Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Public repositories of service and technical manuals?

So often requests for manuals and schematics in the newsgroups go unanswered;
here is a request for readers to post any links or other references to
public repositories of service and technical literature (such as public
or private libraries, collections, archived websites, etc.) that are alternatives
to costly and often poor quality commercial manual sellers.

We used to have libraries in our area that maintained large collections of
electronic service literature, but downsizing has altered that option
considerably.

Do you all have any local libraries that have large or useful collections
of Riders, SAMS, or mfg. specific manuals (perhaps donated by ex-employees,
etc.)? If so, posting this data will allow cooperating libraries to
inquire about inter-library loans.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:43:35 -0600, msg put
finger to keyboard and composed:

So often requests for manuals and schematics in the newsgroups go unanswered;
here is a request for readers to post any links or other references to
public repositories of service and technical literature (such as public
or private libraries, collections, archived websites, etc.) that are alternatives
to costly and often poor quality commercial manual sellers.

We used to have libraries in our area that maintained large collections of
electronic service literature, but downsizing has altered that option
considerably.

Do you all have any local libraries that have large or useful collections
of Riders, SAMS, or mfg. specific manuals (perhaps donated by ex-employees,
etc.)? If so, posting this data will allow cooperating libraries to
inquire about inter-library loans.

Michael

I notice that sometimes manuals are sent by one individual to another
via private communication. I would like to suggest that such manuals
be uploaded to public archives such as eserviceinfo.com so that
everyone may benefit. How many times have we found a reference to a
manual in an old forum post where the link to the manual has expired?

I maintain a list of my own paper and electronic manuals on my own web
site. Several people have contacted me and asked for particular
manuals on those lists. I have then uploaded the requested manuals to
eserviceinfo.com.

I also have lots of old loose leaf datasheets which I should probably
scan and make available to datasheetarchive.com. Some appear to be
quite rare. It would be nice if there were some kind of centralised
Gutenberg Project that archived old technical data for posterity. It
would be a terrible shame if old IP disappeared forever.

- Franc Zabkar