Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default What The Frell Happened?

A few days ago I set my VCR/DVD player to recorrd some program and the
next morning, when the VCR came on, the door to the DVD player came
open with a scream, the tray came out, and it would not close! I
eventually got it shut, but later when I went to play a DVD, there was
no image on the screen and the DVD part seems to be as dead as the
dodo. Does anyone know what happened? Why my DVD player self-
destructed?

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

More than likely there is a mechanical failure in the mechunism for

There is also a possibility that there is a defecive sensor, and thus
the mechunism is out of sequence.

Open the case of the VCR/DVD machine. Check to see if the DVD drive is
a standard IDE or SATA type drive. If it is, most of the off the shelf
DVD writers will work in these machines. You can buy a new DVD drive
and mount it in as like with a PC.

As for these drives they are not supported for service.

For most of the home type consumer electronics, unless the unit is a
very expensive type there will be no service support. During the
warranty the customer is given a complete new unit.

Jerry G.

--

Ron wrote:
A few days ago I set my VCR/DVD player to recorrd some program and the
next morning, when the VCR came on, the door to the DVD player came
open with a scream, the tray came out, and it would not close! I
eventually got it shut, but later when I went to play a DVD, there was
no image on the screen and the DVD part seems to be as dead as the
dodo. Does anyone know what happened? Why my DVD player self-
destructed?

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:

A few days ago I set my VCR/DVD player to recorrd some program and the
next morning, when the VCR came on, the door to the DVD player came
open with a scream, the tray came out, and it would not close! I
eventually got it shut, but later when I went to play a DVD, there was
no image on the screen and the DVD part seems to be as dead as the
dodo. Does anyone know what happened? Why my DVD player self-
destructed?

Things aren't built the way they used to be are they ?

Some years ago I bought a VCR for about £50 just before VCRs became
virtually obsolete. I wanted a cheap 'backup'. It worked OK but lasted
about 3 years before packing up with a tape stuck inside.

***20*** years ago I bought my first VCR for ~ £400. It was a reasonably
high spec model with an LCD remote but there were higher spec models. It
still works, albeit the motor's a bit noisy now and the audio head's a bit
worn and you can hear some wow and flutter but it refuses to die.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
A few days ago I set my VCR/DVD player to recorrd some program and the
next morning, when the VCR came on, the door to the DVD player came
open with a scream, the tray came out, and it would not close! I
eventually got it shut, but later when I went to play a DVD, there was
no image on the screen and the DVD part seems to be as dead as the
dodo. Does anyone know what happened? Why my DVD player self-
destructed?

Ron

Power glitch/spike? Did you unplug it for 5 minutes to see if
would reset?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:

Why my DVD player self-destructed?

Made in China.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message

If it is, most of the off the shelf
DVD writers will work in these machines.

Right, but how the hell is he going to record anything if it didn't have
DVD-RW capabilites to begin with, you top posting jerkoff?

What Happened? GROVER Woodworking 10 March 16th 08 04:00 PM
What Happened?????? SHOOTER1 Woodturning 7 April 16th 07 02:07 PM
What happened to it? [email protected] Metalworking 4 March 16th 06 11:59 PM
Wonder how *that* happened... jim rozen Metalworking 3 September 19th 05 01:44 AM
What happened to IMM? Phil Kyle UK diy 0 February 5th 05 02:24 AM