Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 8mm camcorder , No Playback

I was using my Sony DSC-TVR520 at the ocean, and I got a moisture
error message. Troubleshooting told me to let it stand and dryout for
and hour. I opened the tape bay to take out the tape and it was stuck
to the head. I pulled on the tape and it came out with difficulty.
That tape was streched, but I was able to rewind it. I put in a new
tape and started to record on it and everything worked until I tried
to playback what I just recorded. No play back. I tried playback on
previuouly recorded tapes, and still no playback. All I get is a blue
screen while playback.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thats DCR-TRV520. Great camera. Prolly the coating on the tape is
bonded to the head. Try cleaning it off with alcohol.
JR

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:17:44 -0700 (PDT), AtomicTom
wrote:

I was using my Sony DSC-TVR520 at the ocean, and I got a moisture
error message. Troubleshooting told me to let it stand and dryout for
and hour. I opened the tape bay to take out the tape and it was stuck
to the head. I pulled on the tape and it came out with difficulty.
That tape was streched, but I was able to rewind it. I put in a new
tape and started to record on it and everything worked until I tried
to playback what I just recorded. No play back. I tried playback on
previuouly recorded tapes, and still no playback. All I get is a blue
screen while playback.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I was using my Sony DSC-TVR520 at the ocean, and I got a moisture
error message. *Troubleshooting told me to let it stand and dryout for
and hour. *I opened the tape bay to take out the tape and it was stuck
to the head. *I pulled on the tape and it came out with difficulty.
That tape was streched, but I was able to rewind it. *I put in a new
tape and started to record on it and everything worked until I tried
to playback what I just recorded. No play back. *I tried playback on
previuouly recorded tapes, and still no playback. *All I get is a blue
screen while playback.- Hide quoted text -

JR:
I was in the process of following your advice. I only took off the
cover to the loading tray and slipped in a tape and the camera
started to playback. My only guess was that the camera was still wet
from the moisture warning. The moisture warning must have stopped
prematurely. I proceded to clean the heads as you recommended. Thanks
for the advice.
The only problem that remains from the episode is that one of the
tapes I used during the time the camera became wet appears to have
been erased in the middle. The first 5 minutes of the tape are fine
and then I get a gray snowy picture (unlike the deep blue of a blank
tape).
My next question to you is (being digital) can the missing section of
thetape be recovered. Ther was some memorable footage on that lost
segment. I know there was subject matteron the pate because I had
already viewed it.
thanks again for the advice.
AtomicTom