Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Paging Jim Yanik - 7000 series plugin question

Jim (and other Tek alumni),

Why is there no polar display or vectorscope plugin for the 7000 series?
Did you ever hear of a third party that made one?

Thanks,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:

msg wrote

Jim (and other Tek alumni),

Why is there no polar display or vectorscope plugin for the 7000 series?
Did you ever hear of a third party that made one?

7000 series were primarily Laboratory scopes.

At that time frame,vectorscopes were the 602 X-Y display(used in Ampex tape
machines,driven by a 650 series TV monitor)

Did the 650 then provide an I and Q signal to the 602 X-Y display to produce
the polar plot?

as another poster mentioned,7000 series X-Y displays were done with
vertical plug-ins in both Vert and Horiz slots.

If I were to construct a 7000 vectorscope plugin, what should I look for
to cannibalize for prototyping? Was there a specific user-prototyping plugin module?
Perhaps I should shoehorn an existing color processing board from some monitor
into the module? I would like to have line/field selection; suggestions for make and
model of any video device to cannibalize that includes such sync processing circuitry
appreciated.

With limited shelf/rack space, I have room for only one scope and hope to do a plugin
solution rather than build an outboard box that drives two vertical plugins.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

msg wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

msg wrote

Jim (and other Tek alumni),

Why is there no polar display or vectorscope plugin for the 7000
series? Did you ever hear of a third party that made one?

7000 series were primarily Laboratory scopes.

At that time frame,vectorscopes were the 602 X-Y display(used in
Ampex tape machines,driven by a 650 series TV monitor)

Did the 650 then provide an I and Q signal to the 602 X-Y display to
produce the polar plot?

yes.Later versions used a 1420 vectorscope,next to a 528 waveform monitor.
(then 1720/1730 combo,or a single 1740/1750 dual wfm/vector scopes.

as another poster mentioned,7000 series X-Y displays were done with
vertical plug-ins in both Vert and Horiz slots.

If I were to construct a 7000 vectorscope plugin, what should I look
for to cannibalize for prototyping? Was there a specific
user-prototyping plugin module?

7A17,IIRC.
It was a very simple differential amp with a large perfboard area for
circuits,with a blank faceplate. not too common.

Perhaps I should shoehorn an existing
color processing board from some monitor into the module?

a 650's board(s)will not fit.
I suppose you could use the circuitry from a 1420 vectorscope.All the
vector circuits were on one board,but it was 1.5 times as large as the
entire 7A17. there probably are modern TV decoding IC sets that could do
the whole job on the 7A17's perfboard area,but I could not recommend any.

And you still will not have a vector graticule for the CRT.

I would like
to have line/field selection; suggestions for make and model of any
video device to cannibalize that includes such sync processing
circuitry appreciated.

With limited shelf/rack space, I have room for only one scope and hope
to do a plugin solution rather than build an outboard box that drives
two vertical plugins.

Michael

If I were you,I'd look for a 1720(half-rack width) and a half-rack scope of
some sort.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik