Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 8 MM VCR Pioneer VE-D70

This machine 8 MM VCR Pioneer VE-D70 is still almost in brandnew
condition although it must be over 10 years old and has been sitting
on the NON-repairables shelf for a long time. It is a nice example of
the few 8 MM Video Recorders which were available on the market.
Problem is:the VCR part totally inoperative, Display section and Tuner
selection OK.
I managed to manually remove the loaded casette by applying some 3VDC
directly to the unplugged threading motor.
Obviously I am missing some of the supply/control voltages. I noted
that every PCB has a few miniature FS fuses but just like other fuses
they are all OK.
Other indications are that pushing power ON/OFF does switch the
display ON/OFF but the GREEN Front Panel LED to tell that power is
applied or system is in SBY does NOT illumunate.
I have no clue as to what PS voltages shall appear where and when. All
my WWW search for a freebee schematic have failed.
I hope that some one at this SCI.electronics group knows the machine a
little better and can give me some hints or provide me with a (partly)
copy of its schematic

TY
Brasto

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brasto wrote:

This machine 8 MM VCR Pioneer VE-D70 is still almost in brandnew
condition although it must be over 10 years old and has been sitting
on the NON-repairables shelf for a long time. It is a nice example of
the few 8 MM Video Recorders which were available on the market.

Well, it's around 20+ years old, not 10.

That model is a re-badged Sony and you might have better luck figuring that
model out and looking for it instead of the Pioneer manual. At one time or
another I stumbled into a couple websites that had reviews of 8mm decks from
that era.

That particular machine was noted because it was one of the few that
supported the PCM recording format, audio only and would provide 24 hours at
LP mode on six tracks.

The downside to it (besides being tape, a dying breed) is it was prior to
the Hi8 format and isn't as useful as one thinks. #2 on this list is parts
were nearly unavailable for it in the early 90's when those deck first
started to fail. These days unless you get one for parts and make one out of
two, nothing in there can be ordered anymore.

The reason I mention that is your specific problem is likely on the power
board, or what resembles one. I might be confusing it with another chassis
but I beleive all roads to the transport end up at an STK device which was
an oddball. At the time (late 80's) there was a concept of splitting the
power supplies, one to feed the video/audio sections and another to do the
dirty work with the motors and transports.

So likely where you are measuring things at now are coming from a different
source than where the motors get fed from. I'd look towards the back of the
machine, the stk was mounted upside down, possibly using the rear as the
heat sink or it was on a heatsink and it was bolted to the chassis.

That deck is a challenge to work on because of the way it's built and I
agree, you probably aren't going to get anywhere without the manual.

Thinking about it, the Sony model was maybe ev-700 or ev-800.

But is from the mid/late 80's, that I'm sure about.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7 aug, 15:37, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
Brasto wrote:
[...]

Hallo Bruce,

That was a good help explaining that this machine has a split
powersupply.
I located the STK5362 and discovered it has 15 VDC as an Input to pin7
and all the other pins are zero or very low.
You are right data on the STK5362 is very rare, guess the machine will
need 5 and 12 VDC at some points.
I'll try to reconstruct the voltages using external powersupplies and
if I resurect the Pioneer VE-D70 this way I'll modify the STK circuits
using some state of the art Voltage regulators.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brasto wrote:

That was a good help explaining that this machine has a split
powersupply.
I located the STK5362 and discovered it has 15 VDC as an Input to pin7
and all the other pins are zero or very low.
You are right data on the STK5362 is very rare, guess the machine will
need 5 and 12 VDC at some points.
I'll try to reconstruct the voltages using external powersupplies and
if I resurect the Pioneer VE-D70 this way I'll modify the STK circuits
using some state of the art Voltage regulators.

I don't know if you received the email, got similar ones from two different
accounts.

The Sony model of that machine is the ev-s700 and a picture of it is he

http://www.totalrewind.org/miniature/M_EVS7.htm

Like I said, it'll still be looking for a needle in a haystack for the
service manual but better odds on Sony than Pioneer.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:50:25 -0700 (PDT), Brasto
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I located the STK5362 and discovered it has 15 VDC as an Input to pin7
and all the other pins are zero or very low.
You are right data on the STK5362 is very rare, guess the machine will
need 5 and 12 VDC at some points.

My vrt databook describes the STK5362 as a "VC, Dual, +5.1V/1.2A,
+9V/0.7A".

FWIW, other "VC Dual" (Video Recorder) parts include ...

STK5346 http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7024.pdf
STK5352 http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7026.pdf
STK5353
STK5361L
STK5364 http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7037.pdf
STK5321-7 series

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10 aug, 00:42, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:50:25 -0700 (PDT), Brasto
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I located the STK5362 and discovered it has 15 VDC as an Input to pin7
and all the other pins are zero or very low.
You are right data on the STK5362 is very rare, guess the machine will
need 5 and 12 VDC at some points.

My vrt databook describes the STK5362 as a "VC, Dual, +5.1V/1.2A,
+9V/0.7A".

FWIW, other "VC Dual" (Video Recorder) parts include ...

STK5346http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7024.pdf
STK5352http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7026.pdf
STK5353
STK5361L
STK5364http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7037.pdf
STK5321-7 series

- Franc Zabkar

Bruce & Frank
TY for your support.
I did figure out the pin-out of my STK 5362 and substituted its 5VDC
and 9VDC output momentarily by external powersupplies and turned on
the VCR.........There was light and rumble now...the casette
compartment opened flawlessly and was brightly illuminated. I flipped
an 8MM casette into the machine, but the door failed to latch....One
could see/hear some motoraction as the tape threading process was
initiated but the guideposts never moved from their unthread position.

After a while compartmentlights went out, (recycling mains & 5-9 VDC
had no result, probably some component had opened up the 9VDC ckt as
current had became a solid zero mA.

Still not having its schematics I was fortunate with the SONY EP-S700
info as provided by Bruce, a friend of mine told me he has a working
EP-S700 at home which I can borrow to do some further experimenting to
fault isolate my machine.
Bruce, you are right almost 25 years old....and a lot of bundled wires
and screws but.....too good looking for the trash and...... being
retired I can afford to waste more time and energy.......

Pioneer RX-570 RDC Electronics Repair 6 March 5th 06 03:51 PM
NEED: Pioneer CDX-PD6 Barry & Nikki Electronics Repair 0 January 22nd 06 11:33 PM
DVI input specification of Pioneer PDP504PE (The screen part of the Pioneer PDP504HDE) Art Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 04 03:48 AM
Pioneer SA-570 peter Electronics Repair 1 June 2nd 04 08:38 PM
Anyone have a source for Pioneer parts? (was: Pioneer VS. Lightning) DFerree923 Electronics Repair 2 August 9th 03 04:10 PM