Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 9 mV noise on AC voltmeter

I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Any idea what could be the problem ?

It's built around a JRC NJU9210BFC.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Je regrette le Concorde. Au moins il vous amenait directement à
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Obviously, "something" is noisy. (Duh...)

Have you asked the manufacturer?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-10-01, Andre Majorel wrote:

I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Obviously, "something" is noisy. (Duh...)

Looks like it's 50 Hz because when trying to measure a 50 Hz
sine from a sound card, the voltage slowly oscillates by about
+/-10 mV around a mean value (fraction of Hz beating against the
sound card).

Have you asked the manufacturer?

No. It's long out of warranty.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Je regrette le Concorde. Au moins il vous amenait directement à
l'hôtel." -- Cyrano
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:24:49 +0000 (UTC), Andre Majorel

On 2008-10-01, Andre Majorel wrote:

I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Obviously, "something" is noisy. (Duh...)

Looks like it's 50 Hz because when trying to measure a 50 Hz
sine from a sound card, the voltage slowly oscillates by about
+/-10 mV around a mean value (fraction of Hz beating against the
sound card).

Have you asked the manufacturer?

No. It's long out of warranty.

It is possible that the shorted leads are acting as a loop antenna and
the 9 mv is legitimate. Does it change if you go outside? Does it
change if you use shorter leads? Coil the leads?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-10-01, Andre Majorel wrote:

I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Obviously, "something" is noisy. (Duh...)

Looks like it's 50 Hz because when trying to measure a 50 Hz
sine from a sound card, the voltage slowly oscillates by about
+/-10 mV around a mean value (fraction of Hz beating against the
sound card).

It is possible that the shorted leads are acting as a loop
antenna and the 9 mv is legitimate. Does it change if you go
outside?

It keeps changing until you hold everything perfectly still. But
even outside, it never goes below 9 mV.

Does it change if you use shorter leads?
Coil the leads?

Not appreciably.

Just tried putting everything in a tin biscuit box and still get
the parasitic reading. Obviously, I couldn't close the box
completely.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Je regrette le Concorde. Au moins il vous amenait directement à
l'hôtel." -- Cyrano

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andre Majorel wrote:

I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Any idea what could be the problem ?

It's built around a JRC NJU9210BFC.

Sounds normal for a cheap meter to me!

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 1, 6:31*pm, Jamie
t wrote:
Andre Majorel wrote:
I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Any idea what could be the problem ?

It's built around a JRC NJU9210BFC.

Sounds normal for a cheap meter to me!

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Could it be that this meter needs to be calibrated? That is, nulled
out on the AC mode? Are there any zero adjustments inside for low AC?
Try putting a very short piece of wire across the input and ground.
That will eliminate the "antenna" effect and pretty much prove that
the noise is inherent in the meter amplifier. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Have you asked the manufacturer?

No. It's long out of warranty.

What does that have to do with it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andre Majorel schrieb:

What I don't get is how, after shorting the plugs with a 2-cm
long piece of wire, switching to "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), switching off all monitors and fluorescent lamps in
the vicinity and going outside, you *still* get 9 mV.

I have an old (~1980) 4.5 digit true rms DMM; given accuracy for
ACV: 0.25% rd. + 20D!

300 mV AC range, input shorted - display 000.12 (mV)
300 mV DC range, input shorted - display 000.00 (mV)

Your reading could be normal for this type of DMM. What says the
manual?

Just my 2 cents

Reinhard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It is normal that on the very low voltage AC scale and the leads are
terminated, the meter will read something. The reading my be in the
area of a small number of millivolts. The higher end meters tend to
have this effect on their lowest scale.

The lead wires can act as a small antenna and can pick up noise. The
input circuit on the meter can also pick up its own internal noise.

My Fluke meters all do that type of effect. I have these serviced and
calibrated at least once per year. If I remember correctly, this
effect is explained in the Leitch meter instruction book.

Jerry G.

On Oct 1, 6:05*am, Andre Majorel wrote:
I've got a Chauvin Arnoux C.A 5220 DMM that bottoms out at 9 mV.
Even with the inputs shorted and in "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), it never goes below 9 mV.

The problem is only for AC. In DC mode, it *does* go down to 0.

Any idea what could be the problem ?

It's built around a JRC NJU9210BFC.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Je regrette le Concorde. Au moins il vous amenait directement à
l'hôtel." -- Cyrano

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It is normal that on the very low voltage AC scale and the leads
are terminated, the meter will read something. The reading may
be in the area of a small number of millivolts.

True, but the OP stated that the reading was the same whether or not the
leads were shorted.

I checked my Fluke 87 set to 4.5 digits. With the leads open, I get a
residual of about 3mV (though this varies with the lead position and
separation, of course). When the test leads are shorted, the reading drops
to less than 2mV and stays there.

I'd say there's definitely something wrong with the OP's meter. Whether it's
significant is another matter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have three Fluke meters, bought them at pawn shops years ago.One of
them has a plug in thermister wire.They all need new batteries.I use Ray
O Vac alkaline batteries.I don't like keeping up with recharging
rechargable batteries.I al Lazy.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-10-04, William Sommerwerck wrote:
It is normal that on the very low voltage AC scale and the leads
are terminated, the meter will read something. The reading may
be in the area of a small number of millivolts.

True, but the OP stated that the reading was the same whether
or not the leads were shorted.

I didn't make myself clear. With the leads open, you get on the
order of 1 V, which doesn't surprise me considering the 10 M
input impedance of the meter.

What I don't get is how, after shorting the plugs with a 2-cm
long piece of wire, switching to "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), switching off all monitors and fluorescent lamps in
the vicinity and going outside, you *still* get 9 mV.

Still no service manual forthcoming from Chauvin-Arnoux. What.
A. Surprise.

I checked my Fluke 87 set to 4.5 digits. With the leads open,
I get a residual of about 3mV (though this varies with the
lead position and separation, of course). When the test leads
are shorted, the reading drops to less than 2mV and stays
there.

I'd say there's definitely something wrong with the OP's
meter. Whether it's significant is another matter.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not
the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists -- Abbie Hoffman.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-10-03, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:
Andre Majorel schrieb:

What I don't get is how, after shorting the plugs with a 2-cm
long piece of wire, switching to "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), switching off all monitors and fluorescent lamps in
the vicinity and going outside, you *still* get 9 mV.

I have an old (~1980) 4.5 digit true rms DMM; given accuracy for
ACV: 0.25% rd. + 20D!

300 mV AC range, input shorted - display 000.12 (mV)
300 mV DC range, input shorted - display 000.00 (mV)

Your reading could be normal for this type of DMM. What says the
manual?

This is a 4000-point meter. For AC voltages, the spec is
"+/-1.5% reading +/-1 count".

I'm not sure what "reading" means in this context. If it means
"whatever number is on the display", 1.5% of 9 mV is 135 µV so
the actual voltage could be anywhere between 7.865 mV and 10.135 mV.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not
the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists -- Abbie Hoffman.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-10-03, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:
Andre Majorel schrieb:

What I don't get is how, after shorting the plugs with a 2-cm
long piece of wire, switching to "Velec" mode (270 k input
impedance), switching off all monitors and fluorescent lamps in
the vicinity and going outside, you *still* get 9 mV.

I have an old (~1980) 4.5 digit true rms DMM; given accuracy for
ACV: 0.25% rd. + 20D!

300 mV AC range, input shorted - display 000.12 (mV)
300 mV DC range, input shorted - display 000.00 (mV)

Your reading could be normal for this type of DMM. What says the
manual?

This is a 4000-point meter. For AC voltages, the spec is
"+/-1.5% reading +/-1 count".

I'm not sure what "reading" means in this context. If it means
"whatever number is on the display", 1.5% of 9 mV is 135 µV so
the actual voltage could be anywhere between 7.865 mV and 10.135 mV.

Just subtract that 9 mV from your readings when using that range.
Unless the thing can be NIST or similar certification for lab work, you
are going to have to put up with it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.