DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003 (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/262925-ashdown-peacemaker-p60-valve-combo-2003-a.html)

N_Cook October 18th 08 09:13 AM

Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003

I discovered how to get into it, remove front knobs etc and remove the facia
panel first.
This amp runs very hot in the region of the EL34 output valves, almost to
the
point of charring the pcb, localised black rather than just brown
discolouration. The valves are inverted and no ventillation path
under or around the valve bases. There is plenty of space to mill holes in
the pcb around the periphery, and avoiding traces, to allow some ventilltion
through. Anyone done this before or aware if it actually reduces localised
heat build-up ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

hr(bob) [email protected] October 19th 08 02:20 AM

On Oct 18, 3:13*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
I discovered how to get into it, remove front knobs etc and remove the facia
panel first.
This amp runs very hot in the region of the EL34 output valves, almost to
the
point of charring the pcb, localised black rather than just brown
discolouration. The valves are inverted and no ventillation path
under or around the valve bases. There is plenty of space to mill holes in
the pcb around the periphery, and avoiding traces, to allow some ventilltion
through. Anyone done this before or aware if it actually reduces localised
heat build-up ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

You have demonstrated a good practical diagnosis many times here, go
for it. Too many of those amps were designed by engineers who never
got to se the final product in operation and had little or no common
sense.

Bob Hofmann

N_Cook October 19th 08 08:18 AM

hr(bob) wrote in message
On Oct 18, 3:13 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

Scraping back some of the pcb surface browning and into the bulk of the pcb
material , the browning extends the depth of the material. Also some brown
staining on the surface of nearby solder points, probably some vapour coming
off the polyester and settling on the solder. No ventillation grill in the
cabinet top either.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Ancient_Hacker October 19th 08 01:50 PM

Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003

You might consider adding a small DC fan. A 12V fan running off a
diode and capacitor off the (supposed) 6.3VAC heaters will be running
relatively quietly at V.

N_Cook October 19th 08 02:24 PM

Ancient_Hacker wrote in message
You might consider adding a small DC fan. A 12V fan running off a
diode and capacitor off the (supposed) 6.3VAC heaters will be running
relatively quietly at V.

I'd half considered a fan but there is no obvious place to put it and
without cutting a hole in the steel chassis or the wood cabinet it would
just be circulating the air, unless mounted outside the chassis , directed
over the bottles. Good idea about the heater supply use.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Sofa Slug October 20th 08 12:04 AM

N_Cook wrote:
Ancient_Hacker wrote in message
You might consider adding a small DC fan. A 12V fan running off a
diode and capacitor off the (supposed) 6.3VAC heaters will be running
relatively quietly at V.

I'd half considered a fan but there is no obvious place to put it and
without cutting a hole in the steel chassis or the wood cabinet it would
just be circulating the air, unless mounted outside the chassis , directed
over the bottles. Good idea about the heater supply use.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

How about "tube coolers"? I've never used them, but if there's no room
for a fan... http://www.partsconnexion.com/audiog...AGES/PEARL.htm

isw October 20th 08 04:48 AM

Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003

In article ,
Sofa Slug wrote:

N_Cook wrote:
Ancient_Hacker wrote in message
You might consider adding a small DC fan. A 12V fan running off a
diode and capacitor off the (supposed) 6.3VAC heaters will be running
relatively quietly at V.

I'd half considered a fan but there is no obvious place to put it and
without cutting a hole in the steel chassis or the wood cabinet it would
just be circulating the air, unless mounted outside the chassis , directed
over the bottles. Good idea about the heater supply use.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

How about "tube coolers"? I've never used them, but if there's no room
for a fan... http://www.partsconnexion.com/audiog...AGES/PEARL.htm

They could get the heat away from the tubes, but it'd still be in the
box. By themselves, they'd probably make little difference.

Isaac

N_Cook October 20th 08 07:52 AM

Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003

isw wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Sofa Slug wrote:

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately I cannot contact the owner , no replies so far.
I intend cutting a 3 x 2 inch hole in the cab top , masked with grill.
Positioning it asymmetrically off-centre in both senses so above the big
bottles and clear of internal encumberances so a 2 inch fan could be fixed
under the grill , later, if required. And the pcb perforations pf course

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

isw October 21st 08 05:08 AM

Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Sofa Slug wrote:

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

If there is not a corresponding hole in the bottom, or the bottom of the
rear panel, you should do that too. Convection can do wonders.

Isaac

N_Cook October 21st 08 07:32 AM

Ashdown Peacemaker P60 valve combo, 2003

isw wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

isw wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Sofa Slug wrote:

If there is not a corresponding hole in the bottom, or the bottom of the
rear panel, you should do that too. Convection can do wonders.

Isaac

EL34 bases are 15mm diam and the metal chassis holes 45mm so plenty of
airgap there, but absolutely no holes through the valve bases or pcb.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England