locks only keep the honest or lazy out. How do you know that you having
deadbolts doesn't mean the thieves think you have something worth
protecting?

Short of barbed wire and towers with lights and machine guns, I've done
what I can to make a burglar work for his loot! If burglars wanted to
work, they wouldn't be burglars! I'm also heavily armed and would enjoy
the opportunity to shoot such a lowlife!
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Inspector-
Gadget

Sorry couldn't resist LOL

Bye,
Skybuck.

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Ok,

Now I have to make up for more stupid/sillyness.

Only thing I take with me is my watch:

In case somebody asks:

"What time is it ?"

The watch is kinetic so my body-movement provides for the energy and it has
a little battery...

And when I press a button the pointers move around and then stop to show how
much energy it has...

Then it waits for the extra time to elapse again... and then it starts
ticking as normal again.

When it's low on energy the pointers start making a hearbeat movement...

Like tick-tick, tick-tick, tick-tick to indicate it's last hearbeats

Kinda cool isn't it ?

I only wish it had special paint on the pointers so it would light up in the
dark !

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Reminds me of a story of my dad, can't remember exactly but it went
something like this:

He had a store... had cash in the store... was about to go home... or maybe
it was in the morning.

His store was very long... I think he heard something in the back... so he
went to take a look.

Then somebody snuck into the store at the front... went into the middle of
the store where the money bag was... stole it and went outside.

My farther did hear the doorbell.. so he went to the front of the store...
and saw the door was left standing open... I think he saw a nigga
walking/running away or something like that...

Then he went back into the middle of the store and he noticed his money bag
was gone !

It all happened in under one minute.

Seems reasonable to suspect it must have been two persons... one in the back
causing the distraction... and one sneaking into the front to steal stuff.

Also long ago my brother lost an expensive kinda-golden plated speed-bicycle
he made himself...

He parked it outside for 30 seconds or so... he went inside came back...
poof gone.

I was like 5 years old or so... at the time... so I saw how fast it went...

I didn't see nobody.. it was like... now you see it... now you dont...

Thiefs are hell-fast !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What gadget/s can't you currently leave your home without andw...

My clothes, shoes, wallet and keys.I quit wearing a wris****ch about
twenty years ago.
cuhulin

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800, Steve wrote:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why, for
anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

My cash and my reading glasses. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Steve" wrote in message
What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

American Express: because Karl Malden ingrained it in my head years ago.
mk
I could walk out of the house naked but I'd feel naked without my
Leatherman.

Posted to sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:41:35 -0600, "Ron T." not@home wrote:

.. .
said:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/411534932

They make a shoulder holster for that?

My bag of weed.

Your appeal has been denied... like you knew it would be.
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Steve wrote:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

For how long ?

When I go out I don't even always take my mobile (cell to you) phone,
i.e. I take NO gadgets. Sometimes I prefer not to be disturbed.

Graham

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

When I go out I don't even always take my mobile (cell to you) phone,
i.e. I take NO gadgets. Sometimes I prefer not to be disturbed.

Its way too late do worry about that.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Steve wrote:

What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell
phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

My cane. I don't want to fall again.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

When I go out I don't even always take my mobile (cell to you) phone,
i.e. I take NO gadgets. Sometimes I prefer not to be disturbed.

Its way too late do worry about that.

Is that so ? I take my mobile to the pub / club since it's a dating aid.

Graham

Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

When I go out I don't even always take my mobile (cell to you) phone,
i.e. I take NO gadgets. Sometimes I prefer not to be disturbed.

Its way too late do worry about that.

Is that so ? I take my mobile to the pub / club since it's a dating aid.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to alt.cellular.verizon,sci.electronics.misc,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

In article , MJKolodziej wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
currently
(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
cell phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

American Express: because Karl Malden ingrained it in my head years ago.
mk
I could walk out of the house naked but I'd feel naked without my
Leatherman.

Cellphone - "Don't Go Anywhere Without It".

LED flashlight - because I am one of those eccentric parttime
electronics engineer kind of fellows, and I have a "day job" (though not
always daytime - sometimes it is nighttime) delivering sandwiches by
bicycle. And my eyes are approaching half a century old.
I wish that some cellphones were better as flashlights than ones that I
make some flashlight use of despite them not showing much of being design
to have such products used for such purpose.

I expect that a cellphone company could rake in within the next decade
much of a gigabuck if such company made cellphones at least as useful as
flashlights as being even useful as they are at being calculators.
(8-12 or so times ever since I first got a cellphone with "calculator
feature" [roughly 6-7 years ago] I used a cellphone as a calculator. In
that same time period I used my "brainiac" as a calculator roughly
1,000-plus times and I used calculators as calulators a goodly thousand
times.)

LED headlights do come in handy - and as far as I am concerned, better
when worn on one's head or helmet. I have a disliking to park outboard
thief-removable lighting modules and batteries (or generators) on exterior
of an outdoor-parked vehicle, and I can only park my bike indoors more
than 5 or so minutes a day when indoows is in my own home! When I park it
outdoors, I am often at the mercy of "U-locks" not locking anything
related to lighting!

- Don Klipstein )