Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fallen TV - no picture, sound OK

Hi all, I've searched around this group a bit so I think I've and idea
where my problem may lie, but I thought I should ask anyway, just to
make sure.
The TV in question is a Beko 284222WNS. At a recent party in my house,
it was knocked off its table and landed on its screen. The weight of
it ripped the plug out of the wall socket (and broke off the "Earth"
pin, which was actually just a piece of plastic moulded to the plug).
Amazingly it didn't shatter, and from a brief look inside, nothing
seems to be broken or dislodged (it's a wee bit too heavy to pick it
up and shake it to see if anything rattles).
When I powered it up, the picture was gone completely, but the sound
seems to be OK. I can't feel any static from the screen on power-up so
I guess I've got no high voltage. Does this mean a transformer is
busted or could it be something else?
Any advice would be very helpful, I'm just wondering really if it's
worth my while taking it in to be repaired...
Cheers,
Anthony
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 5, 7:01*am, Tony Ramone wrote:
[...]

More likely the printed circuit board is cracked somewhere. A visual
inspection might possibly lead to some thing,m but there are hundreds
of traces, any one of which could be broken.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tony Ramone" wrote in message
[...]

When you dropped it you ****ed it up. Duh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 7, 11:41*am, "Stacey Chuffo" phsd-
wrote:
[...]

Wow, really? Damn, I never considered that...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

It's probably the circuit board that is broken around the high voltage
transformer. This is quite heavy and is usually only carried by the board
itself, so a chock can easily break the board. Look for cracks and broken
tracks and repair the tracks, if you are lucky it hasn't blown anything
else.

--
Ulrik Smed
Aarhus, Denmark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

If there is serious cracking, its best to glue the cracks up *before*
soldering as the flux in the solder will stop glue from sticking. If
any of the high voltage parts have actually broken loose, taking a chunk
of flap of board with them, condemm it. When reparing tracks, the crack
*must* be bridged with wire thin enough to fit on the track, not just
solder. Dont do a point to point 'rats nest' other than purely for
testing - Its a safety issue - Loose wires under the board will reduce
design clearances to ventilation slots in the cabinet base etc.
Be very sure you've found and fixed *all* the cracks before switching it
back on. Ive seen a few spectacular burn-ups when just one small crack
remained!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Maybe you need to read the F.A.Q. for the newsgroup before you post:

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvdropped.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 8, 12:23 am, "Nicole Bischoff" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I hadn't seen that, sorry. And thanks for all the tips
everyone else.