Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Thermostat Repair

White-Rodgers 1F90-51/-60 digital, programmable thermostat from
about 1987.

Mea Culpa: I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years.
Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off.

I jerry-rigged something that got it going again, but it's so
flimsy that it could fail anytime. And it's cold, Cold, COLD
nowadays (midwest US).

It looks like a common design. Copper spade connectors that mount
in a groove in the plastic on one end, extend to allow contact
with the battery poles on the other.

Any suggestions on how to do a substantial repair? It's a great old
(4 wire, single-stage) control, there's a zillion of them around
here yet in service: in friends houses, businesses, etc. Moreover, I
got nooooooo idea what t-stats they got on the market currently or
how they might wire.

Thx,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:50:11 +1100, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:56:55 -0600, Puddin' Man
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years.
Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off.

I salvage battery contacts from discarded equipment just for this
reason.

You are smarter than po' me. And you plan better. :-)

If you can upload a photo of the old contacts, and provide the
dimensions, I can try to match them with something in my junk box, in
which case you can have them for the cost of postage from Australia.

No problem with the pic, and I -very- much appreciate the offer, but
I dunno we should have to ship across 3/4 of the planet for this
(I'm in midwest US).

Let me fish around a bit. I'll get back to you.

Thanks,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:56:55 -0600, Puddin' Man
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years.
Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off.

I salvage battery contacts from discarded equipment just for this
reason. If you can upload a photo of the old contacts, and provide the
dimensions, I can try to match them with something in my junk box, in
which case you can have them for the cost of postage from Australia.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Or buy a 3 AA cell holderfrom Radio Shack and attach it externally ;-)

John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can probably order replacement parts from the manufacture.

The more complicated alternative is to look at some of the local
electronic parts dealers and see if you can match up a set of spade
lungs. You can also get some copper alloy sheet metal of the same
gauge as the origional spades, and make your own pieces.

Another solution is to get a battery holder at an electronics parts
dealer and see how you can innovate a new battery holder for your
unit.

Personly, I would see if I can buy replacement parts from the
manufacture.

Jerry G.

On Nov 27, 11:56*am, Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

* P

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
* *- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:58:51 -0800 (PST), "Jerry G." wrote:

You can probably order replacement parts from the manufacture.

The more complicated alternative is to look at some of the local
electronic parts dealers and see if you can match up a set of spade
lungs. You can also get some copper alloy sheet metal of the same
gauge as the origional spades, and make your own pieces.

I got some sheet brass that might be suitable.

Another solution is to get a battery holder at an electronics parts
dealer and see how you can innovate a new battery holder for your
unit.

Don't know where I'd put the holder save just hanging it inside
the wall.

Personly, I would see if I can buy replacement parts from the
manufacture.

Oh, I didn't neglect that possibility. Couldn't find anything
on the net, tho.