Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help ! Has anyone repaired a Marantz PM57 Amp ?

I was checking the "idle current" on my beloved PM57 and a freak
accident crashed the right amp - the scope ground lead popped loose
and fell on a component in the circuit and instant smoke ! I was
crushed. I love this amp. Its reproduction is superb. So, I rplaced a
few parts and turned the amp on and more smoke ! What am I doing
wrong ? I am a retired EE with many successful years of design and
building of audio equipment - should I quietly give up ? Someone
mentioned that the "new" Marantz amps are practically impossible to
repair because most of the parts are "selected" when they are built -
Thanks, Jack
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jack wrote in message
I was checking the "idle current" on my beloved PM57 and a freak
accident crashed the right amp - the scope ground lead popped loose
and fell on a component in the circuit and instant smoke ! I was
crushed. I love this amp. Its reproduction is superb. So, I rplaced a
few parts and turned the amp on and more smoke ! What am I doing
wrong ? I am a retired EE with many successful years of design and
building of audio equipment - should I quietly give up ? Someone
mentioned that the "new" Marantz amps are practically impossible to
repair because most of the parts are "selected" when they are built -
Thanks, Jack

magic word "variac"

At least with a stereo amp you can DVM "diode" test between good and bad
channels and remove obvious bad parts. Then gently power up , via a variac,
no speakers, monitoring a few pairs of voltages to home in on some/all ?
remaining obviously bad. Rebuild and power up again via variac , monitoring
a few pairs of votages, etc, When all matches across , connect speakers,
again powering up via variac , increasing volume gradually , still
monitoring a few voltage pairs

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
I was checking the "idle current" on my beloved PM57 and a freak
accident crashed the right amp - the scope ground lead popped loose
and fell on a component in the circuit and instant smoke ! I was
crushed. I love this amp. Its reproduction is superb. So, I rplaced a
few parts and turned the amp on and more smoke ! What am I doing
wrong ? I am a retired EE with many successful years of design and
building of audio equipment - should I quietly give up ? Someone
mentioned that the "new" Marantz amps are practically impossible to
repair because most of the parts are "selected" when they are built -
Thanks, Jack

I have a PDF of the service manual for this model. It is about 2.75 meg in
size, and I can e-mail it to you if you like, and assuming you can take the
attachment.

(This is a good time to mention to the group that I an changing my e-mail
address for the time being...)

You can e-mail me at:

and reverse the domain to read "sbcglobal" and notice there is an underscore
_ between my first and last name.

and I will send the manual.

Also, I have some experience repairing amps and might be able to help with
technical advice.

Mark Z.

Need Marantz 1250 repaired in Pittsburgh area. David Farber Electronics Repair 4 December 15th 07 10:35 PM
Marantz PM 57 Jack Electronics Repair 3 June 8th 07 01:36 AM
NEED YOUR PC REPAIRED?? Mike G Electronics Repair 2 February 25th 06 11:18 AM
Marantz 2216 romero Electronics Repair 3 October 24th 05 10:18 PM
marantz reciver sr-50 repaired arie8004 Electronics Repair 1 January 25th 04 02:08 PM