Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is microwave save without the outside cover screwed on.

I just got out of the hospital with a broken arm and abdominal
surgery. (you don't want to know the gory details) It's very hard to
do anything. I live alone.

I have a small microwave whhich had an intermittent fuse. It would be
great to have hot food. I can replace the fuse but finding and
getting and and putting on the metal cover, the cabinet, is probably
beyond me. It it safe to use without that outside cover? How far
away would I have to be.

What if I do find the cover but I can't do more than lay it on top, in
place, but can't even put one screw in. Does the cover help at all
wihout any screws? What about one screw? Does it have to be in
tight?

Thanks a lot.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I just got out of the hospital with a broken arm and abdominal
surgery. (you don't want to know the gory details) It's very hard to
do anything. I live alone.

I have a small microwave whhich had an intermittent fuse. It would be
great to have hot food. I can replace the fuse but finding and
getting and and putting on the metal cover, the cabinet, is probably
beyond me. It it safe to use without that outside cover? How far
away would I have to be.

What if I do find the cover but I can't do more than lay it on top, in
place, but can't even put one screw in. Does the cover help at all
wihout any screws? What about one screw? Does it have to be in
tight?

Thanks a lot.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

It's safe enough from a radiation standpoint, but there are probably exposed
high voltage parts inside, and don't forget to unplug it before you change
the fuse.

New microwave ovens are cheap. I recommend just replace it.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:43:27 -0500, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
I just got out of the hospital with a broken arm and abdominal
surgery. (you don't want to know the gory details) It's very hard to
do anything. I live alone.

I have a small microwave whhich had an intermittent fuse. It would be
great to have hot food. I can replace the fuse but finding and
getting and and putting on the metal cover, the cabinet, is probably
beyond me. It it safe to use without that outside cover? How far
away would I have to be.

What if I do find the cover but I can't do more than lay it on top, in
place, but can't even put one screw in. Does the cover help at all
wihout any screws? What about one screw? Does it have to be in
tight?

Thanks a lot.

It's safe enough from a radiation standpoint,

That's what worried me.

but there are probably exposed
high voltage parts inside, and don't forget to unplug it before you change
the fuse.

I know to do that, of course, but if there was ever a time I could
forget, this is it. The reminder is appreciated.

Thanks a lot. In that case, I can find some heavy cardboard** or
something to block off the side(s) and top, although it's not really
close to anything.

**In fact when I passed out, fell, and broke my arm, I landed on a
corrugated cardboard box and tore down one or two corners. So I have
lots of extra cardboard now.

New microwave ovens are cheap. I recommend just replace it.

I'm too sick and too weak to go shopping**. Once I'm well enough, it
will be easy to just get some more screws out of the basement and use
them.

**Just getting out of bed is difficult, but sitting in this chair and
typing is pretty easy. I have the computer for radio, and a remote
for the tv.

I have friends, but they've been buying me food, taking me home from
the hospital, back for an apppointment, etc. One attached a rope to
a board he slid under the foot of my bed, and pulling on the rope with
my good arm makes it much easier to sit up in bed. I don't want to
ask for more things. I'm willing to take taxis to the hospital, but
they insist. Still, I don't want to overdo my letting them do me
favors.

The cast comes off in 4 weeks, but my arm will probably hurt worse
after that for a week or two (based on a previous broken leg.)

I expect to be 100% by march or April.

Thanks again.

Mark Z.

--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.