Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter PMP400

I have a "Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter," model PMP400, like
the one seen at
http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/...cs/371308b.jpg
.. Its fan looks like a typical laptop computer fan. When I try using
it, it doesn't work at all - until I direct a brisk puff of air into the
fan, to get it rotating.

I'd like to fix it, if it isn't too much trouble. Any suggestions?

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Marshall Price wrote:

I have a "Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter," model PMP400,
like the one seen at

http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/...cs/371308b.jpg
. Its fan looks like a typical laptop computer fan. When I try using
it, it doesn't work at all - until I direct a brisk puff of air into
the fan, to get it rotating.

I'd like to fix it, if it isn't too much trouble. Any suggestions?

Could be a bit stiff in the bearings or not quite enough voltage to get
it started. The fan in my inverter (not quite the same) spins at quite
a lick. But your right it probably is a standard 12 volt fan. In my
inverter it goes directly across the battery on the inverter side of
the power switch.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Marshall Price wrote in
m:

I have a "Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter," model PMP400, like
the one seen at
http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/...cs/371308b.jpg
. Its fan looks like a typical laptop computer fan. When I try using
it, it doesn't work at all - until I direct a brisk puff of air into the
fan, to get it rotating.

I'd like to fix it, if it isn't too much trouble. Any suggestions?

It's bearings are probably worn out.
pull fan,check for make and model numbers,Google for specs,if not already
listed on fan. Then find new replacement.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:26:47 -0500, Marshall Price
wrote:

I have a "Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter," model PMP400, like
the one seen at
http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/...cs/371308b.jpg
. Its fan looks like a typical laptop computer fan. When I try using
it, it doesn't work at all - until I direct a brisk puff of air into the
fan, to get it rotating.

I'd like to fix it, if it isn't too much trouble. Any suggestions?

Open unit. Temporarily remove fan(s). Blow out any dust and dirt
with canned air. Carefully remove the paper or foil label covering
the center hub of the fan. Under the label, you may find a rubber
plug. Carefully remove the rubber plug. You'll see the shaft and
"bearing" (actually a bushing). Dump a few drops of 10wt machine oil
into the bushing. Replace the rubber plug. Wipe off any oil you
slopped over the center hub with alcohol so the label glue will stick.
Replace the paper or foil label. Grab the fan blades and "pump" the
rotor in and out to scrape loose any solidified goo on the shaft. Make
sure the fan spins freely. If so, you win. Reinstall.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Coleman Powermate amdx Home Repair 7 June 9th 08 11:20 PM
Vector 3,000 watt power inverter question Mike Electronics Repair 55 January 1st 07 02:05 AM
coleman 400 watt power inverter [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 August 10th 06 01:33 PM
power washer, Coleman + Honda Jay Tanner Home Repair 3 January 19th 05 11:47 PM
Any experience with Coleman Powermate cordless tools? Dave Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 09:57 PM