DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TV broken? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/262297-tv-broken.html)

John Bolten October 10th 08 08:31 AM

TV broken?

Hi!

When I switched my CRT TV on, it made a cracking sound (not very loud,
like someone dropped a full PET bottle on the floor in the next room)
and since then, a constant beep-like sound goes off ca. every half
second while there is no other sign of activity of the TV (no picture,
no sound, no CRT buzzing...).

What could be the reason for this behaviour?

Thanks!

William Sommerwerck October 10th 08 12:46 PM

TV broken?

Two guesses (I want to see how my judgement compares with the
more-experienced people here)...

The CRT physically cracked. (Probably not.)

"Something" shorted out (you heard the arcing) and the high current drain is
keeping the power supply from fully turning on. (More likely.)

JW October 10th 08 01:31 PM

TV broken?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:31:34 +0200 John Bolten
wrote in Message id: :

Hi!

When I switched my CRT TV on, it made a cracking sound (not very loud,
like someone dropped a full PET bottle on the floor in the next room)
and since then, a constant beep-like sound goes off ca. every half
second while there is no other sign of activity of the TV (no picture,
no sound, no CRT buzzing...).

What could be the reason for this behaviour?

Shorted HOT would be my guess. The "beeping" you hear is probably the
power supply cycling and shutting down.

[email protected] October 11th 08 02:55 AM

TV broken?

Cowboy Maloney's Electric City stores.Go buy a new tv set.That's what I
did.
cuhulin

hr(bob) [email protected] October 11th 08 05:05 PM

TV broken?

On Oct 10, 2:31*am, John Bolten wrote:
Hi!

When I switched my CRT TV on, it made a cracking sound (not very loud,
like someone dropped a full PET bottle on the floor in the next room)
and since then, a constant beep-like sound goes off ca. every half
second while there is no other sign of activity of the TV (no picture,
no sound, no CRT buzzing...).

What could be the reason for this behaviour?

Thanks!

For starters, it would help to have a make and model number for the
tv. Some sets have certain histories of failures and that information
would be a good starting point.

Bob Hofmann