Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Screw in flourescent light bulbs.

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:59:44 -0000, GregS wrote:

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:49:11 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:14:26 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps.

More often I've seen excessive heat from an incandescent making the fitting

brittle, the danger not being fire directly, but the fitting collapsing later
on.

A lot of incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL

lamps.

Explain.

You really don't know anything, do you? Some fixtures hold in the
heat. The incandescents & ceramic sockets can handle the heat, but the
thermoplastic in the CFLs melt, the electrolytics overheat and they
fail, or catch on fire.

When I first started using them about 17 years ago, I thought I had
a few light fixtures that were way too hot, and I worried about that.
By using CFL's I would be usinf less electricity and the fixtures were much cooler.
If it was an incandescent fixture in the first place, they automatically
hold a fire for a very short period and suffocate it usually. I would worry
more about CFL's NOT in fixtures, I have one CFL in the front yard 24/365
and it probably gets real hot in the summer day, but so far its going without
problems. Fully air sealed anyway.

Why do you have it on on a hot summer's day?

The most effective way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cause I don't turn the switch off and on. I just leave it.
I do have parts to update my front lawn post including some spots
to illuminate some trees, and they will have a photo switch. I hope
the switch works on CFL's. I was going to check if this switch used a relay.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't need to illuminate my front lawn, there's a bloody streetlamp there!

When I eventually get round to building the pond and lighting it, I may have to black out that side of the streetlamp (it's the old hemispherical dome variety).

Why did the Blonde put ice in her boyfriend's condom?
To keep the swelling down.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Peter Hucker" wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:41:31 -0000, GregS wrote:

In article , "Peter Hucker"

wrote:

[...]

The trouble with street lights, only 10% of the light hits the street.
The rest just blinds you.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:14:26 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps.

More often I've seen excessive heat from an incandescent making the fitting brittle, the danger not being fire directly, but the fitting collapsing later on.

A lot of incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL lamps.

Explain.

You really don't know anything, do you? Some fixtures hold in the
heat. The incandescents & ceramic sockets can handle the heat, but the
thermoplastic in the CFLs melt, the electrolytics overheat and they
fail, or catch on fire.

Considering the heat generation is 75% less with a CFL....

You still don't get it, do you?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have an honours degree.

Basket weaving doesn't count.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:17:29 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

ian field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes
right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps. A lot of
incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL lamps.

PHucker boasts of having rigged his house with cobbled together 12V
lighting
run from solar panels and scrounged end of life car batteries, he most
likely had some scares using LV halogens in unsuitable enclosures.

With any luck, it will burn to the ground from his shoddy work.

He has a number of parrots loose in the house - it wouldn't be fair on
them!

So, everything there is a birdbrain?

Silly term "birdbrain" - most birds are more intelligent than a lot of people.

Sure they are, when compared to you.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps. A lot of
incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL lamps.

PHucker boasts of having rigged his house with cobbled together 12V lighting
run from solar panels and scrounged end of life car batteries, he most
likely had some scares using LV halogens in unsuitable enclosures.

With any luck, it will burn to the ground form his shoddy work.

LEDs running on 12 volts are far less likely to burn than commercial lighting.

Really? For the same power, that is 10 times the current. That
increases the chances for a fire.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

You must come from a large family then.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

If the birds are so smart, why do they stay with him?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Birds of a feather flock together.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Funny, I've never been blinded by a street light. BMW headlights on the other hand....

"Inflation is creeping up," a young man said to his friend,
"Yesterday I ordered a $25.00 steak in a restaurant and told them
to put it on my American Express card -- and it fit."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:14:26 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps.

More often I've seen excessive heat from an incandescent making the fitting brittle, the danger not being fire directly, but the fitting collapsing later on.

A lot of incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL lamps.

Explain.

You really don't know anything, do you? Some fixtures hold in the
heat. The incandescents & ceramic sockets can handle the heat, but the
thermoplastic in the CFLs melt, the electrolytics overheat and they
fail, or catch on fire.

Considering the heat generation is 75% less with a CFL....

You still don't get it, do you?

I don't get how you manage to overheat something with a quarter of the heat input, no.

The other night I was invited out for a night with the 'girls.' I told my husband that I would be home by midnight, 'I promise!'
Well, the hours passed and the margarita's went down way too easily. Around 3 a.m., a bit loaded, I headed for home.
Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hallway started up and cuckooed 3 times. Quickly, realizing my husband would probably wake up, I cuckooed another 9 times. I was really proud of myself for coming up with such a quick-witted solution in order to escape a possible conflict with him.
(Even when totally smashed... 3 cuckoos plus 9 cuckoos totals 12 cuckoos = MIDNIGHT!)
The next morning my husband asked me what time I got in, I told him 'MIDNIGHT'... he didn't seem ****ed off in the least. Whew, I got away with that one!
Then he said 'We need a new cuckoo clock.'
When I asked him why, he said, 'Well, last night our clock cuckooed three times, then said 'oh ****.' Cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed another three times, giggled, cuckooed twice more, and then tripped over the coffee table and farted.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:25:18 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have an honours degree.

Basket weaving doesn't count.

Physics and Digital Microelectronics.

If you are having sex with TWO women and ONE more woman walks in, what do you have?
Divorce proceedings, most likely.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

That sentence just proves how childish you are.

More and more cities are instituting a 10:30 PM curfew for everyone younger than 18.
Experts say keeping teens indoors at night is the only way to make the streets safe for adults.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

What part of CFL lamps overheating and catching on fire goes right
over your head?

It only happens extremely occasionally.

A hell of a lot more often than with incandescent lamps. A lot of
incandescent fixtures are not designed for safe operation of CFL lamps.

PHucker boasts of having rigged his house with cobbled together 12V lighting
run from solar panels and scrounged end of life car batteries, he most
likely had some scares using LV halogens in unsuitable enclosures.

With any luck, it will burn to the ground form his shoddy work.

LEDs running on 12 volts are far less likely to burn than commercial lighting.

Really? For the same power, that is 10 times the current. That
increases the chances for a fire.

They use so little power though. Anyway the main source of heat in any lighting is from the light source itself, not the wires supplying it. I've never felt any LEDs getting warmer than body temperature.

More and more cities are instituting a 10:30 PM curfew for everyone younger than 18.
Experts say keeping teens indoors at night is the only way to make the streets safe for adults.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because I look after them better than most "pet owners".

"The world is far too cosy," said god. So he invented Arabs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got an LED array that uses 45 watts. See if you can hold that.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I don't get how you manage to overheat something with a quarter of the heat input, no.

You really are dense, aren't you? The CFL isn't rated to operate
anywhere near the temperature an incandescent lamp produces. It isn't
glass metal & high temperature cement. Some parts aren't even rated to
stand boiling water. Some fixtures hold in more heat than others. They
are designed to handle the extra heat. Put a wimpy CFL inside that
fixture and it will die a quick death. Sometimes with a free lightshow
& fireworks.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have an honours degree.

Basket weaving doesn't count.

Physics and Digital Microelectronics.

Is it too late to get a refund?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

That sentence just proves how childish you are.

Make up your mind. That is, if there is enough of it left.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

What size is it? If it's too hot to hold I doubt the LEDs will last long.

Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:04:30 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If the birds are so smart, why do they stay with him?

Because I look after them better than most "pet owners".

Really? Have you met most pet owners? Or are you just lying, as
usual?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

They use so little power though. Anyway the main source of heat in any lighting is from the light source itself, not the wires supplying it. I've never felt any LEDs getting warmer than body temperature.

Truly amazing! Your ignorance is something to behold.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:16:06 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

I don't get how you manage to overheat something with a quarter of the heat input, no.

You really are dense, aren't you? The CFL isn't rated to operate
anywhere near the temperature an incandescent lamp produces. It isn't
glass metal & high temperature cement. Some parts aren't even rated to
stand boiling water. Some fixtures hold in more heat than others. They
are designed to handle the extra heat. Put a wimpy CFL inside that
fixture and it will die a quick death. Sometimes with a free lightshow
& fireworks.

I've got a CFL (100watt equivalent) in a completely enclosed glass fitting in the bathroom. It has lasted just fine.

I don't think I'd want a fitting that could hold the heat enough to make a CFL get to 100C. That would mean an incandescent would get a lot hotter than that! What of the surrounding stuff, like the ceiling?

What should you do if a girl sits on your hand?
Try to get her off.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:17:29 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

[...]

They took pity on him, and are trying to take care of him.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have an honours degree.

Basket weaving doesn't count.

Physics and Digital Microelectronics.

Is it too late to get a refund?

In my day we were paid to get degrees. Then the governent ****ed the education system.

REALITY.EXE corrupt. Reboot universe (Y/N)?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:18:01 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

That sentence just proves how childish you are.

Make up your mind. That is, if there is enough of it left.

I have never said you weren't childish.

A. Top posters.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:19:17 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:04:30 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If the birds are so smart, why do they stay with him?

Because I look after them better than most "pet owners".

Really? Have you met most pet owners? Or are you just lying, as
usual?

I've met loads, ones I've sold parrots to or bought parrots from.

I don't keep them in cages. 99% of people do. And yes there is a lot of claning up to do.

A. Top posters.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:20:34 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

They use so little power though. Anyway the main source of heat in any lighting is from the light source itself, not the wires supplying it. I've never felt any LEDs getting warmer than body temperature.

Truly amazing! Your ignorance is something to behold.

Are my LEDs magical then? Because they certainly are not warmer than I am.

Whats the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Less than 1.5 inch square, but it on a copper pad, on top a peltier, on top an aluminum
sink with a fan.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I don't get how you manage to overheat something with a quarter of the heat input, no.

You really are dense, aren't you? The CFL isn't rated to operate
anywhere near the temperature an incandescent lamp produces. It isn't
glass metal & high temperature cement. Some parts aren't even rated to
stand boiling water. Some fixtures hold in more heat than others. They
are designed to handle the extra heat. Put a wimpy CFL inside that
fixture and it will die a quick death. Sometimes with a free lightshow
& fireworks.

I've got a CFL (100watt equivalent) in a completely enclosed glass fitting in the bathroom. It has lasted just fine.

I don't think I'd want a fitting that could hold the heat enough to make a CFL get to 100C. That would mean an incandescent would get a lot hotter than that! What of the surrounding stuff, like the ceiling?

You really are dense, aren't you? The fixtures ARE DESIGNED FOR THE
HIGHER OPERATING TEMPERATURE.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have an honours degree.

Basket weaving doesn't count.

Physics and Digital Microelectronics.

Is it too late to get a refund?

In my day we were paid to get degrees. Then the governent ****ed the education system.

No. it was when they paid you.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

That sentence just proves how childish you are.

Make up your mind. That is, if there is enough of it left.

I have never said you weren't childish.

Is that the best you can do, with your TWO HONORS DEGREES? What a
ripoff!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:04:30 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If the birds are so smart, why do they stay with him?

Because I look after them better than most "pet owners".

Really? Have you met most pet owners? Or are you just lying, as
usual?

I've met loads, ones I've sold parrots to or bought parrots from.

I don't keep them in cages. 99% of people do. And yes there is a lot of claning up to do.

So a sample so small as to be meaningless. Too bad you didn't study
statistics. Some pets like cages. They feel secure, in their own
space. I suppose you are against fenced in yards & dog houses, too.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , (GregS) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Here are some not so bright. I think these are 10 watts or less.

http://zekfrivolous.com/pics/leds/ga..._image-694.jpg

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:07:54 -0000, GregS wrote:

In article , "Peter Hucker" wrote:

They use so little power though. Anyway the main source of heat in any
lighting is from the light source itself, not the wires supplying it. I've
never felt any LEDs getting warmer than body temperature.

I got an LED array that uses 45 watts. See if you can hold that.

What size is it? If it's too hot to hold I doubt the LEDs will last long.

You really are dense, aren't you? Some LED arrays are built on an
aluminum heatsink.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLD&q=high+power+LED+array+alumi num

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

They use so little power though. Anyway the main source of heat in any lighting is from the light source itself, not the wires supplying it. I've never felt any LEDs getting warmer than body temperature.

Truly amazing! Your ignorance is something to behold.

Are my LEDs magical then? Because they certainly are not warmer than I am.

No, just substandard.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:
PHucker boasts of having rigged his house with cobbled together
12V
lighting
run from solar panels and scrounged end of life car batteries, he
most
likely had some scares using LV halogens in unsuitable enclosures.

With any luck, it will burn to the ground from his shoddy work.

He has a number of parrots loose in the house - it wouldn't be fair
on
them!

So, everything there is a birdbrain?

Silly term "birdbrain" - most birds are more intelligent than a lot of
people.

You must come from a large family then.

If the birds are so smart, why do they stay with him?

Birds of a feather flock together.

They took pity on him, and are trying to take care of him.

Then why is it I'm the one who has to operate the vacuum cleaner?

The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Which I assume is cooling it satisfactorily, thus I could hold it?

Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."