Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Default Looking for this switch (Midas Venice solo switch)

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

They are pcb vertical mount types, i.e. the control surface is a series
of large flat double sided boards. From appearance I guessed the
switches to be ALPS but the German parts list gives the following
reference as best as I can decode it.

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

It's a latching type btw.

Any help sourcing same would be appreciated. I only need 2 but knowing
this beast one or two more might pack up !

Thanks, Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 07:57:12 +0100, Eeyore
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

I suspect 4xUM means 4PDT, and SCHALTER-TAST means switch-tactile.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:18:55 +1000, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 07:57:12 +0100, Eeyore
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

I suspect 4xUM means 4PDT, and SCHALTER-TAST means switch-tactile.

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Tastschalter/English

Tastschalter

n. push button, press button, electric switch that operates via a
pressing

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

Eeyore put finger to keyboard and composed:

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

I suspect 4xUM means 4PDT, and SCHALTER-TAST means switch-tactile.

That sounds very likely indeed.

I'd imagined SCHALTER might be the brand but that puts a new light on
it. However browsing the ALPS website which I took to be the best bet, I
couldn't find any 4 pole switches of that style. Maybe I'll look again.

Many thanks anyway.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

They are pcb vertical mount types, i.e. the control surface is a series
of large flat double sided boards. From appearance I guessed the
switches to be ALPS but the German parts list gives the following
reference as best as I can decode it.

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

It's a latching type btw.

Any help sourcing same would be appreciated. I only need 2 but knowing
this beast one or two more might pack up !

Thanks, Graham

I have a bunch of finds, none of which may be relevant, but I pass them on
to you. The most interesting is
http://www.henri-electronic.de/start.php?P_989.php, which depicts a
bat-handle Schalter 4XUM.

Nope, none of those. That's when consoles had 'real' switches instead of using
consumer parts ! You'll find those on my first home-made desk.

Have a look at the below link. From what I gather, the actual brand is
"Schalter", which is owned by Assmann. "Tast" is German for "test", which I
suppose is actually a colloquial expression of a function, I don't know
what.

Page down. Besides the DIP switches, there is a type called a "taster."
http://www.bimel.com.tr/urun/pdf/ass...c-switches.pdf

Those are the small low profile tact(ile) switches. This one is much taller.

Also, google for "SCHALTER 4XUM"

No luck with that other than blind alleys.

From Franc's comments I'm thinking again it may be more likely to be an ALPS part
that I didn't see in the online catalogue. Midas do make a point of using ALPS
parts.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Soundhaspriority schrieb:
Have a look at the below link. From what I gather, the actual brand is
"Schalter", which is owned by Assmann. "Tast" is German for "test", which I
suppose is actually a colloquial expression of a function, I don't know
what.

Schalter means switch. "Tast" is most probably an abbreviation for
"Taster", which is a switch that closes (or opens) the connection only
as long as you push it, rather than making the connection until you push
it again. What would be the English term for that kind of switch?

The German word for "test" is "test" as well.

Best from Germany ;-)
Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Boris Lau wrote:

Soundhaspriority schrieb:
Have a look at the below link. From what I gather, the actual brand is
"Schalter", which is owned by Assmann. "Tast" is German for "test", which I
suppose is actually a colloquial expression of a function, I don't know
what.

Schalter means switch. "Tast" is most probably an abbreviation for
"Taster", which is a switch that closes (or opens) the connection only
as long as you push it, rather than making the connection until you push
it again. What would be the English term for that kind of switch?

Momentary as opposed to latching.

But this is actually a latching switch. Maybe I selected the wrong part number.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:
But this is actually a latching switch. Maybe I selected the wrong part number.

Let me know if you need more German assistance ;-)

Boris
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

"Eeysore"

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

** Obviously YOU lack the necessary Midas touch !!!!!

Maybe just a little WD40 down the shaft will do the trick - not a whole
flood of it mind you.

Don't want that precious console to wind up looking like Venice.....

...... Phil ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Boris Lau wrote:

Soundhaspriority schrieb:

Have a look at the below link. From what I gather, the actual brand is
"Schalter", which is owned by Assmann. "Tast" is German for "test",
which I suppose is actually a colloquial expression of a function, I
don't know what.

Schalter means switch. "Tast" is most probably an abbreviation for
"Taster", which is a switch that closes (or opens) the connection only
as long as you push it, rather than making the connection until you push
it again. What would be the English term for that kind of switch?

The German word for "test" is "test" as well.

Best from Germany ;-)
Boris

Momentary ?

That is a switch you must hold and will release (off) when you left go.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:50:03 +0100, Eeyore
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:
Eeyore put finger to keyboard and composed:

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

I suspect 4xUM means 4PDT, and SCHALTER-TAST means switch-tactile.

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Tastschalter/English

Tastschalter

n. push button, press button, electric switch that operates via a
pressing

Indeed it is.

Graham

After some searching, it appears that the term "4xUM" is often
associated with relays.

I now believe that "UM" is an abbreviation for "umschaltung" which
translates to "changeover".

See http://www.dict.cc/german-english/Umschaltung.html

So 4xUM = 4PCO = 4PDT, ie you have a pushbutton switch with 4 pole
changeover contacts. But of course you already knew that from the
outset ... :-)

BTW, my favourite switch lubricant/cleaner is Philips 390CCS.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"Eeysore"

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

** Obviously YOU lack the necessary Midas touch !!!!!

Maybe just a little WD40 down the shaft will do the trick - not a whole
flood of it mind you.

Don't want that precious console to wind up looking like Venice.....

..... Phil ;-)

WD-40 (fish oil as main ingredient or used to be) dries out.

Spraying the contacts for suspected electrical issues, only
temporarily fixes, and normally makes it worse afterwards.

Since most chemicals tend to deteriorate the contact surfaces and
allows for pitted areas that no longer receives regular wiping from the
switch action, erosion sets in.

For proper restoration, switch contacts and surface ways need to
be polished and optionally copper antioxidant applied as used in
wire drawing operations.

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" = Maynard A. Philbrook, KA1LPA

A radio ham & demented coder scribbler by trade.

Phil Allison:

** Obviously YOU lack the necessary Midas touch !!!!!

Maybe just a little WD40 down the shaft will do the trick - not a whole
flood of it mind you.

Don't want that precious console to wind up looking like Venice.....

..... Phil ;-)

WD-40 (fish oil as main ingredient or used to be) dries out.

** WD40 residue is ordinary light oil - whether it evaporates depends on
ambient temperature and local air flow.

At room temp and with no virtually no air flow, that takes years.

Spraying the contacts for suspected electrical issues, only
temporarily fixes, and normally makes it worse afterwards.

** The idea is to clean the surfaces and flush away contaminants.

Nothing to do with mysterious "electrical issues ".

Since most chemicals tend to deteriorate the contact surfaces

** Light mineral oil is not a corrosive "chemical" - you fool.

and allows for pitted areas that no longer receives regular wiping from
the
switch action, erosion sets in.

** A coating of light oil protects the metal surfaces by excluding moisture
and air - you colossally stupid ASS .

Go away.

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 7, 4:05 pm, Jamie
t wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Eeysore"

[...]

so sorry you posted this as PHIL will enter into his diatribe!!!
but you are correct in that wd 40 is not a lubricant!
water displacement formula 40.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
"Eeysore"

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

** Obviously YOU lack the necessary Midas touch !!!!!

Maybe just a little WD40 down the shaft will do the trick - not a whole
flood of it mind you.

Don't want that precious console to wind up looking like Venice.....

WD-40 (fish oil as main ingredient or used to be) dries out.

Spraying the contacts for suspected electrical issues, only
temporarily fixes, and normally makes it worse afterwards.

Which is why I won't be doing that.

Since most chemicals tend to deteriorate the contact surfaces and
allows for pitted areas that no longer receives regular wiping from the
switch action, erosion sets in.

For proper restoration, switch contacts and surface ways need to
be polished and optionally copper antioxidant applied as used in
wire drawing operations.

Or fit a new switch !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:
Eeyore put finger to keyboard and composed:

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

I suspect 4xUM means 4PDT, and SCHALTER-TAST means switch-tactile.

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Tastschalter/English

Tastschalter

n. push button, press button, electric switch that operates via a
pressing

Indeed it is.

After some searching, it appears that the term "4xUM" is often
associated with relays.

I now believe that "UM" is an abbreviation for "umschaltung" which
translates to "changeover".

That makes perfect sense.

See http://www.dict.cc/german-english/Umschaltung.html

So 4xUM = 4PCO = 4PDT, ie you have a pushbutton switch with 4 pole
changeover contacts. But of course you already knew that from the
outset ... :-)

BTW, my favourite switch lubricant/cleaner is Philips 390CCS.

I think these 2 are way beyond that.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

** Light mineral oil is not a corrosive "chemical" - you fool.

It WILL degrade certain plastics.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

I can see your all talk and no experience pecker head!.. this just
proves it..

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Sep 7, 4:05 pm, Jamie
t wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

"Eeysore"

[...]

Yes, I realize my mistake of contradicting Phil. I'm sure this will
get him out of his rat hole to spit out more garbage.

Every one can place the blame on me for this one..!

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

"Eeysore"

Phil Allison wrote:

** Light mineral oil is not a corrosive "chemical" - you fool.

It WILL degrade certain plastics.

** Light oil attacks no plastic - FOOL.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" = Maynard A. Philbrook, KA1LPA

A radio ham & demented coder scribbler by trade.

And a rabid usenet menace by night.

....... Phil

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

"Eeysore" ...
"Jamie" = Maynard A. Philbrook, KA1LPA
A radio ham & demented coder scribbler by trade.

Phil Allison wrote:
"Eeysore"

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

** Obviously YOU lack the necessary Midas touch !!!!!

Maybe just a little WD40 down the shaft will do the trick - not a
whole
flood of it mind you.

Don't want that precious console to wind up looking like Venice.....

WD-40 (fish oil as main ingredient or used to be) dries out.

Spraying the contacts for suspected electrical issues, only
temporarily fixes, and normally makes it worse afterwards.

Which is why I won't be doing that.

** Wot an imbecile.

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"Jamie" = Maynard A. Philbrook, KA1LPA

A radio ham & demented coder scribbler by trade.

And a rabid usenet menace by night.

...... Phil

Ha, is that all you can muster up boy?

I find your lack of creativity on the subject of
profound vocabulation , very boring..

It's my opinion and others may agree that
Phil, appears to be out to pasture.

For some of us, getting old is a real bitch!

P.S.
Have a good day Philis..

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

BTW, my favourite switch lubricant/cleaner is Philips 390CCS.

Oh yes! wonderful stuff, but can you still buy it? I`ve been looking
for ages, some companies list it but can no longer supply.

Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"Eeysore"
Phil Allison wrote:

** Light mineral oil is not a corrosive "chemical" - you fool.

It WILL degrade certain plastics.

** Light oil attacks no plastic - FOOL.

Wanna bet ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"Eeysore" ...
"Jamie" = Maynard A. Philbrook, KA1LPA

Maybe just a little WD40 down the shaft will do the trick - not a
whole flood of it mind you.

Don't want that precious console to wind up looking like Venice.....

WD-40 (fish oil as main ingredient or used to be) dries out.

Spraying the contacts for suspected electrical issues, only
temporarily fixes, and normally makes it worse afterwards.

Which is why I won't be doing that.

** Wot an imbecile.

Indeed.

Instead I have contacted the sales director of Shuttlesound to find out why his
company does not keep adequate spares stock and contacted Bosch/Telex directly
to try and identify the switch.

Incidentally, despite the wording on the back, it was NOT designed in the UK at
all, but entirely by Dynacord. Probably explains the diabolical inter-channel
crosstalk.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:40:22 +0100, "Ron(UK)"

Franc Zabkar wrote:

BTW, my favourite switch lubricant/cleaner is Philips 390CCS.

Oh yes! wonderful stuff, but can you still buy it? I`ve been looking
for ages, some companies list it but can no longer supply.

Ron(UK)

The Philips part number is 4822 389 50125.

I get mine he
http://www.sselectronics.com.au/Prod...%20389%2050125

Cost is AU$13.23, ex-stock.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 03:18:19 -0400, "Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

Have a look at the below link. From what I gather, the actual brand is
"Schalter", which is owned by Assmann. "Tast" is German for "test", which I
suppose is actually a colloquial expression of a function, I don't know
what.

Page down. Besides the DIP switches, there is a type called a "taster."

All this talk about Assmanns, DIPs and tasters is getting me excited!
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

After a few carefully considered phone calls and emails, not least to the
manufacturer and the sales director of the agent, the switch has
mysteriously appeared 'in stock' !

The spares guy made out he'd been ordering some in all along which is funny
since he didn't mention that on Friday !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
bg bg is offline

Eeyore wrote in message ...
I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so.
It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self
cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving
intermittently.

They are pcb vertical mount types, i.e. the control surface is a series
of large flat double sided boards. From appearance I guessed the
switches to be ALPS but the German parts list gives the following
reference as best as I can decode it.

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

It's a latching type btw.

Any help sourcing same would be appreciated. I only need 2 but knowing
this beast one or two more might pack up !

Thanks, Graham

The Ampex ATR700 decks use a switch that might be the same beast. It is a
PCB that slides into the pushbutton. I've seen spares for sale on the net
for that switch. You might want to search for ampex parts. AMpex mailing
list or something like that.
bg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

BTW, my favourite switch lubricant/cleaner is Philips 390CCS.

Oh yes! wonderful stuff, but can you still buy it? I`ve been looking
for ages, some companies list it but can no longer supply.

Ron(UK)

The Philips part number is 4822 389 50125.

I get mine he
http://www.sselectronics.com.au/Prod...%20389%2050125

Cost is AU$13.23, ex-stock.

Looks like it`s no longer available in dear old Blighty, it`s probly got
some evil chemicals in it. Shame cos it was the best switch cleaner I
ever tried.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

After a few carefully considered phone calls and emails, not least to the
manufacturer and the sales director of the agent, the switch has
mysteriously appeared 'in stock' !

The spares guy made out he'd been ordering some in all along which is funny
since he didn't mention that on Friday !

Nearly forgot !

Thanks everyone for all the positive input.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

bg wrote:

Eeyore wrote
[...]

Thanks but that doesn't sound like it. I'm fairly confident it's an ALPS (or
similar) part.

Graham