DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Arcade game monitor problem (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/263188-arcade-game-monitor-problem.html)

Ken G. October 22nd 08 03:22 PM

Arcade game monitor problem

I have an old asteroids full size vintage video game .
I has a black & white monitor .

When it first comes on its fine . Within 10 minutes the whole image gets
bigger , things disappear off the edges . The center of the screen gets
a bit darker .
I suspected the hi voltage diode off the flyback and adjusting the hi
voltage pot but replacing that did not help .

I dont have any model #s the monitor has one medum circuit board and
one small board with the flyback in a metal box .

Thanks

Ken Layton October 22nd 08 06:45 PM

Arcade game monitor problem

rec.games.video.arcade.collecting is the correct newsgroup.

Franc Zabkar October 22nd 08 08:04 PM

Arcade game monitor problem

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:22:07 -0600, (Ken G.) put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an old asteroids full size vintage video game .
I has a black & white monitor .

When it first comes on its fine . Within 10 minutes the whole image gets
bigger , things disappear off the edges . The center of the screen gets
a bit darker .
I suspected the hi voltage diode off the flyback and adjusting the hi
voltage pot but replacing that did not help .

I dont have any model #s the monitor has one medum circuit board and
one small board with the flyback in a metal box .

Thanks

The "blooming" does sound to me like a low EHT problem. I'd check the
B+ going to the FBT, and the base drive to the LOP transistor. Make
sure the duty cycle doesn't change. I've seen this happen in an old
IBM monitor as a ceramic capacitor in the horizontal oscillator warmed
up. However, in my case the EHT gradually increased until the HV
protection shut down the monitor.

- Franc Zabkar

Ken G. October 24th 08 03:33 PM

Arcade game monitor problem

Thanks Franc .. I dont know which conection is B+ on this . It seems to
be a Wells Gardner monitor according to a website provided i an arcade
newsgroup .

Dean[_4_] October 24th 08 06:06 PM

Ken G. wrote:
I have an old asteroids full size vintage video game .
I has a black & white monitor .

When it first comes on its fine . Within 10 minutes the whole image gets
bigger , things disappear off the edges . The center of the screen gets
a bit darker .
I suspected the hi voltage diode off the flyback and adjusting the hi
voltage pot but replacing that did not help .

I dont have any model #s the monitor has one medum circuit board and
one small board with the flyback in a metal box .

Thanks

This is an XY monitor, the scan is very different compared to a normal tv.

Try this Page
http://www.gamearchive.com/Video_Gam...i/monitor.html

The fault sounds like b+ is going low, maybe a bad cap in power supply.
I think from memory its 123v to HT Generator Board.

Franc Zabkar October 24th 08 11:04 PM

Arcade game monitor problem

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:33:20 -0600, (Ken G.) put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Thanks Franc .. I dont know which conection is B+ on this . It seems to
be a Wells Gardner monitor according to a website provided i an arcade
newsgroup .

I would think that one end of the primary winding would be connected
to the collector of the switching transistor, the other to the B+.

If the FBT has any part numbers, try locating a substitute he

http://www.hrdiemen.es/products/inde...anguage=eng-GB

The HR substitute will have a wiring diagram with voltages.

I notice that the Wells Gardner Quadrascan colour monitor at the Atari
link provided by Dean uses a HV regulator circuit that senses a 180V
pulse from a tap on the primary winding and uses this feedback to vary
the B+ to the FBT, and thereby control the EHT.

- Franc Zabkar

Yukio YANO October 27th 08 02:13 AM

Ken G. wrote:
I have an old asteroids full size vintage video game .
I has a black & white monitor .

When it first comes on its fine . Within 10 minutes the whole image gets
bigger , things disappear off the edges . The center of the screen gets
a bit darker .
I suspected the hi voltage diode off the flyback and adjusting the hi
voltage pot but replacing that did not help .

I dont have any model #s the monitor has one medum circuit board and
one small board with the flyback in a metal box .

Thanks

Sounds to me, more like the Filament Voltage is dropping, cold solder
joint in filament circuit ?

This describes what happens to the image when I reduce the filament
Voltage on my Transmission Electron Microscope !

Yukio YANO

msg October 27th 08 03:40 AM

Arcade game monitor problem

Yukio YANO wrote:
snip

This describes what happens to the image when I reduce the filament
Voltage on my Transmission Electron Microscope !

Your _own_ TEM? Really! Do you have photos of it on a site somewhere?

Michael