Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Coiled (Rectractile) Coax

Hello, all. I would like to replace the probe cable on a portable Geiger
(GM) counter with a shielded, coiled coaxial cable with male BNC
connectors on both ends. Currently I'm using a straight length of RG-58
but the GM counter originally was supplied with a coiled cable (the outer
rubber (?) covering eventually split in many places). A coiled cable is
no longer available from the manufacturer, Eberline, but I did locate one
from Ludlum (another manufacturer of GM instruments) for about $80.00.
Does anyone know of any other sources of coiled, connectorized cable as a
less expensive alternative? The cable should be shielded and capable of
withstanding at least 1000 VDC (audio/mic cable will not suffice). Thanks
for your time and comment. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

J. B. Wood wrote in message
[...]

Try making your own, It has to have a relatively thick sleeving for it to
work but have a go on a scrap piece or 2

To make coiled extending cable,where off the shelf multicore coiled flex is
not available
This method will work on relatively thick sleeved cable i.e mains rather
than
signal. Find some wooden dowel of the intended internal diameter of the
coiled cable. Nail one end of the plain cable to the dowel,fix the other
end of the cable in a vice; twist the dowel until the cable "upsets". Roll
the cable onto the dowel in the sense that contracts the helix on the
dowel,nail the end that was in the vice. Now while turning the dowel heat
with a hot air gun to the point where the sleeving is about to melt,allow to
cool. Someone told me using a pan of boiling water as the heat source does
the same job but I've not tried it but it would give even heating.

Other hints and tips off the URL below

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "N Cook" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the detailed response! Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337

Coiled Flex - where to buy? 1970alr UK diy 2 September 25th 07 10:21 AM
Trunking (coiled) Grumps UK diy 31 July 20th 07 08:45 AM
Coiled plastic pipe. Stanley UK diy 6 February 22nd 07 05:01 PM
Can a coax connection be partially damaged? Some stations suddenly not coming in on HDTV on coax in. Doc Electronics Repair 8 November 30th 06 01:11 AM
straigning coiled wire [email protected] Metalworking 9 August 24th 05 04:18 PM