Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD Burner Failure?

This may be slightly off-topic, but this seemed to be the best place I
could find.
I'm wondering if I need to replace the LG DVD-RW drive on my PC. The drive
appears to read CDs and DVDs just fine, but the trouble occurs when I try to
burn video DVDs (haven't tried any data DVDs yet). The write process will
appear to have been successful, but when I go to play the disc back (on
various players), only the first 5 minutes or so is playable - after that,
the video goes jerky and/or freezes. I've tried burning several discs with
different content, and with different levels of compression, and have noted
something odd. The problem seems to occur at a certain physical place on the
disc, regardless of the content. For example, if I burn a disc at 100%
quality, the video cuts out about five minutes in. If I burn the same
content at 50% quality, the video goes about ten minutes before it cuts out.
Examining the disc itself showed something else very odd. The first 1/4" of
the written area (from the center) has a darker appearance than the rest of
the disc. Previously burned discs that turned out OK do not show this
symptom - the entire surface of the disc (the written area anyway) is the
same color. All have been recorded with the same media, hardware, software,
and settings.
At this point I suspect that the laser is crapping out after it warms up -
would I be right? This drive has (successfully) burned hundreds of CD's and
DVD's in it's two-year lifetime, so failure would not surprise me. But I'd
still like to make sure before I shell out $50 for a new one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 18:26:17 -0000, Chris F. wrote:

[...]

I'm inclined to agree - it's probably the drive. Although you could try a different brand of blank disks, they may work better with it.

Have you used the burner a lot? They do wear out.

Usually the disk's colour change where written is less obvious when a laser is dying.

New here? Pull up a chair and we'll plug you in.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:26:17 -0800, "Chris F."
put finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

Try burning at the lowest possible speed. That should require a lower
laser intensity. A lower speed may also compensate for servo problems,
which could also be related to a weak laser. The laser needs to track
a "pregroove" on an otherwise blank disc.

It might also be worth noting whether you have the same problems when
burning CDs.

Another possibility could be that your drive is using P-CAV or Z-CLV
modes:
http://cdspeed2000.com/faq.html#4

This means that the transfer rate is lowest near the hub and increases
as the laser moves toward the circumference. A weak laser could have
problems at higher speeds.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris F. wrote:

[...]

The laser is sticking part way down the rails ! Probably dirt, dust or
other debris. If you want to open it up and clean the rails with a dry
cotton bud and then one damped in very fine oil it should get it
working again.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Chris F." wrote in message
This may be slightly off-topic, but this seemed to be the best place I
could find.

At this point I suspect that the laser is crapping out after it warms
up -
would I be right? This drive has (successfully) burned hundreds of CD's
and
DVD's in it's two-year lifetime, so failure would not surprise me. But I'd
still like to make sure before I shell out $50 for a new one.

Make sure the computer is doing nothing else at write time. Also, lots of
RAM helps.

Burning software that "gets behind" often causes problems like yours.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Back in the early days of consumer CD-RW drives I had a drive that
"mysteriously" started doing a similar thing. I would start to burn a
disc,and then it would lock up at about 33%,everytime. I had to
physically power-cycle the PC to regain control.

I later learned that this was caused by my switch from Adaptec
software,to Nero. Apparently they have different drivers,and if one
isn't installed over the other correctly(blah,blah,blah)it will hose the
firmware in the drive! OOPS! I was not happy when I read that.
$300 drive toasted. Grr.

Many years later I lucked out,and got a brand new 52x drive for $15.
(and it is still working fine in the server.)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:38:42 -0000, Charles wrote:

"Chris F." wrote in message
This may be slightly off-topic, but this seemed to be the best place I
could find.

At this point I suspect that the laser is crapping out after it warms
up -
would I be right? This drive has (successfully) burned hundreds of CD's
and
DVD's in it's two-year lifetime, so failure would not surprise me. But I'd
still like to make sure before I shell out $50 for a new one.

Make sure the computer is doing nothing else at write time. Also, lots of
RAM helps.

Burning software that "gets behind" often causes problems like yours.

Only with very old drives without burn-proof (anti buffer underrun) technology - the ability to stop and wait for the computer.

Leaving the wedding reception the honeymoon couple hailed a cab to take them to their romantic boutique hotel in the hills. The driver wasn't too sure how to get there and said he would ask
directions when they got closer.
Meanwhile, the lovers couldn't wait and got down to it on the back seat. Seeing a fork in the road the driver said, "I take the next turn, right?"
"No way, get your own," said the groom, "this one's all mine."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 03:00:17 -0000, PhattyMo wrote:

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

I just rendered Windows Vista 64 bit unbootable by installing Roxio.

A bloke on his way home from work comes to a dead halt in traffic and thinks to himself, "Wow, this traffic seems worse than usual. Nothing's moving."
He notices a police officer walking back and forth between the lines of cars so he rolls down his window and asks: "Officer what's the hold up?"
The officer replies: "It's a Man Utd fan, he's just so depressed about losing the premiership to Arsenal last season and again to Chelsea this season, being knocked out of Europe and the prospect of winning **** all after gobbing off all season, selling out to a yank, he's threatening to douse himself in petrol and set himself on fire. He says his family hates him, his mates are all laughing at him and he has never had a job. I'm walking around taking a collection for him."
"Oh really?" says the bloke. "How much have you collected so far?".
"Only about 1/2 a litre, but a lot of people are still siphoning."

DVD Burner Failure? Chris F.[_2_] Electronics Repair 19 November 24th 08 10:07 AM
log burner Staffbull UK diy 62 December 26th 07 10:55 AM
oil burner [email protected] UK diy 4 December 27th 06 04:28 PM
Buy new Oil Burner or fix old one? Tony Home Repair 1 November 15th 06 12:20 AM
Mad Dog CD burner JURB6006 Electronics Repair 7 November 22nd 04 12:33 PM