Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default how to redonate an old computer to a kid

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

You may have to "redonate" your old computer a hundred times before
you find a kid that's grateful enough to take it, and unashamed to use
it.

A lot of poor people are poor because they spend like rich people.
Here in this country, most "Aussie battlers" are self made.

/end of rant

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:44:21 -0000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

You may have to "redonate" your old computer a hundred times before
you find a kid that's grateful enough to take it, and unashamed to use
it.

A lot of poor people are poor because they spend like rich people.
Here in this country, most "Aussie battlers" are self made.

/end of rant

I've sent old ones to Africa.

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

You may have to "redonate" your old computer a hundred times before
you find a kid that's grateful enough to take it, and unashamed to use
it.

A lot of poor people are poor because they spend like rich people.
Here in this country, most "Aussie battlers" are self made.

/end of rant

- Franc Zabkar

I beg to differ. I don't know what the OP has, but my daughter was the
ecstatic recipient of an Athlon 2.0 gig machine on her birthday. I
hooked it up to her stereo system and put a PCI wireless card in so that
I wouldn't have to run copper to her mom's desk for internet...doesn't
even have an LCD monitor.

We had gifted her pretty heavily earlier in the day with swim
paraphernalia (she's a competition swimmer). While she was at swim
practice (two hours/day, five days/week), I hooked up the system in her
bedroom. When she came home I handed her 'one last present'. It was a
mouse in a plastic bag. 'What do I do with this?' I told her she might
need it some day, and to go put up her swim stuff. (She didn't get it....)

The shrieks of delight from her room were music to my heart and ears.

Frank, you've got a jaded view of kids...at least some of them.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I've sent old ones to Africa.

And this happens to them :-(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gallery/2008/may/06/computer.waste?picture=333898276

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:50:45 -0000, "Peter Hucker" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:44:21 -0000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

You may have to "redonate" your old computer a hundred times before
you find a kid that's grateful enough to take it, and unashamed to use
it.

A lot of poor people are poor because they spend like rich people.
Here in this country, most "Aussie battlers" are self made.

/end of rant

I've sent old ones to Africa.

Foreign aid to Africa is a case of poor people in rich countries
giving money to rich people in poor countries. I've donated a lot of
money to World Vision in the past, but never again. Africa is in a
state of perpetual war, aid projects go to ruin after the volunteers
leave, food convoys are hijacked and the produce sold on the black
market, corrupt officials pocket aid money for themselves, etc, etc.
Rampant HIV/AIDS will kill most of the population by the end of the
next decade.

Better keep your old computer and set it up as a print server, or
paperless fax machine, or audio/video jukebox, or dedicated standalone
word processor.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:

I've sent old ones to Africa.

And this happens to them :-(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gallery/2008/may/06/computer.waste?picture=333898276

Or they end up on carboot sales or being sold out of the back of white
vans on pub car parks.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

A local volunteer group has a list of over 40 kids waiting for _ANY_
used computer they can get. They are trying to find enough parts to
catch up before Christmas day. They said most of the computers are Win
98, with 2 GB hard drives.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:36:11 -0000, Adrian C wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

I've sent old ones to Africa.

And this happens to them :-(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gallery/2008/may/06/computer.waste?picture=333898276

The kids are making money selling the scrap metal. Problem?

(_)
_ )_( _
/`_) H (_`\
.' ( { } ) '.
_/ /` '-'='-' `\ \_
[_.' _,...,_ '._]
| .:"`````":. |
|__//_________\\__|
| .-----------. |
| | .-"""-. | |
| | / / \ | |
| ||- -|| |
| | \ \ / | |
| |[`'-...-'`]| |
| | ;-.___.-; | |
| | | ||| | | |
| | | ||| | | |
| | | ||| | | |
| | | ||| | | |
| | | ||| | | |
| | | _|||_ | | |
| | | === | | |
| | | |___| | | |
| | | ||| | | |
| | | ;-; | | |
| | | ( ) | | |
| | | '-' | | |
| | '-------' | |
_| '-----------' |_
[= === === ==== == =]
[__--__--___--__--__]
/__-___-___-___-___-__\
`"""""""""""""""""""""""`
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I've sent old ones to Africa.

And this happens to them :-(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gallery/2008/may/06/computer.waste?picture=333898276

So how come charities don't know this?

PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS (45 letters, a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust) is the longest word in the English language, beating TETRAMETHYLDIAMINOBENZHYDRYLPHOSPHINOUS ACID, HEPATICOCHOLANGIOCHOLECYSTENTEROSTOMIES, FORMALDEHYDETETRAMETHYLAMIDOFLUORIMUM, and DIMETHYLAMIDOPHENYLDIMETHYLPYRAZOLONE.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:36:22 -0000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

Surely a big organisation such as World Vision would know this?

One day, a blonde and a brunette were out for a ride in the blonde's new car.
Suddenly, some jerk pulled in front of them.
The blonde put her lips on the steering wheel.
The brunette feared for her life, but had the courage to ask, "What are you doing?!"
The blonde calmly replied, "I'm trying to blow the horn."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hucker wrote:

I've sent old ones to Africa.

And this happens to them :-(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gallery/2008/may/06/computer.waste?picture=333898276

The kids are making money selling the scrap metal. Problem?

Yes, no one is teaching them how to do 419 scams. Far more lucrative....

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:39:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

A local volunteer group has a list of over 40 kids waiting for _ANY_
used computer they can get. They are trying to find enough parts to
catch up before Christmas day. They said most of the computers are Win
98, with 2 GB hard drives.

I have two Athlon PCs, from a deceased estate, that I can't give away.
My father had a 5-year-old 68cm LG TV, with no history of faults, that
he couldn't give away (in the end I sold it for AU$50). I have a
working dish washer that nobody wants, and a computer desk and hutch,
in excellent condition, that I'll have to dump because I already have
two. I take electronic gear to the Salvation Army, but I suspect most
of it ends up in the trash. In fact they once told me that no-one
wants "old" stuff. Nowadays I just cannibalise old TVs, etc for parts.

BTW, here's a use for old floppy diskettes:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/us...sk-pen-set.jpg

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:01:47 -0000, "Peter Hucker" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:36:22 -0000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

Foreign aid to Africa is a case of poor people in rich countries
giving money to rich people in poor countries. I've donated a lot of
money to World Vision in the past, but never again. Africa is in a
state of perpetual war, aid projects go to ruin after the volunteers
leave, food convoys are hijacked and the produce sold on the black
market, corrupt officials pocket aid money for themselves, etc, etc.
Rampant HIV/AIDS will kill most of the population by the end of the
next decade.

Better keep your old computer and set it up as a print server, or
paperless fax machine, or audio/video jukebox, or dedicated standalone
word processor.

Surely a big organisation such as World Vision would know this?

Sorry, I should explain. World Vision sent me a newsletter in which
they stated that some aid money was being used to build churches, or
something of that nature, IIRC. Whatever it was, it turned me off
forever. This was about 20 years ago.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:45:02 -0000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

I also avoid anything that hints at churches.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

No local freecycle group? http://www.freecycle.org All that stuff is
taken quickly, around here. Sometimes there are over 50 requests for an
item. People even take dead TVs and other electronics.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:39:10 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

No local freecycle group? http://www.freecycle.org All that stuff is
taken quickly, around here. Sometimes there are over 50 requests for an
item. People even take dead TVs and other electronics.

Thanks, I found one. Looks good ...

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

On Nov 18, 2:50*pm, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.- Hide quoted text -

well, isn't that basically where they came from in fact, assuming you
believe in evolution?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:36:47 -0000, z wrote:

On Nov 18, 2:50*pm, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.- Hide quoted text -

well, isn't that basically where they came from in fact, assuming you
believe in evolution?

Typewriters did not evolve, silly :-P

It's always funny, until someone gets hurt...
then it's just hilarious.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:39:10 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

No local freecycle group? http://www.freecycle.org All that stuff is
taken quickly, around here. Sometimes there are over 50 requests for an
item. People even take dead TVs and other electronics.

Thanks, I found one. Looks good ...

Better to give, than to toss!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
BTW, here's a use for old floppy diskettes:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/us...sk-pen-set.jpg

Brilliant! making one right now :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:17:38 +0000, Adrian C put

Franc Zabkar wrote:
BTW, here's a use for old floppy diskettes:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/us...sk-pen-set.jpg

Brilliant! making one right now :-)

Here are more recycling ideas, but not quite as easy to replicate:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFi...242/854561.jpg
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...er_robot_1.jpg
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...er_robot_2.jpg
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...er_robot_3.jpg
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...er_robot_4.jpg
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...er_robot_5.jpg
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...er_robot_6.jpg

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:39:31 -0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

A local volunteer group has a list of over 40 kids waiting for _ANY_
used computer they can get. They are trying to find enough parts to
catch up before Christmas day. They said most of the computers are Win
98, with 2 GB hard drives.

I tried to give away some Windows 2000 mahines (about 300MHz). I managed to give away 2. A further 15 kids asked if it could run XP then turned down the offer.

A guy goes to a psychiatrist.
"I'm in love with my horse," says the guy. "I desire my horse!"
"I see," says the shrink. "What kind of horse is it? Male or female?"
"Female of course! Do I look like some sort of pervert?"