DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TV Guide on Screen Programming (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/261086-tv-guide-screen-programming.html)

[email protected] September 23rd 08 10:05 PM

TV Guide on Screen Programming

When analog TV broadcast signals end in 2009 will
the feature of "TV Guide on Screen Programming" end
also, even when hooked to Comcast cable?

My understand is that this programming information
is piggybacked onto the analog signal of your local
PBS station. It is part of the VBI vertical blanking
interval, so I am thinking this feature will end, but
am not sure.

@ September 25th 08 02:18 AM

On Sep 23, 4:05*pm, wrote:
When analog TV broadcast signals end in 2009 will
the feature of *"TV Guide on Screen Programming" end
also, even when hooked to Comcast cable?

My understand is that this programming information
is piggybacked onto the analog signal of your local
PBS station. It is part of the VBI vertical blanking
interval, so I am thinking this feature will end, but
am not sure.

If I remember correctly, only the information about that particular
channel is in the VBI. this data is still being sent digitally in the
data stream. It's in a standard format that any cable company can
decode. There is a lot of left over room in the new digital stream for
data. A few years ago, we were actually debating what we would put in
that left over bandwidth. I got out of the industry before digital
really took off in our market, so I'm not sure what the outcome was.

@