DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   IC protectors (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/262476-ic-protectors.html)

William Sommerwerck October 12th 08 04:47 PM

IC protectors

In poking around in my JVC hall synthesizer ("not that again!"), I
discovered that the voltage regulators have an "IC protector" in front of
them. The ICP-N38 for the 7805 +5V regulator is blown (ie, open). This might
be the reason the unit is acting funny. (There could be other problems. I'm
still poking.)

Obviously, I have to check "downstream" and make sure there are no shorts.
But I was wondering whether these protectors ever fail spontaneously.

Thank you.

Arfa Daily October 12th 08 09:32 PM

IC protectors

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
In poking around in my JVC hall synthesizer ("not that again!"), I
discovered that the voltage regulators have an "IC protector" in front of
them. The ICP-N38 for the 7805 +5V regulator is blown (ie, open). This
might
be the reason the unit is acting funny. (There could be other problems.
I'm
still poking.)

Obviously, I have to check "downstream" and make sure there are no shorts.
But I was wondering whether these protectors ever fail spontaneously.

Thank you.

Indeed they do William. I replace them all the time with no valid reason
found for their untimely demise, and no bounceback a week later.

Arfa

William Sommerwerck October 12th 08 09:40 PM

IC protectors

Obviously, I have to check "downstream" and make sure there are no
shorts.
But I was wondering whether these protectors ever fail spontaneously.

Indeed they do, William. I replace them all the time with no valid reason
found for their untimely demise, and no bounceback a week later.

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better.

May the humble fisherman make another request of the magic flounder?

My gut feeling is that the ICP was slowly deteriorating, choking off the
current as the unit played, then "recovering" as it sat overnight.

Have you seen anything like that?

Arfa Daily October 13th 08 01:16 AM

IC protectors

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
Obviously, I have to check "downstream" and make sure there are no

shorts.
But I was wondering whether these protectors ever fail spontaneously.

Indeed they do, William. I replace them all the time with no valid reason
found for their untimely demise, and no bounceback a week later.

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better.

May the humble fisherman make another request of the magic flounder?

My gut feeling is that the ICP was slowly deteriorating, choking off the
current as the unit played, then "recovering" as it sat overnight.

Have you seen anything like that?

I've seen them go high resistance rather than totally open, but not
intermittently as far as I can recall. Are they the little TO92 style ones ?
If they've got an "N" number for the rating, I guess they are.

Arfa

William Sommerwerck October 13th 08 02:58 AM

IC protectors

My gut feeling is that the ICP was slowly deteriorating, choking off the
current as the unit played, then "recovering" as it sat overnight.
Have you seen anything like that?

I've seen them go high resistance rather than totally open, but not
intermittently as far as I can recall. Are they the little TO92 style ones

?
If they've got an "N" number for the rating, I guess they are.

No, they're more like little rectangles than flattened cylinders.

Arfa Daily October 13th 08 10:09 AM

IC protectors

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
My gut feeling is that the ICP was slowly deteriorating, choking off the
current as the unit played, then "recovering" as it sat overnight.
Have you seen anything like that?

I've seen them go high resistance rather than totally open, but not
intermittently as far as I can recall. Are they the little TO92 style
ones

?
If they've got an "N" number for the rating, I guess they are.

No, they're more like little rectangles than flattened cylinders.

OK. I guess that I've probably come across such at some time, but not
commonly. The ones that I most often see, are the TO92 style ones, and the
little yellow cylinder ones with rounded ends. Both of those types fail for
no apparent reason, so I guess there's no reason why your type shouldn't do
the same, either.

Arfa